Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns appear to have strong interest in Brandon Clarke.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The irony is that Clarke is the spitting image of Jordan Bell, whom the Suns passed up for Davon Reed in the second round two years ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he probably wouldn’t bust, but I can’t see him ever being anything more than a role player.

The irony is that Clarke is the spitting image of Jordan Bell, whom the Suns passed up for Davon Reed in the second round two years ago.

I've seen the Jordon Bell comparison as well except Bell was heavier, taller and had a better wingspan.

Clarke is an undersized power forward.

If the Suns could trade down and pick up another asset it makes more sense but still I am not high on this selection.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've seen the Jordon Bell comparison as well except Bell was heavier, taller and had a better wingspan.

Clarke is an undersized power forward.

If the Suns could trade down and pick up another asset it makes more sense but still I am not high on this selection.

Bell was one inch taller and less than 10 pounds heavier, but I get it. Clarke really is a poor man's version of Bell. Both are high energy guys with quick second jumps that enhance rebounding and shotblocking abilities but with no outside shooting capabilities whatsoever. Best case scenario is Shawn Marion with an even uglier shot and without the lateral movement that allows for versitility on the defensive end (including good perimeter defense).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bell was one inch taller and less than 10 pounds heavier, but I get it. Clarke really is a poor man's version of Bell. Both are high energy guys with quick second jumps that enhance rebounding and shotblocking abilities but with no outside shooting capabilities whatsoever. Best case scenario is Shawn Marion with an even uglier shot.

I would never compare Clarke to Marion even looking for upside. Marion was an athletic freak.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am SO glad Clarke is ranked 6th on Evan Sidery's big board!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If we get a very good role player out of the pupu platter that is this draft, isn’t that a win? It would be in my book.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might the Suns look at shooting guard/point guard Josh Obiesie with the 32nd pick.

He is a very athletic 19 year old guard from Germany who can pass and shoot. Tankathon has him going #35.

Obiesie stands at 6'6."

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress

German guard Josh Obiesie will keep his name in the 2019 NBA draft, his agent @yenal7 told ESPN.

2:14 PM - 10 Jun 2019

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bell was one inch taller and less than 10 pounds heavier, but I get it. Clarke really is a poor man's version of Bell. Both are high energy guys with quick second jumps that enhance rebounding and shotblocking abilities but with no outside shooting capabilities whatsoever. Best case scenario is Shawn Marion with an even uglier shot and without the lateral movement that allows for versitility on the defensive end (including good perimeter defense).

Where on earth does that comparison come from?

Marion was a rebounding monster who could jump out the gym and was a lousy 3pt shooter. Clarke is none of that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If we get a very good role player out of the pupu platter that is this draft, isn’t that a win? It would be in my book.

That's exactly how I see it. Honestly, if they can even end up with a solid bench player, I'd be thrilled.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Where on earth does that comparison come from?

Marion was a rebounding monster who could jump out the gym and was a lousy 3pt shooter. Clarke is none of that.

Good point (though Clarke has an even worse 3pt shot than Marion). Bo Outlaw with a better free throw shot is probably a better comparison in terms of former Suns.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how I see it. Honestly, if they can even end up with a solid bench player, I'd be thrilled.

how much does this suck that we are coming off our worst season in the team's history and most of us are hoping we can come away from the draft with... a role player. Good gravy.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
how much does this suck that we are coming off our worst season in the team's history and most of us are hoping we can come away from the draft with... a role player. Good gravy.

Well, it depends on your perspective. In my view, they have Booker and Ayton, and then they have Bridges and probably Oubre too. At that point, the list of actual NBA players on their roster ends. I suppose Melton and Holmes have proven to be legitimate NBA backups, thanks to their defense and energy. I think they just need more NBA players more than they need a "potential" star. Another way to describe my perspective is that I don't want to pass up an actual NBA player in favor of drafting another Bender, Chriss, or even JJ.

Imagine if they drafted Sabonis instead of Bender or Chriss in 2016. Now, I haven't watched much college basketball this year so I have no idea as to how good this kid is. Sabonis is going to be a starter next year, so it might not be a good comparison, but the point is that I'd rather get even a backup NBA player instead of another Bender or Chriss.

EDIT: I forgot Warren. He is a legitimate NBA player too.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns are going to draft a bench player I'd prefer they draft a point guard or someone that can bang a little.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have been looking at how deep Toronto is, and even GS. We don't have the same quality guys, at the depth they have. It's really misleading because we have depth at SF. However, we don't have the same depth at SG, PG, or PF. We were arguably OK at Center. Look at Toronto's roster and they have really good quality depth. We don't have a solid starting five, and arguably not depth either. We are not a play off team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course there is this Brandon Clarke.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’m not. Culver and garland should be better than that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns are going to draft a bench player I'd prefer they draft a point guard or someone that can bang a little.

Clarke plays pretty physically although obviously he's not exactly huge. Granted he is older than most but AFAIC he was the 2nd best player in college ball this season, I'm not sure why there are so many here that dismiss him. I think he'll have a career at least on par with someone like Sabonis and if you watch him play it's hard to not fall in love with his defense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Clarke plays pretty physically although obviously he's not exactly huge. Granted he is older than most but AFAIC he was the 2nd best player in college ball this season, I'm not sure why there are so many here that dismiss him. I think he'll have a career at least on par with someone like Sabonis and if you watch him play it's hard to not fall in love with his defense.

He’s older (for a prospect) and still too slim. That’s the most concerning thing about him after not being able to shoot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

His age and measurement, particularly his measurements, work against him. I think most would have liked the pick if he had a 7' wingspan but 6'10" isn't great for a PF. Of course wingspan seems to be the new measurement that everyone judges a player by.

There are plenty of players without a great wingspan but they're seen as the exception rather than the norm. Guys like Jimmy Butler though are the perfect example of a players wingspan not hindering their ability, if at all, on either side of the ball. If a guy can play then he can play.

I can see using wingspan as an important measurement if you're drafting someone who is a project but the Suns have drafted enough projects that didn't pan out. Clarke is as much of a sure thing as there is in this draft and although he might not become an All-Star he could be a good starter for years to come.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s older (for a prospect) and still too slim. That’s the most concerning thing about him after not being able to shoot.

He shoots well at and near the hoop but yeah, he is a liability as a shooter from distance and it's foolish to gamble that someone will improve as an outside shooter. But his defense and his high BB IQ are enough to make it a worthwhile gamble IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see using wingspan as an important measurement if you're drafting someone who is a project but the Suns have drafted enough projects that didn't pan out. Clarke is as much of a sure thing as there is in this draft and although he might not become an All-Star he could be a good starter for years to come.

This last paragraph says it nicely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92