Phoenix Suns have begun search for new general manager

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
How hard is it to understand that when you become a fan of a team that even if you relocate yourself you are still a fan of the team? Fandom doesn't die because you move. Being a fan of a team only changes when that team does the same. You don't need to be local to support a team. How many games do you attend a year? If the answer is zero then why is it really that much different for you to root for the Suns from the same city they play in vs rooting from them from a few hundred miles away?

Why does this even need to be debated though, why do you think there are certain levels to fandom and that you are more of a fan because you are in the same city that the team is? Quit trying to hold yourself above others, whether it's intentional or not, that is what you are doing.
Probably because he himself defected years ago unlike many of us who continue to stay loyal to our team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one putting up with the garbage the last 2 years have been deserve to have their fandom questioned, especially because they live in a different area code. We are all suffering through the worst seasons in franchise history because we love the Phoenix Suns. The last thing anyone should endure here is having their fandom questioned. I know we're all guilty of calling others basketball knowledge into question at times but ultimately not one person is rooting for more terrible seasons.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which is my point. You and I are local fans and would not continue to root for the Suns if Sarver moved them.

My question was to Ouchie whose home is listed as SoCal. His proximity is no closer to Phoenix than Las Vegas. So I asked why he would stop rooting for them if they moved.

I guess the warm spot is for Phoenix. I get it!
I do not think proximity matters to others as much as it does to you BC. There can be die hard fans living in Phoenix who are just as passionate about the Suns as someone living in Russia.

Anyone who hasn’t jumped ship after the disastrous last 10 years in Phoenix Suns history is a die hard fan....regardless of their proximity to Phoenix.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No one putting up with the garbage the last 2 years have been deserve to have their fandom questioned, especially because they live in a different area code. We are all suffering through the worst seasons in franchise history because we love the Phoenix Suns. The last thing anyone should endure here is having their fandom questioned. I know we're all guilty of calling others basketball knowledge into question at times but ultimately not one person is rooting for more terrible seasons.
^yeah this.

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please help me understand why you'd be done with the Suns if they move to Las Vegas. Your proximity would be about the same.

I wonder why so many San Diego natives living in the Los Angeles area STOPPED rooting for the Chargers after they moved to Carson. :rolleyes:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please help me understand why you'd be done with the Suns if they move to Las Vegas. Your proximity would be about the same.
As you said, you're emotionally attached to the Suns.

Whereas those of us in the Valley would lose our home team Suns and Mercury. And the ability to attend games.

I realize that my resentment is jaded by the disreputable owner of the Suns who threatened to move them.

Especially as long as Sarver continues destroying our team, my loyalty is to my home city, not to him.

And if he moved them and we got an expansion/transferred team, I'd be supporting them in a heartbeat

this is beyond stupid. Just because you bailed on your loyalty to your hometown teams when you moved to Phoenix years ago doesn't mean everyone else does.

Ouchie, like me and i'm guessing others here, are loyal to the PHOENIX Suns because that's where we were born and raised. If they ever moved they'd be dead to us no matter where we live.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
On the radio John Gambadoro today said his sources said someone with NBA experience will be hired for the front office. Gambo said he was not told what capicity or title, but the person would have legit NBA front office experience.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the only semi-rational reason for me rooting hard for one group of athletes to beat another group of athletes is because i've been exposed to them more and i like what i see

but then, i might like the other guys too if i got to know them better

i like this roster. i like them better than last year's roster. i like Igor but i think he's a bad coach. i like Booker a little less because his leadership has not matured. i like Ayton even though he's soft, and Holmes, Oubre, JJ, Melton, and Bridges because they're aggressive.

i don't believe i could root for the Suns if Kobe or Westbrook or Carmelo was their superstar.
and i would never not be honest in evaluating someone's position or performance with the Suns just because i live in the same city they work in

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As you said, you're emotionally attached to the Suns.

Whereas those of us in the Valley would lose our home team Suns and Mercury. And the ability to attend games.

I realize that my resentment is jaded by the disreputable owner of the Suns who threatened to move them.

Especially as long as Sarver continues destroying our team, my loyalty is to my home city, not to him.

And if he moved them and we got an expansion/transferred team, I'd be supporting them in a heartbeat

I think you have to be willfully obtuse to ask if it would make a difference with any seriousness. By questioning why the Suns remaining in Phoenix matters, you are by extension questioning his bond with his hometown. Actually, not even by extension: that is mainly what you are doing. And it didn't just "dawn" on you, because you wrote this diatribe with the zeal of a convert before:

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/four-categories-of-phoenix-suns-fans.216542/

I'll speak for myself. Vegas would be as easy to get to for me as Phoenix, and probably cheaper. Yes, if the Suns moved there I could go see a Las Vegas Suns game. But there would be no family, no friends, no Phoenix experience, no visiting home. It makes a difference.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be okay with the Las Vegas Suns. We wouldn't replacing or stealing another team as there's never been an established NBA team there.

As a kid I grew up a Bulls fan until the early 90's, mostly due to MJ, and found myself becoming a Suns fan during their championship run.

I grew up without access to the Suns games, and the only channel that I could constantly get while growing up was WGN. They would cast every Bulls game and probably still do.

Although I work in the valley now, I despise this place, yes i'm an AZ native but not native to the valley. I spend and enjoy it more in Vegas. Honestly I'd probably watch more games if they moved there.

I'd still stand behind the Suns if they moved there, but wouldn't if they moved to an established market like CA or as a replacement to the Sonics.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'd be okay with the Las Vegas Suns. We wouldn't replacing or stealing another team as there's never been an established NBA team there.

As a kid I grew up a Bulls fan until the early 90's, mostly due to MJ, and found myself becoming a Suns fan during their championship run.

I grew up without access to the Suns games, and the only channel that I could constantly get while growing up was WGN. They would cast every Bulls game and probably still do.

Although I work in the valley now, I despise this place, yes i'm an AZ native but not native to the valley. I spend and enjoy it more in Vegas. Honestly I'd probably watch more games if they moved there.

I'd still stand behind the Suns if they moved there, but wouldn't if they moved to an established market like CA or as a replacement to the Sonics.

I'd want Phoenix to keep the name "Suns" like Seattle did with the name "SuperSonics."

Actually if the Suns were renamed it might actually make it easier for you to accept a move to Las Vegas.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd want Phoenix to keep the name "Suns" like Seattle did with the name "SuperSonics."

Actually if the Suns were renamed it might actually make it easier for you to accept a move to Las Vegas.

See I couldn't make them my team if they were renamed Las Vegas "Insert team name here"

Weird huh.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
See I couldn't make them my team if they were renamed Las Vegas "Insert team name here"

Weird huh.

Yeah. I can't figure the whole thing out. It's probably like a marriage. LOL

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There would be no good reason for the NBA to sanction a move by the Suns to Las Vegas. If such a move was made, the team would be moving from the 12th biggest media market to what would be the 27th. A banker like Sarver would never want to do that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There would be no good reason for the NBA to sanction a move by the Suns to Las Vegas. If such a move was made, the team would be moving from the 12th biggest media market to what would be the 27th. A banker like Sarver would never want to do that.
Never make an empty threat! Once you do and can't fulfill it, whatever it was, you lose even more credibility.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never make an empty threat! Once you do and can't fulfill it, whatever it was, you lose even more credibility.

Do you just believe anything that allows you to blame Sarver?

From Gambo...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Article mentioned by Gambo going into more detail about the error made in reporting the initial claim that Sarver threatened to move the team...
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opi...leave-phoenix-we-want-stay-valley/2305904002/

Stop making things up! It's rich you try to mention someone's credibility when you are making claims based on fake news.

If someone says I'm backing up Sarver because I'm pointing out what actually happened so be it but I'm tired of seeing BC rail on about Sarver like he's some sort of criminal. He has an obsession with Sarver that is bordering on unhealthy considering he'll run with any negative he hears regardless of any truth behind it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BC. He never made that threat. The council member recanted what he said. This is old news. Do what I do, write it down, so you can remember. :)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC. He never made that threat. The council member recanted what he said. This is old news. Do what I do, write it down, so you can remember. :)
Yes, instant recall/short-term memory is becoming a problem. I'd have to do a lot of writing down. :mad: You might get a kick out of this.

A month ago, I changed paying my electric bill to online and discontinued written statements. Then, when I received the email notice, I totally forgot, having been accustomed to waiting for the bill in the mail.

A week late when I caught it and paid online, I then received their Shut Off notice in the mail that afternoon. First time ever! I sent a letter, suggesting they consider my 40 year history with them and suggested they should have made the first dunning notice a reminder, not a threat, and to remove it from my record. Someone beside the computer should screen it.

The nice lady who called apologized, removed it from my record and said she would pass my suggestion on to the proper people. My '822' remains intact.

I told her that I tried to save them money, but it didn't work, so I reactivated bills in the mail just to play it safe.

Is it a coincidence that I just celebrated my 78th birthday. I wonder if Jerry has the same problem 79? :rolleyes:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On the radio John Gambadoro today said his sources said someone with NBA experience will be hired for the front office. Gambo said he was not told what capicity or title, but the person would have legit NBA front office experience.

Billy King it is.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True but there is only one Billy King. (Isiah Thomas just called and told me to up that by one)
We should come up with our list of worst NBA general managers or front office people.

We can start with Ted Stepien and Billy King.

Oh. I've got another one. The Stepien Rule prevents teams from trading away draft picks in consecutive years. This is because, in an effort to "win now" Stepien destroyed the Cavaliers by trading away all their draft picks.

If the league were to establish The Sarver Rule, what would it be?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Billy King it is.

If that is so, why bother? Maybe like their trades, they meant Billie Jean King. :)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14545999/billy-king-era-comes-merciful-end-brooklyn-nets

And would it be as an Executive to run all basketball operations or just another pathetic General Manager?

What a conundrum! An incompetent management team making the decision to end their incompetence?

That is a physical and emotional impossibility. It is like choosing an ax murderer to name his own sentence.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should come up with our list of worst NBA general managers or front office people.

We can start with Ted Stepien and Billy King.

Stepien would be a step down even from Sarver - well, 2 steps down since he's been dead a decade or so.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that we are resorting to humor to tolerate the situation.

Stress reduction. :bang:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison