Reaction score
T Wolves make Ryan Saunders official head coach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is that Flip's son?

yep.

A friend of mine knows the family fairly well she was an original T Wolf season ticket holder so she's known Saunders since he was a kid. She's thrilled, no longer lives in Minnesota but very happy they hired the son.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If an insider's expose of Sarver becomes public knowledge, and the embarrassment
to Sarver forces him and his cronies to sell the team, that would be a benefit to
the Suns in the long run. Unless his successor moves the team, as Sarver himself
threatened to do.

Sarver did not threaten to move the team. Repeating that over and over only hurts your credibility and strengthens the viewpoint that you're biased against Sarver.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Sarver did not threaten to move the team. Repeating that over and over only hurts your credibility and strengthens the viewpoint that you're biased against Sarver.
I didn't make it up. Sarver's damage control the next day didn't negate what we all read.

Again, you can hold me accountable for the Suns performance this past decade, but ASFN
posters know that no fans have control over that. Obviously.

Why are you defending him? Are you pleased with what he has done to the reputation of
the Suns? Or the dysfunctional state of our roster?

I don't know why I keep giving you the courtesy of an answer to your "credibility" accusations.

I guess it's getting close to put you on ignore again. You are the only poster to whom I have
done that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't make it up. Sarver's damage control the next day didn't negate what we all read.

Again, you can hold me accountable for the Suns performance this past decade, but ASFN

Why are you defending him? Are you pleased with what he has done to the reputation of

I don't know why I keep giving you the courtesy of an answer to your "credibility" accusations.

I guess it's getting close to put you on ignore again. You are the only poster with whom I have
done that.

It should have considering the denial came from the only person who made the claim. He admitted that he hadn't even talked to Sarver and he was using an old comment from someone else in Suns management to justify the idea there was a threat hanging over the decision.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess it's getting close to put you on ignore again. You are the only poster to whom I have
done that.

It was not Sarver's damage control, it was the council member that made up that claim. This has been covered before, in fact I've spoken with you about this. I'm quoting a previous post below that addresses it entirely, quotes sources and backs up that Sarver did not threaten to move the team like you claim.

Don't try to blame the victim, I'm not blaming you or holding you accountable for the Suns performance. I am holding you responsible for what you say though because what you are saying here is false. This has nothing to do with the dysfunction of the Phoenix Suns over the last decade or their reputation.

If you want to put on ignore simply because I don't sit back and allow you to post false or incorrect information then that says a lot about you as a person.

We all make mistakes, maybe you didn't read about the retraction made by the council member who said Sarver threatened to move the team, I don't know. However threatening to put me on ignore because I'm willing to prove that what you said is incorrect is very Trump-esque. I don't know how else to put it.

Don't try to make yourself the victim though because I point out incorrect incorrect information that you post as fact. I've never seen anyone else do that. This isn't personal, I would say this to anyone claiming such a thing because it's not true. I'm standing up for Sarver at all, I'm simply saying what actually occurred, and if that makes Sarver look better than you'd like then that's too bad, no one should dislike him or judge him based on false information.

Do you just believe anything that allows you to blame Sarver?

From Gambo...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Article mentioned by Gambo going into more detail about the error made in reporting the initial claim that Sarver threatened to move the team...
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opi...leave-phoenix-we-want-stay-valley/2305904002/

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
IIRC, Sarver did not deny making the comment the next day. It was more like him saying he won't do it.

I don't consider Gambo to be the be-all and end-all. I just know that it was offensive to Suns fans.

And, damnit, as one of them, I had a right to react. Especially with the other flaky things we've heard.

As I've posted in the past . . . attack problems, not people. Hoop's analysis that I have an obsession with
Sarver is off the wall and a weak defense to what he just described as "the dysfunction of the Phoenix
Suns over the last decade or their reputation."

I ask again why is he defending the lack of leadership of this ownership group who stumbled into a
billion dollar windfall and don't do anything about the declining quality of the product.

I wouldn't call that an obsession. I call it is being a fanatic. Which is what the term 'fan' comes from.

I believe that Hoop is playing me. I had hoped that when I took him off ignore, we could have objective
conversations about the Suns.

One more personal attack from him, and it will be ignore forever. Sad!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not defending the leadership of the Suns or Robert Sarver from anything except for an incorrect claim that was fabricated by a Phoenix city council member that you repeat as fact. Sarver did not threaten to move the team, that's all I'm saying. There is evidence to back that up also, that the council member made that up. I've provided proof of that because that member was forced to publicly apologize and admit they made that claim up. That's all.

If you want to continue to dislike Sarver for what he has done to the Suns over the last 15 years or so, go right ahead. You have that right as a fan. When you mention what he's done wrong though you should stick to the facts and leave the claim he threatened to move to the team out of Phoenix out of it. We all know he's done enough to rake him over to the coals for days, weeks, or months. There is no shortage of mistakes and stupid decisions that have come from Sarver's tenure as owner. However when you include something that didn't happen, that brings everything you say into question.

If someone were to say something like they don't like cigarettes because they smell bad, they damage people's health, they're expensive, and they also spontaneous explode in people's pockets. I would call them out on that because one of those is false and it damages all of the other claims they made. There is no reason to include some false claim because it only hurts the entire position rather than help it. Do you understand what I mean? I wouldn't say someone who called out the person for disliking cigarettes was making excuses for the tobacco industry or standing up for the tobacco industry. They're simply calling into question why a false item would be included with other verifiably true facts.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am not defending the leadership of the Suns or Robert Sarver from anything except for an incorrect claim that was fabricated by a Phoenix city council member that you repeat as fact. Sarver did not threaten to move the team, that's all I'm saying. There is evidence to back that up also, that the council member made that up. I've provided proof of that because that member was forced to publicly apologize and admit they made that claim up. That's all.

