Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He shoots well at and near the hoop but yeah, he is a liability as a shooter from distance and it's foolish to gamble that someone will improve as an outside shooter. But his defense and his high BB IQ are enough to make it a worthwhile gamble IMO.

Anyone we pick is a gamble that’s why I’m not stressing about it but I’m still holding out hope for a trade. If the Suns have interest in the two RFA PG’s I wouldn’t be surprised if we draft a player and trade his rights later.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone we pick is a gamble that’s why I’m not stressing about it but I’m still holding out hope for a trade. If the Suns have interest in the two RFA PG’s I wouldn’t be surprised if we draft a player and trade his rights later.

Agreed. Jones clearly wants more veteran help so he'll trade if he can make it happen but if not, I suspect he'll go for one of the more mature players (such as Clarke) over a younger prospect.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The problem with you guys or galls is the last few drafts have given the Suns Nothing. That does not mean this is the year they pick winner...............

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The problem with you guys or galls is the last few drafts have given the Suns Nothing. That does not mean this is the year they pick winner...............
We have underperformed. However, our choices, have ususally been limited by other team's choices before us.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I really don't get the point of this post. So we should abandon hope? There is a new regime in charge now making the pick. That is enough in itself to give some hope because it's not the same guy who had whiffed quite a few times in the last 5 years.

I don't think anyone is expecting an All-Star either, just a player that will make it through his rookie deal without being a waste of cap space. A rotation player at least, a starter would be great. If we get someone that is more than that, all the better. I don't believe anyone believes we will though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clarke plays pretty physically although obviously he's not exactly huge. Granted he is older than most but AFAIC he was the 2nd best player in college ball this season, I'm not sure why there are so many here that dismiss him. I think he'll have a career at least on par with someone like Sabonis and if you watch him play it's hard to not fall in love with his defense.

I'm certainly not dismissing Clarke but his lack of height, weight and wingspan is concerning for a power forward. His skill set is excellent so there is no denying that but I'm not sure how much he can improve at 23.

The Suns might be better trading the pick unless they like one of the point guards or a big man like Sekou.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly not dismissing Clarke but his lack of height, weight and wingspan is concerning for a power forward. His skill set is excellent so there is no denying that but I'm not sure how much he can improve at 23.

The Suns might be better trading the pick unless they like one of the point guards or a big man like Sekou.

Have no fear, if PF doesn't work we can also use him as a small ball center. :cool:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have no fear, if PF doesn't work we can also use him as a small ball center. :cool:

I guess. This draft appears so weak outside the top three picks.

Someone is going to draft a plum but it will probably be based on upside. Perhaps someone like Sekou, Bazley or Obiesie.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My only fear about Clarke is he is a phenomena in college basketball. Kind of worries me like Jimmer Freddette. Jimmer was great in college. A little slow, a little small, a little lacking athletically. Nothing glaringly obvious. In fact, he looked like a safe pick. However, he was just a little off all around, he's not a starting NBA caliber player. Maybe a bench guy. In different countries leagues he can be a star. I worry about that with Clarke. Size wise, I feel he will gravitate towards SF in the NBA. Do we need another SF right now? Will he help us as an asset in the future, trading an undersized PF/C? I think we pick him to keep him as a bench guy. If the Suns are fine with that, then pick him. I can't see us picking him as an assest, or as a starter.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I know his tenure ended on a sour note but Markieff Morris didn't have the height or wingspan you want for a PF but played pretty well as a PF here for 4-5 years. I know he was listed as 6'10" but he seemed to be a short 6'10". Marcus is listed at 6'9", which I think is more accurate for Markieff as well. He's had a good career, up until injuries got him this season. Markieff didn't have a long wingspan either.

I looked up their measurements and Markieff measured 6'7 & 3/4" out of shoes with a 6'10 & 3/4". That is compared to Clarke.

Clarke has a much better motor than Markieff ever did also. I'm not worried about what Clarke will do in the NBA. He'll probably add some muscle to help make up for his lower weight. He was ok to play at that size in college but he'll learn that won't cut it in the NBA. Hopefully adding muscle doesn't negatively impact his game.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know his tenure ended on a sour note but Markieff Morris didn't have the height or wingspan you want for a PF but played pretty well as a PF here for 4-5 years. I know he was listed as 6'10" but he seemed to be a short 6'10". Marcus is listed at 6'9", which I think is more accurate for Markieff as well. He's had a good career, up until injuries got him this season. Markieff didn't have a long wingspan either.

I looked up their measurements and Markieff measured 6'7 & 3/4" out of shoes with a 6'10 & 3/4". That is compared to Clarke.

Clarke has a much better motor than Markieff ever did also. I'm not worried about what Clarke will do in the NBA. He'll probably add some muscle to help make up for his lower weight. He was ok to play at that size in college but he'll learn that won't cut it in the NBA. Hopefully adding muscle doesn't negatively impact his game.
Aside from his attitude, the only problem I had with Markieff was his motor, or lack of consistency. One game he would throw out a 20/10 game and look dominant, then next game it would be 12/6. He could have been a consistent 20/10 guy easy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Markieff had a shorter wing span as well but I have not looked it up.

For the lack of a better comparison Clarke reminds me of Sam Dekker.

If Clarke is playing at 207 after 3 years of college, I wonder how much weight he can successfully carry.

Clarke does sound like a "culture" pick which the Suns are trying to build so I will embrace it but the Suns fans have gone from wanting Zion or Morant to something less.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are reportedly high on Jarrett Culver.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where the heck do they plan to play him?

He is our combo guard. :D

It sounds like the Hawks might want to move up to grab him. They have the picks to offer.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Where the heck do they plan to play him?
I think this is one of those things the Cardinals were trying to do with their pick. Gin up interest to trade with us for our 6th pick. Hey team with three picks, we like the guy you like!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is one of those things the Cardinals were trying to do with their pick. Gin up interest to trade with us for our 6th pick. Hey team with three picks, we like the guy you like!

Let's hope the Suns do a better job.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I would love to come out of this with 8 or 10 and 17, but something tells me that the Suns' front office is dumb enough to try for a third time the twice-proven failure that is the Point Book experiment...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is our combo guard. :D

It sounds like the Hawks might want to move up to grab him. They have the picks to offer.

That's encouraging. I'd prefer to have #10 & #17 to #6. I can't see Atlanta moving a future pick as part of that deal so that's the best we could probably get out of them. I don't see their #8 pick being involved but I'll take #8 & #17 also.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's encouraging. I'd prefer to have #10 & #17 to #6. I can't see Atlanta moving a future pick as part of that deal so that's the best we could probably get out of them. I don't see their #8 pick being involved but I'll take #8 & #17 also.
Just thinking Atlanta probably benefits from going from 3 picks down to 2 as a side benefit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Picks #10 and #17 would be awesome but why don't they deal with Cleveland or the Lakers.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I keep reading they feel he and Booker can play together. I am thinking that makes Booker PG at least in the fourth quarters for them to be on the court together?

Edited to make PG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison