The Darius Garland Thread

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo just said he heard from one NBA exec he thinks it is the Suns that promised Garland. Another contact told him he thinks its Chicago that gave him the offer.

He also said one of his sources said the suns may trade the 6th for lonzo.

Not sure whether that means anything at all.

I would rather have Garland or White over Lonzo Ball. If we trade for Lonzo, that might be the straw that broke the camel's back for me and end 44 years of fandom.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather have Garland or White over Lonzo Ball. If we trade for Lonzo, that might be the straw that broke the camel's back for me and end 44 years of fandom.

The Suns clearly want him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Gambo just said he heard from one NBA exec he thinks it is the Suns that promised Garland. Another contact told him he thinks its Chicago that gave him the offer.

He also said one of his sources said the suns may trade the 6th for lonzo.

Not sure whether that means anything at all.

Ball wouldn't be the worst fit, but just no....

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns clearly want him.

Why???

He can't shoot at all. His shot, especially from the free throw line, is so bad he has to be removed down the stretch of games to avoid opponents employing hack-a-Bell. Defenses can just sag off of him with no fear of his shot, which in turn clogs the paint for Ayton, Booker and the wings. On top of that, his defense has been sporadic at best, he has had a bad attitude, he brings baggage with him, and he wants to be in LA.

We are almost better off just sticking with Okobo and Melton, and for me that's saying a lot.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ball, playing Devil's advocate, plays D and distributes the ball. He is a tall PG. IF, big IF, we do make the playoffs, teams will back away and switch off him daring him to shoot the jumper. Teams may still double Booker, during the playoffs. Can he make teams pay for playing off him? That is his big question mark going forward.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol we are 2 spots from his absolute best case ceiling and the spot in between are the Cleveland
Cavaliers and I doubt any PG prospect looks at Colin Sexton thinking that would be a great backcourt duo.

So really we are just 1 spot down for him.

why not in Cleveland. It's the opportunity to try and put together a Lilliard/McCollough combo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ball, playing Devil's advocate, plays D and distributes the ball. He is a tall PG. IF, big IF, we do make the playoffs, teams will back away and switch off him daring him to shoot the jumper. Teams may still double Booker, during the playoffs. Can he make teams pay for playing off him? That is his big question mark going forward.

His D in the NBA has been missing in action way too often. And he can't distribute when teams are laying off of him to focus on passing lanes, since he has proved time and time again that he cannot make teams pay for leaving him wide open to shoot. It will be like having us play 4 on 5...just like it has been for the Lakers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Lonzo but honestly the big question is not even that the big question is can he stay healthy. He's played 99 of 164 games in 2 years. He could have likely come back late last year but it made sense to hold him out but still he's missed almost half the games in his first 2 years with injuries. He was better this past year than his rookie year, his stats dropped largely because LeBron always has the ball, and he's a much better defender than people give him credit for IMO, but you have to be able to stay healthy and he has not done so yet.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ball's shooting is awful but nothing about him has said bad attitude.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His D in the NBA has been missing in action way too often. And he can't distribute when teams are laying off of him to focus on passing lanes, since he has proved time and time again that he cannot make teams pay for leaving him wide open to shoot. It will be like having us play 4 on 5...just like it has been for the Lakers.

Just not supported by evidence. I don't have the final data but I'm looking at an article from late Feb that says in the 13 games Lonzo has missed with injury(the ankle) the Lakers are giving up over 121 PPG, most in the NBA, and they were giving up 10 points less with Lonzo in the lineup. He's a better defender than people realize because he can guard multiple spots, and he does things like deflections, steals and blocks that help a team, and he's a very good rebounder for a guard. Before you say that's because the guys who replaced him suck, that's Rondo and Lance Stephenson, 2 guys largely regarded as good and at times very good defenders.

They were a borderline playoff team when he got hurt and tanked after. The first 18 games he was out they were 5-13, they were 6-12 in the 18 games LeBron missed.

He has obvious holes he has to fix, FT shooting for example, but they were a much better team with him than without him both years. The problem is he can't stay healthy

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ball's shooting is awful but nothing about him has said bad attitude.

Inconsistent effort, especially on defense, plus grumbling throughout the year from Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and even at times Lebron.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I have cooled on Lonzo quite a bit because of his injury's and lack of progress. That said, I would still rather have him than White.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The story line here is that the Suns supposedly promised Garland.

The Lonzo stuff is just a derived side story in case the Lakers take Garland

No - maybe you misunderstood me. Gambo asked some contacts who they thought promised Garland - one said Phoenix, one said Chicago. It sounded like both were guessing - it could still easily be the Lakers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I doubt he could make them pay for leaving him open and worse than that, they could easily foul him the second he touches the ball so he gets put at the FT line where he shoots 40%.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude,an athletic trainer is an athletic trainer, not a doctor.

Lakers making a promise is unlikely. They are the most likely team to trade their pick away and the least likely to bank on a rookie contributing to one of Lebrons last seasons.

Do you know what an athletic trainer does? I don't think you do. They go to school for 6 years, generally, and then take an exam to get board certified because they are licensed healthcare professionals. They work hand in hand with team doctors and a lot of the responsibilities overlap.

Here are their primary responsibilities...
  • Apply protective or injury-preventive devices such as tape, bandages, and braces
  • Recognize and evaluate injuries
  • Provide first aid or emergency care
  • Develop and carry out rehabilitation programs for injured athletes
  • Plan and implement comprehensive programs to prevent injury and illness among athletes
  • Perform administrative tasks such as keeping records and writing reports on injuries and treatment programs

Source

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The trainer isn't the med staff. I am sure we have doctors still that can check med history. I argree with you about the Lakers making a promise more than us making sense. But the Lakers also might be trading that pick to try to get AD.

The trainer is part of the medical staff, a big part of the medical staff nowadays. That's part of why Aaron Nelson was so highly regarded. He is who Nash credited specifically for helping him stay healthy for so long. I know we may have a team doctor but not have an athletic trainer right now doesn't help us when potentially taking someone with a history of knee problems.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Garland is repped by Klutch which fuels the speculation that the Lakers may have made the promise. The only other possible team is Chicago, but why would he shut it down for an 8th pick promise when he could easily go higher?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
No - maybe you misunderstood me. Gambo asked some contacts who they thought promised Garland - one said Phoenix, one said Chicago. It sounded like both were guessing - it could still easily be the Lakers.
Gambo later heard back from his Phoenix source who said it wasn’t the Suns who made the promise.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have cooled on Lonzo quite a bit because of his injury's and lack of progress. That said, I would still rather have him than White.

I can understand you liking Garland but I can't understand why you are so down on White. Of course Garland has a history of injury as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can understand you liking Garland but I can't understand why you are so down on White. Of course Garland has a history of injury as well.

I want players that do something really well.

He is a subpar passer, a subpar shooter, he is athletically limited.

I see his ceiling as Elfid Payton. I want star potential out of a 6th overall pick. Not a pg I am looking to upgrade.

I see more upside in okobo and Melton than I do in White.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want players that do something really well.

He is a subpar passer, a subpar shooter, he is athletically limited.

I see his ceiling as Elfid Payton. I want star potential out of a 6th overall pick. Not a pg I am looking to upgrade.

I see more upside in okobo and Melton than I do in White.

I guess I see it differently.

Garland has some slick hesitation moves but I don't see a lot of difference between the two players. White even averaged more assists.

If White's ceiling is Elfrid Payton I will take it if he has his head on right.