The Darius Garland Thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Put all the Garland content here

Ok after the disapointment of last night, watching a bunch of videos to get an impression of the kid as a person and sleeping a few hours I personally reached the conclusion that he is the only possible choice.

I think I was too focused on him chosing Rich Paul. I was actually excited about him earlier in the year so finding out about Rich Paul'S involvement was an extra bummer yesterday. But the reality is that Rich Paul is representing more and more NBA players. We can't afford to be on bad terms with him or shun players because he represents them.

So what I like about Garland:

Personality reminds me of De'Aaron Fox.
Seems to have very good ball handling skills.
Very good shooting touch.
Good quickness.
Decent size, he could be an ok defender.

Needs to put on strength but his slender frame does not look hopeless. Might be deceptively wiry strong.

Didn't show much as a passer in the 5 games but on the other hand he was on fire. Also I think our preference always was a PG that can play off of Booker also. Even if Garland doesn't have great passing skills kind of like Kyrie where he averages under 6 assists I think that would be fine.

Medical records have to check out.

Getting slightly worried about the Lakers or Cavs picking him or the Bulls moving up to pick him at 4 or 5. Moving up from 6 to 4 shouldn't be so costly though I would hope. Maybe all it takes would be the #32 pick.

Lakers might not pick him though specifically because he is Rich Paul's client and Rich Paul probably knows those young guys are going to end up as trade bait.
Cavs hopefully think Sexton is their future PG.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he's the best outcome possible at #6 pick...even if we had #4 pick it would be a good choice.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

We are the only team that can reasonably promise so early because our needs are so particular focused on PG/PF and Garland/White are the only options in the top 15.

Plus Rich Paul owes us one for moving Bledsoe to Milwaukee.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We are the only team that can reasonably promise so early because our needs are so particular focused on PG/PF and Garland/White are the only options in the top 15.

Plus Rich Paul owes us one for moving Bledsoe to Milwaukee.

I'm telling you, Garland is going to the Lakers at #4.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm telling you, Garland is going to the Lakers at #4.
I have my doubts. A couple reasons why are the Lakers have a shot at potentially getting one of the perceived top 3 of the draft if one were to slip (R.J. probably the most likely) and the Lakers are a “win now” team with LeBron there and the best way for them to do that with their pick is to trade it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems to me yes

His ceiling would be 4th but the Lakers have Ball and could trade him.

And why would he want to go 5th to Cleveland..

I think you are being optimistic - but I hope you are right.

I am thinking it is the Lakers too. The only thing that makes me slightly doubt that is Lebron and Lonzo seem to be boys.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Would he leave the combine if we gave him a promise to be picked at 6? Seems to me no.
Could be possible. Sees a chance to join a PG needy team with a young star and promising young core. Also may not see 1-4 as possible suitors and doesn’t want to go to Cleveland. Certainly possible at least.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Or, if you know he will do the combine things poorly, like jumping because of knee issues, maybe a strategical retreat?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lakers jump us and take the only guy we want. Perfect.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would he leave the combine if we gave him a promise to be picked at 6? Seems to me no.

I agree. We're too far down for a promise to a player like Garland to cause him to shut it down. He's a Rich Paul client though so who knows why he decided to shut it down. Where he works out will be interesting to see.

I have a hard time believing we made a promise to him for a few reasons.

#1 - I don't think we'll keep the #6 pick. If we do keep the pick it's because we couldn't trade up or trade out. There has been less than 24 hour to work the phones and see if a deal can be put together.

#2 - I can't see them giving up on finding a trade that quick.

#3 - On top of it being a really quick decision, we haven't been linked to Garland before and we don't have a good relationship with Rich Paul so making his client a promise so early doesn't make sense.

#4 - We don't have an athletic trainer to look over his medical history and sign off on his injury. That is big and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned that. I know his injury history has been mentioned but that isn't covering the Suns side of things.

I could probably come up with another reason or two but I think those are 4 good reasons we didn't make a promise to Garland.

If anyone did promise him it was the Lakers, they have Lebron already and Garland is a Klutch client. Lebron might prefer Garland to Ball and that allows the Lakers to trade Ball for immediate help. Garland is more like a Kyrie type of PG who calls his own number more than he sets up his teammates, the pairing of Lebron and Garland seems to be a better fit than Lebron and Lonzo because Lonzo is more of a playmaker and not a scorer. Lonzo is probably more valuable as a trade asset than Garland or the #4 pick also. Having Rich Paul bully the Lakers into a promise for Garland sounds like a Rich Paul/Lebron tactic. The more Klutch players on the roster gives Rich Paul and Lebron more power within the Lakers organization.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. We're too far down for a promise to a player like Garland to cause him to shut it down. He's a Rich Paul client though so who knows why he decided to shut it down. Where he works out will be interesting to see.

I have a hard time believing we made a promise to him for a few reasons.

#1 - I don't think we'll keep the #6 pick. If we do keep the pick it's because we couldn't trade up or trade out. There has been less than 24 hour to work the phones and see if a deal can be put together.

#2 - I can't see them giving up on finding a trade that quick.

#3 - On top of it being a really quick decision, we haven't been linked to Garland before and we don't have a good relationship with Rich Paul so making his client a promise so early doesn't make sense.

#4 - We don't have an athletic trainer to look over his medical history and sign off on his injury. That is big and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned that. I know his injury history has been mentioned but that isn't covering the Suns side of things.

I could probably come up with another reason or two but I think those are 4 good reasons we didn't make a promise to Garland.

If anyone did promise him it was the Lakers, they have Lebron already and Garland is a Klutch client. Lebron might prefer Garland to Ball and that allows the Lakers to trade Ball for immediate help. Garland is more like a Kyrie type of PG who calls his own number more than he sets up his teammates, the pairing of Lebron and Garland seems to be a better fit than Lebron and Lonzo because Lonzo is more of a playmaker and not a scorer. Lonzo is probably more valuable as a trade asset than Garland or the #4 pick also. Having Rich Paul bully the Lakers into a promise for Garland sounds like a Rich Paul/Lebron tactic. The more Klutch players on the roster gives Rich Paul and Lebron more power within the Lakers organization.
The trainer isn't the med staff. I am sure we have doctors still that can check med history. I argree with you about the Lakers making a promise more than us making sense. But the Lakers also might be trading that pick to try to get AD.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The trainer isn't the med staff. I am sure we have doctors still that can check med history. I argree with you about the Lakers making a promise more than us making sense. But the Lakers also might be trading that pick to try to get AD.
Who else needs a PG? Besides us obviously?

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Dude,an athletic trainer is an athletic trainer, not a doctor.

Lakers making a promise is unlikely. They are the most likely team to trade their pick away and the least likely to bank on a rookie contributing to one of Lebrons last seasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I agree. We're too far down for a promise to a player like Garland to cause him to shut it down.

Lol we are 2 spots from his absolute best case ceiling and the spot in between are the Cleveland
Cavaliers and I doubt any PG prospect looks at Colin Sexton thinking that would be a great backcourt duo.

So really we are just 1 spot down for him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo just said he heard from one NBA exec he thinks it is the Suns that promised Garland. Another contact told him he thinks its Chicago that gave him the offer.

He also said one of his sources said the suns may trade the 6th for lonzo.

Not sure whether that means anything at all.