2019 O-line discussion

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You read my mind. I was going to ask who the last pro bowler was.

"The last Cardinals offensive lineman drafted by the team to make the Pro Bowl was tackle Luis Sharpe. He was drafted while the team was still in St. Louis in 1982 and was a Pro Bowler from 1987-1989."

Wow. 30 years and not a single pro bowl.

Talk about a blind squirrel that never did find his nut.

Last edited:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I believe this season hinges on the O-Line. Kyler Murray's success hinges on this O-Line's ability to protect him. He had the best Oline in college which gave him tons of time to scan the field and throw to his weapons. He wont have that on this team. He will be running for his life but KM has shown he has superior pocket presence and ability to scramble when needed compared to Rosen. I really hope this Oline doesnt hurt his confidence.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I believe this season hinges on the O-Line. Kyler Murray's success hinges on this O-Line's ability to protect him. He had the best Oline in college which gave him tons of time to scan the field and throw to his weapons. He wont have that on this team. He will be running for his life but KM has shown he has superior pocket presence and ability to scramble when needed compared to Rosen. I really hope this Oline doesnt hurt his confidence.

The best comparison to what he will be facing is what he faced against Alabama. I watched the tape last night. It was rough early, but he recovered. He needs to stay HEALTHY above all. Not ideal for him to start from day 1. The O-line as it stands is respectable unless there is an injury

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The best comparison to what he will be facing is what he faced against Alabama. I watched the tape last night. It was rough early, but he recovered. He needs to stay HEALTHY above all. Not ideal for him to start from day 1. The O-line as it stands is respectable unless there is an injury
I remember Cam Newton (I know people will hate me for keep bringing his name up) scorched us for a record setting 400 yards in a losing effort in his first game in the NFL. Not saying KM would put up those type numbers but since he’s being touted as knowing the offense already and KK being an offensive genius then no doubt he will have a great first game. So I’m not concerned with him starting. The ideal situation is having a seasoned vet start but we don’t have that and I’m not concerned about it. His health depends on how the oline holds up. Gone is that hot garbage from the Bengals and new coaching staff. But it takes time for oline to gel so i expect happy feet from Murray early on and no one should be surprised from that either if he’s getting hammered.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This OL revolves around health. DJ Humphries might not be a great LT but when playing he is starting caliber for example. We have a great OL coach and it seems we have better depth. If this OL stays healthy, there is not a issue

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I remember Cam Newton (I know people will hate me for keep bringing his name up) scorched us for a record setting 400 yards in a losing effort in his first game in the NFL. Not saying KM would put up those type numbers but since he’s being touted as knowing the offense already and KK being an offensive genius then no doubt he will have a great first game. So I’m not concerned with him starting. The ideal situation is having a seasoned vet start but we don’t have that and I’m not concerned about it. His health depends on how the oline holds up. Gone is that hot garbage from the Bengals and new coaching staff. But it takes time for oline to gel so i expect happy feet from Murray early on and no one should be surprised from that either if he’s getting hammered.

The insanity continues.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The insanity continues.
You can be pessimistic all you want and hide it under the guise of being a “realist” but to throw ad hominems like that without a real rebuttal is juvenile and crass to say the least. If I called your stupid and dumb then I’ll get a warning from the mods. How about rebut something with substance next time you want to quote me.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Biggest thing I got from this interview was Gilbert stated the offensive linemen he has been practicing with:

LT: Humphries
LG: Pugh
OC: Shipley
RG: Sweezy
RT: Gilbert

That is just quoting what he said, so take it for what it is worth.

Happy to see they put Pugh at LG, the only place he has ever had success in the NFL. He was Pugh-trid at RG last year.

I am not going to be surprised if Shipley starts at OC, either. I sm not the biggest fan of Shipley but centers in the NFL are currently lacking. The kid out of Georgia looks promising, tho.

I think Mason Cole will be a lifer utility OL player....not a bad thing either.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Stout

Reaction score
You can be pessimistic all you want and hide it under the guise of being a “realist” but to throw ad hominems like that without a real rebuttal is juvenile and crass to say the least. If I called your stupid and dumb then I’ll get a warning from the mods. How about rebut something with substance next time you want to quote me.

You compared him to a historic player/feat and said "no doubt" he'd have a "great" first game. That's beyond homerism. I gave it exactly the amount of attention it deserved. There's COPIOUS amounts of doubt, not least because the team around Murray isn't going to be very good, and even if they gel and become good, it will be farther down the road, not in the 1st game. It's POSSIBLE Murray will be great in the first game, but unlikely. And there's a whole ton of "doubt" about it.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You compared him to a historic player/feat and said "no doubt" he'd have a "great" first game. That's beyond homerism. I gave it exactly the amount of attention it deserved. There's COPIOUS amounts of doubt, not least because the team around Murray isn't going to be very good, and even if they gel and become good, it will be farther down the road, not in the 1st game. It's POSSIBLE Murray will be great in the first game, but unlikely. And there's a whole ton of "doubt" about it.
Blah blah blah I stand by what I said quick nickpicking.

Stout

Reaction score
Blah blah blah I stand by what I said quick nickpicking.

Quick nitpicking? You said "quick" and not "quit." Not sure if I replied quickly enough, though ;)

You can stand by it. Makes about as much sense as William Henry Harrison's going through with his inauguration speech, but you can stand by it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not to mention, you called KK an "offensive genius." Guy has never called an NFL play. We don't know what he is.

I dunno. This criticism seems over the top.

To the Cam Newton thing, that was Ray Horton's first game as the DC, and Patrick Peterson's first game as a pro. Carolina had zero running game that day (56 yards from backs on just 19 total carries). I remember that being one of the most dominant performance by a wide receiver I've ever seen. Steve Smith, Sr. absolutely took Peterson to the woodshed.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I dunno. This criticism seems over the top.

To the Cam Newton thing, that was Ray Horton's first game as the DC, and Patrick Peterson's first game as a pro. Carolina had zero running game that day (56 yards from backs on just 19 total carries). I remember that being one of the most dominant performance by a wide receiver I've ever seen. Steve Smith, Sr. absolutely took Peterson to the woodshed.
It's just a combination of both. To assume we're going to see our rookie QB and coach come out and just full on track meet it to record numbers seems low.

If Kyler puts up 400 with Kliff in game 1, there will be a bonafide media circus around us.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's just a combination of both. To assume we're going to see our rookie QB and coach come out and just full on track meet it to record numbers seems low.

If Kyler puts up 400 with Kliff in game 1, there will be a bonafide media circus around us.

Andy Reid would call Kingsbury for play advice.

I think it's pretty much a given at this point that Kingsbury is an offensive genius.

But that doesnt mean he can run an NFL team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

It's not a crazy proposition though. The teams who have introduced Air Raid concepts (Chiefs, Patriots, Eagles, and Bears) have had a lot of success.

I think you might see more of 285 passing yards, 85 rush yard type games.

If Murray is successful (keyword is IF, dont get all crazy about this statement) he will be one of the hardest players in the NFL to defend. That's why drafting him number one overall makes sense to so many of us. I liked Q Williams and to a lesser extent Bosa, but neither of them could come remotely close to the impact that Murray could potentially create.

But like I said in another thread, boom or bust. Nothing in between. The ultimate gamble on coach and player. And there my friend, is a reason to be excited.