Suns Get The 6th Pick

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Man that was deflating. I had been feeling a lot of good vibes recently. I do feel like the culture has started to change and I credit a lot of that to the acquisition of Oubre. I like the core of Ayton, Booker, Oubre (if resigned). I think we have some tradable assets at this point in TJ or JJ and also Tyler Johnson’s deal. Bridges was a good pick. I liked the front office hires and also the Monty hire. Then we got the news of the new practice facility plans while having the draft lottery in the back of our heads. Things seemed to be lining up for something really good. Obviously Zion would’ve been a bonus, but I would’ve been good with just a top 3 pick. Instead JJ gets arrested and then we get kicked in the nuts with the 6th pick (and the damn Lakers getting 4) and I’m right back to feeling the doom and gloom. Now I’ll hold out hope that they can have a successful summer and hopefully at least plug the PG hole. Randle would be a nice addition at PF and maybe the youngins develop more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones has his work cut out for him with this pick and very little cap room. He made a good hire with Williams... let's see if he can make chicken salad out of chicken-ish as far as the rest of the off-season is considered.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The player I see in Garland, right down to his frail body...Kevin Johnson.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
James Jones has his work cut out for him with this pick and very little cap room. He made a good hire with Williams... let's see if he can make chicken salad out of chicken-ish as far as the rest of the off-season is considered.
Yeah it’s gonna be tough. All I can do is hope he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and do something to get the train going on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Thad young is the other power forward Gambo said we had interest in today.

I don’t know what to think about reddish. He was trash at duke, but he was really highly regarded coming out of high school.

I think I would stay away. If he can’t play well when he is not the man, it doesn’t bode well for him in the nba.
Thad Young makes no sense

James Jones repeatedly said adding players in their prime.
Young is past his.

I think Gambo has no sources right now and just speculates

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
The Lakers tanked after the All-Star break and jumped up 7 spots to 4th.

The Knicks tanked the whole season and got 3rd, best of all tanking teams.

The Lakers got the 4th pick with 2.8% chance.

Memphis and New Orleans are the NBA’s least valuable franchises.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

New Orleans tanked too after the AD fiasco.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. “Projected 3pt%” . . . ignoring what he ACTUALLY shot in a less competitive league with a shorter 3 point line. Oooookay.
It’s an advanced stat. Talkathon uses it along with some other sites. Not sure the algorithm, but it’s not something Slin is making up.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't see how you tank and still get 33 wins.

they sat Anthony Davis

Tanking is not dead. Tanking just got more viable for teams that are not in the bottom 5 since you get realistic odds to move up everywhere now.

Previously it was not worth to tank games late in the season to drop from 12th to 10th because the difference was minimal.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It’s an advanced stat. Talkathon uses it along with some other sites. Not sure the algorithm, but it’s not something Slin is making up.

the algorithm is based on empirical data analysis.

They are looking at past prospects and how their 3pt% translated from college to nba. One of the things that they found out is that free throw percentage is a better indicator than 3pt%.
The algorithm is derived from that anylsis and weighs all those factors.

I am not sure how in detail it is now but at least it includes FT%, Attempts, 3pt% and possibly the detailed distance shooting breakdowns.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

The Lakers and Knicks didn't tank. One was dysfunctional and the other was simply awful. Just like we didn't tank either.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is why I had started another thread assuming we got the sixth pick. It's not that easy retooling the squad with the sixth pick and what we have to trade. Look at our roster. Assuming only Booker and Ayton are untouchable, who do we really have to trade that moves the meter? Do we blow the whole thing up, or just try to resign Oubre, add a PG and PF and be done with it? With the limited ammo we have, I was assuming we fill PG or PF with our pick, and the remaining slot with a free agent/trade. Plus we still have to sign Oubre. All with limited cap space. That was kind of what I was getting at earlier. This would have been a piece of cake if we got Zion. Easier with a top three pick. Four and below it gets tricky. We are not going to get all of what we want, unless our GM is a wizard! We almost have to go PG with the six pick just for cap space savings since a veteran might blow it up, and trade/sign a PF, or keep TJ and make him play PF like we were doing. Not a lot of options.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Looking at potential free agent power forwards, the salaries from this last year range from 5+ million to 15+ million per year. Looks like we would be better to get a PG from the draft or trade, and go free agency at PF. I am thinking we need two PF and one PG, plus Oubre and resign Holmes. Looking at Booker, Ayton, draft PG, Free agent PF, Oubre/Bridges for our lineup.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually feel bad for you Suns fans...as the odds were in your favor....
That and to have the 2nd worst record and end up 6th....insult to injury.
Robert Saver just pooped his pants

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The player I see in Garland, right down to his frail body...Kevin Johnson.

I see that a little bit.

I think he is a better shooter, and a worse penetrator.

I don't know what you mean by frail body though. It's not like you need to be a physical specimen as a point guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Looking at potential free agent power forwards, the salaries from this last year range from 5+ million to 15+ million per year. Looks like we would be better to get a PG from the draft or trade, and go free agency at PF. I am thinking we need two PF and one PG, plus Oubre and resign Holmes. Looking at Booker, Ayton, draft PG, Free agent PF, Oubre/Bridges for our lineup.

I've been saying all along we need to trade for a veteran PG.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I can't believe we are not at least getting Morant. Garland and White are 2A and 2B and this simply sucks. I would be perfectly OK with us putting together a package to get a veteran PG.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
#4 to the Lakers. Bank on it.

I see the connection with Klutch and Rich Paul but I don't think the Lakers would promise him anything this early, not with them eyeing a possible AD trade with NO. If anything, it could be the Suns or the Bulls that promised him they would pick him if he was available at their pick IMO.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Also, it's not like Garland is in danger of not being available at No.4 if the Lakers truly wanted him. NO, Memphis and New York certainly won't take him or trade down with another team either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Has it been tested? I mean, they’ve had the projection for some time. Do they actually accurate project to players actual shooting percentages in the nba? If not, it’s just made up silliness. I can create an algorithm. Doesn’t mean it carries any validity.