Game of Thrones (HBO)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Also, on the crap writing front:

Where's the non-Stout, Jon Snow version of "Woman, how can you claim to love me but tell me I'll betray you if I don't effing ignore my heritage and BE CONTENT TO BE AN EFFING BASTARD THE REST OF MY EFFING LIFE?" That's a huge, ******* thing to ask of the person you love, no matter what it means to your own claims, and means you don't love that person. But, hey, let's ignore Jon's entire arc and, instead of having him stick up for himself, just stare gloomily at her all the time lol

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
was the horse of the golden army leader
same horse same bridles
I wondered about that too. Although when Drogon broke through the wall, there was a shot of that horse looking pretty mangled on the ground and not moving. Maybe it was just knocked out and miraculously survived like Arya?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Where's the non-Stout, Jon Snow version of "Woman, how can you claim to love me but tell me I'll betray you if I don't effing ignore my heritage and BE CONTENT TO BE AN EFFING BASTARD THE REST OF MY EFFING LIFE?" That's a huge, ******* thing to ask of the person you love, no matter what it means to your own claims, and means you don't love that person. But, hey, let's ignore Jon's entire arc and, instead of having him stick up for himself, just stare gloomily at her all the time lol

You woke up at 4:43 to post that???

Kidding.

I agree, but Jon Snow is one of those rare bastards that has made something for himself. Even if he never let his true heritage be known, he had options in the North, if he wanted them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s been awesome and everyone I know at work loves it.. About the only negatives I’ve seen is on this site
Huh, everywhere I’ve read has consistently torn it apart. And not just on this board.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

not to mention, isn’t dany’s Primary driver to retake Westeros that it was taken from her? Uh, with Jon shows superior claim that righteous high ground flies right out the window. She should have immediately acquiesced to Jon and acknowledged his superior claim considering this was all about her superior claim. Absent that recognition she’s now no different than Cersei usurping a thrown that’s not hers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, everywhere I’ve read has consistently torn it apart. And not just on this board.

Seems to be a mixed bag. I was talking with a bunch of engineers an developers on multiple conference calls this morning. Most seemed to love it but with a WTH type responses.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arya on the horse, multiple possibilities:

1) There were multiple gray horses - Dothraki had them
2) Since the Lord of Light favors Arya, could he have revived the horse? Or even her?
3) Bran warged into a horse

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I was curious about the rings too. They didn't focus on that by accident.

Yeah. I was thinking it might be the same poison used to kill Joffrey. He left it for someone to find. Maybe Tyrion?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think that he thought he was going to get killed so he left his valuables for whomever was his heir.
That was my thought.

My biggest question with Varys is about the little girl he spoke to. It seemed like such a throwaway scene that was never elaborated on. Didn't know what it meant. What kind of information was that little bird trying to get for him?

And again, why exactly did Dany execute him?

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I think that he thought he was going to get killed so he left his valuables for whomever was his heir.

Perhaps but I can’t recall Varys ever having a conversation about his heirs. They made a point to focus the camera in on him taking the ring off, so I’m wondering if there is more there.

Watching those scenes again and you definitely get the impression that he was using the little girl to try and poison her, at least I did.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps but I can’t recall Varys ever having a conversation about his heirs. They made a point to focus the camera in on him taking the ring off, so I’m wondering if there is more there.

Watching those scenes again and you definitely get the impression that he was using the little girl to try and poison her, at least I did.

I do recall Varys telling her to get back to the kitchen so that would be a good place to enact the plan. Then, Varys tells Jon that the Queen hasn't eaten yet, which is certainly another hint towards the poison angle.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You woke up at 4:43 to post that???

Kidding.

I agree, but Jon Snow is one of those rare bastards that has made something for himself. Even if he never let his true heritage be known, he had options in the North, if he wanted them.

Dear God, no. I'm thinking the time is off if that's when it said I posted it. Unless that's...yeah, I bet it's because you're 3 hours behind me.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Dear God, no. I'm thinking the time is off if that's when it said I posted it. Unless that's...yeah, I bet it's because you're 3 hours behind me.
Ha ha! Okay good. I thought this episode was really starting to get to you.

I had one more thought about the episode, with Dany's turn. I wish they had spent more time on Cercei plotting for battle. Instead of having Euron out with his fleet, have him leading a guerrilla effort within the city. Hide among the innocents. Use them as human shields. Slow down the advance of Grey Worm and Jon just enough for Dany to get frustrated and impatient, so she just decides to torch everything in her path to root out her hidden enemies. Similar to her other most frustrating life experience, when the Sons of the Harpy could not be corralled until she just started lighting things on fire.

It would have been justified in her mind, 100%. It would have been a callback to her lessons learned (the wrong ones) in Essos. But her new followers, or at least some of them, would see it as too extreme.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the mental snap was rushed. but it was clearly foreshadowed when she was speaking to Jon and said...."Nobody loves me here"
she had been raised up on being a hero, being loved by the masses....MISA and all that poo.
then she gets to westeros and nobody could give two ***** about any chain breaker...they just dont wanna get burned alive... but she had been told you need one of two things to rule...love, or fear...so it was logical since she didnt have the love of the people that she needed to have their fear

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just not that shocked at the turn for the character. I mean they have been foreshadowing this for sometime and being who she is I figured she would cross the line at some point. Having said that going all scorched earth was hard to watch. Even more so from the "people's" view.

One thing I just read is that those GREEN EXPLOSIONS that were present during the scorched earth scene when the dragon was lighting everything on fire were what was left of the substance skattered throughout the city used to destroy the Great Sept of Baelor.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Just not that shocked at the turn for the character. I mean they have been foreshadowing this for sometime and being who she is I figured she would cross the line at some point. Having said that going all scorched earth was hard to watch. Even more so from the "people's" view.

One thing I just read is that those GREEN EXPLOSIONS that were present during the scorched earth scene when the dragon was lighting everything on fire were what was left of the substance skattered throughout the city used to destroy the Great Sept of Baelor.
Yep. Wild Fire. Also the same stuff deployed at the Battle of the Blackwater. Stashed away by her father, of all people, decades earlier. When he wanted to ignite it to incinerate his subjects, that was when Jamie Lannister stepped in and became the Kingslayer. It kind of comes full circle.