If you want to continue to dislike Sarver for what he has done to the Suns over the last 15 years or so, go right ahead. You have that right as a fan. When you mention what he's done wrong though you should stick to the facts and leave the claim he threatened to move to the team out of Phoenix out of it. We all know he's done enough to rake him over to the coals for days, weeks, or months. There is no shortage of mistakes and stupid decisions that have come from Sarver's tenure as owner. However when you include something that didn't happen, that brings everything you say into question.

If someone were to say something like they don't like cigarettes because they smell bad, they damage people's health, they're expensive, and they also spontaneous explode in people's pockets. I would call them out on that because one of those is false and it damages all of the other claims they made. There is no reason to include some false claim because it only hurts the entire position rather than help it. Do you understand what I mean? I wouldn't say someone who called out the person for disliking cigarettes was making excuses for the tobacco industry or standing up for the tobacco industry. They're simply calling into question why a false item would be included with other verifiably true facts.
OK. you've made your point! All three paragraphs of it. As a Phoenician, I took offense when I read about a threat to move our team. As, I expect, you probably did, too.

Now, let's talk basketball. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. you've made your point! All three paragraphs of it. As a Phoenician, I took offense when I read about a threat to move our team. As, I expect, you probably did, too.

Now, let's talk basketball. :)

For sure, I don't like Sarver. I'd gladly slap the taste of his mouth with his foam finger if I was ok with the felony charge that would follow but I'd rather not lose the rights that come with being a felon.
:trout:

If I knew I'd only get a misdemeanor and a night or two in jail for it though? I'd do it in a heart beat.

It's nothing personal between me and you though. I only want to make sure the facts are known and covered accurately.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
For sure, I don't like Sarver. I'd gladly slap the taste of his mouth with his foam finger if I was ok with the felony charge that would follow but I'd rather not lose the rights that come with being a felon.
:trout:

If I knew I'd only get a misdemeanor and a night or two in jail for it though? I'd do it in a heart beat.

It's nothing personal between me and you though. I only want to make sure the facts are known and covered accurately.
Thanks, Hoop. :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Wow! I can't believe I read ALL that exchange between HOOP and BC. :oops:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not saying I think what Magic said is 100% true but Rob Pelinka has always been an odd dude. He’s got that weird soft-spoken salesman vibe when I hear him speak where you roll your eyes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thrilled with the Suns hiring Monty Williams but dang. Why didn't they hire Mike Budenholzer.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski

Budenholzer has started to build an impressive coaching tree, including Quin Snyder (Jazz) and Kenny Atkinson (Nets).

Adrian Wojnarowski added,

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn

Milwaukee assistant Taylor Jenkins interviewed for the Memphis Grizzlies coaching job, league sources tell ESPN. Jenkins has been on Mike Budenholzer’s staff with Bucks and Hawks and served as a Spurs G League head coach.

12:09 PM - 24 May 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thrilled with the Suns hiring Monty Williams but dang. Why didn't they hire Mike Budenholzer.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski

Budenholzer has started to build an impressive coaching tree, including Quin Snyder (Jazz) and Kenny Atkinson (Nets).

Adrian Wojnarowski added,

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn

Milwaukee assistant Taylor Jenkins interviewed for the Memphis Grizzlies coaching job, league sources tell ESPN. Jenkins has been on Mike Budenholzer’s staff with Bucks and Hawks and served as a Spurs G League head coach.

12:09 PM - 24 May 2019

If we hired Coach Bud then we wouldn't have the highly sought after #6 pick this year!

I believe that we tried to hire him but he saw the writing on the wall and passed. He had an interview on one day and then the next day he met with Sarver and reports came out he was not taking the job. Not long after that he was in contact with the Bucks to take over and we ended up with Joe Prunty for our troubles.

That was back when McD was GM so who knows where we'd be right now if Budenholzer had taken the position. If he had, I don't know if McD would have been fired. Although some have suggested James Jones helped push McD out, I don't think James Jones did anything other than his own job and was honest with Sarver, which led to McD getting the boot.

I prefer the James Jones, Jeff Bower, Monty Williams sort of staff tree to McD, Jones, and Budenholzer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we hired Coach Bud then we wouldn't have the highly sought after #6 pick this year!

I believe that we tried to hire him but he saw the writing on the wall and passed. He had an interview on one day and then the next day he met with Sarver and reports came out he was not taking the job. Not long after that he was in contact with the Bucks to take over and we ended up with Joe Prunty for our troubles.

That was back when McD was GM so who knows where we'd be right now if Budenholzer had taken the position. If he had, I don't know if McD would have been fired. Although some have suggested James Jones helped push McD out, I don't think James Jones did anything other than his own job and was honest with Sarver, which led to McD getting the boot.

I prefer the James Jones, Jeff Bower, Monty Williams sort of staff tree to McD, Jones, and Budenholzer.

I suspect if the Suns offered Budenholzer the same package as Monty Williams he would be the Suns head coach.

Maybe Jones, Bowers and Budenholzer would have still happened.

Anyway, we are good!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick Nurse may coach the Canadian basketball team.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

Raptors coach Nick Nurse, fresh off taking Toronto to its first NBA Finals in his maiden season as an NBA head coach, is the top choice of Canada Basketball to coach Canada at the 2019 @FIBAWC in China, league sources say

11:15 AM - 26 May 2019

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose