2019 2nd round pick is Byron Murphy CB

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Seems like one of those good, prototypical top-of-the-2nd-round picks. Check out who's left and who shouldn't be, and take the best one. I like it.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Rather have a solid technician with high football instincts, fluid movement skills but average height and long speed, than a stiff 6'2 brick who runs 4.3 but gets torched by good route runners and commits too many PIs. Byron Murphy is a legit 1st round talent. When you scout CBs, tape is your best friend, more so than at any other position.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Seems like one of those good, prototypical top-of-the-2nd-round picks. Check out who's left and who shouldn't be, and take the best one. I like it.

yes

i think top of 2nd round is an awesome spot --

the bottom 1/3 of round 1 is playoff teams who are all thinking "i need to shore up this one position, then its SB" and really good players fall into Rd 2

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Needed depth there... Don't want to see Brandon Williams have to fill that role again.

Would be nice again to have someone that doesn't need as much safety help and can allow us more flexibility in coverages without our CB getting picked apart.

Throw in the speculation about what is going on with Pat P and it's hard to resist taking a CB here in the draft if you think they are going to be quality right away. If we lost Pat we would need someone to stop the bleeding.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Needed depth there... Don't want to see Brandon Williams have to fill that role again.

Would be nice again to have someone that doesn't need as much safety help and can allow us more flexibility in coverages without our CB getting picked apart.

Throw in the speculation about what is going on with Pat P and it's hard to resist taking a CB here in the draft if you think they are going to be quality right away. If we lost Pat we would need someone to stop the bleeding.

P21 didn't give any welcome to our new picks, he did just for devin white, the Bucs pick
What a leader

Last edited:

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

My favorite part about his evaluations and highlights I saw - excellent ball skills and locates the ball early. Polar opposite of what Brandon Williams brings.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's legit. Don't worry about his 40 time. He's much faster than that. He was trained wrong and lost a tenth or so from rising up too fast.

You don't run a 40 when playing football. Some guys get trained better and some don't. But on the field, the slower guy in the 40 can be faster.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've asked this question in a ROTB story. It seems that part of the reasons why so many Cardinals' fans like Murphy is because he's from Arizona and plays a position of need. But what would have happened if NE had not drafted Harry with the last pick of the first round?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I've asked this question in a ROTB story. It seems that part of the reasons why so many Cardinals' fans like Murphy is because he's from Arizona and plays a position of need. But what would have happened if NE had not drafted Harry with the last pick of the first round?

Cards would probably have picked Harry at 33 and then a CB/DB or another defender with Rosen trade pick.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I could be wrong Garthshort, but it sounds like to me that the Cardinal's sprinted up to the podium to turn in the Murphy pick, and I don't think they would have played it any differently.

Again, just my gut feeling.