We got a problem folks

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love the Kyler Murray pick. I think he will be electric and will be an amazing player. However, we got major problems.

We already know the history of Steve Keim and the draft. To be fair, every team swings and misses to an extent. First round busts are pretty common league-wide, and what makes ours worse are the fact that we focus on ours because they are our team. The swings and misses have hurt us though. No one can deny that.

The pick of Kyler on its own, does not concern me. What is alarming is the process and how they allegedly didn't start fielding offers for Rosen until right before the pick was made. They played chicken with the Rosen asset and whiffed badly. It really makes no sense. If Murray was the guy they could have announced it weeks ago and let it be known Rosen was on the block. It would have given everyone involved the time to make a good deal. Now they are screwed.

Teams panic every year and reach for QBs in the draft. There are far more Paxton Lynch picks than Peyton Mannings. It also now appears the Rosen pick was a typical panic move.

The last bit of concern goes back to the way Arians left. Who is calling the shots? In order to diagnose a problem you have to know the root cause. Is it the GM? My biggest fear is that it is higher up the flag pole. I really hope that is not the case.

Yesterday should have been a celebration yet it kind of feels like a loss.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only if you let it feel that way.

GO CARDS.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Kyler Murray pick. I think he will be electric and will be an amazing player. However, we got major problems.

We already know the history of Steve Keim and the draft. To be fair, every team swings and misses to an extent. First round busts are pretty common league-wide, and what makes ours worse are the fact that we focus on ours because they are our team. The swings and misses have hurt us though. No one can deny that.

The pick of Kyler on its own, does not concern me. What is alarming is the process and how they allegedly didn't start fielding offers for Rosen until right before the pick was made. They played chicken with the Rosen asset and whiffed badly. It really makes no sense. If Murray was the guy they could have announced it weeks ago and let it be known Rosen was on the block. It would have given everyone involved the time to make a good deal. Now they are screwed.

Teams panic every year and reach for QBs in the draft. There are far more Paxton Lynch picks than Peyton Mannings. It also now appears the Rosen pick was a typical panic move.

The last bit of concern goes back to the way Arians left. Who is calling the shots? In order to diagnose a problem you have to know the root cause. Is it the GM? My biggest fear is that it is higher up the flag pole. I really hope that is not the case.

Well put. I feel the exact same way. If the 2nd from the Patriots rumor was true, I'm sure they are laughing at us right now because I'm sure their offer is now a 3rd.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Add in the fact they really coveted Harry and couldn't manage a trade up to get a guy they really wanted. I feel like Keim was simply not prepared for this draft.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Belichick wanted Harry too. Why would he give up on the pick? Brady finally has his first big wideout since Moss.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Add in the fact they really coveted Harry and couldn't manage a trade up to get a guy they really wanted. I feel like Keim was simply not prepared for this draft.
The Pats picked Harry one spot ahead of us. I dont think anybody saw that coming? Harry wasnt even in the top list of 1st rd players remaining. Hardly kiems fault.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pats picked Harry one spot ahead of us. I dont think anybody saw that coming? Harry wasnt even in the top list of 1st rd players remaining. Hardly kiems fault.

The point being if you really want a guy you don't rely on other teams doing what you expect them to do. You go get the guy you desire. Then it makes what NE is doing irrelevant. NE always needs WRs...like every year.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure didn't help bringing him in to the facility just before the draft (for yet another look) and then having Fitz publicly gushing about him and quoting another Cardinals staffer who was comparing N'Keal Harry to Anquan Boldin. The team basically told everyone who would listen that they were taking him with their second draft pick. We pretty much suck at subterfuge. SMH.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Sure didn't help bringing him in to the facility just before the draft (for yet another look) and then having Fitz publicly gushing about him and quoting another Cardinals staffer who was comparing N'Keal Harry to Anquan Boldin. The team basically told everyone who would listen that they were taking him with their second draft pick. We pretty much suck at subterfuge. SMH.
I suppose. Ha. It always seems to bite them in the ass every year missing their guy by one pick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point being if you really want a guy you don't rely on other teams doing what you expect them to do. You go get the guy you desire. Then it makes what NE is doing irrelevant. NE always needs WRs...like every year.

That's not as easy as it sounds. Part of why you like a player is value related. And it's a thin line between reaching for a player and grabbing the guy you want.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The sports media is every bit as moronic as the mainstream media. Stop listening to their nonsense & wait until this all pans out.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

Heavens guy this goes all the back to when Coryell left in the 70s that was he had absolutely No say in the drafting of players seems like he did pretty damn good when he moved in to San Diego I actually Think Rosen Does the same while the Midget is gone after Next year in yet another front office and coach cleansing Process

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. According to some draft experts, Drew Lock was essentially a, well, lock at 32 to NE. Something tells me that NE will still end up with Lock and we just might be the pigeons to deal with to get him.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heavens guy this goes all the back to when Coryell left in the 70s that was he had absolutely No say in the drafting of players seems like he did pretty damn good when he moved in to San Diego I actually Think Rosen Does the same while the Midget is gone after Next year in yet another front office and coach cleansing Process
Are you sure about Coryell? What did he win there? He won nothing and aside from Kellen Winslow, his drafts were suspect. Any good players he drafted had better careers elsewhere. There's a reason why he isn't in the hall of fame because his record doesn't speak of a hall of fame career.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Belichick wanted Harry too. Why would he give up on the pick? Brady finally has his first big wideout since Moss.

Wouldn’t shock me to find the had a handful of WRs to choose from and took him to screw the Cards for not giving them Rosen at the Pats’ price.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's not as easy as it sounds. Part of why you like a player is value related. And it's a thin line between reaching for a player and grabbing the guy you want.

I agree it is not simple but Harry essentially admitted the cards told him they would take him at 33 and their reaction last night was they felt like they seriously missed out. Given all that, trying to move up a few spots to remove all doubt should have been on their list. Terms like "reach" and "value" are terms for the critics (like me or guys like McShay). Each draft board is different and I could care less what people expected NE to do. You force NE to make another decision but being aggressive for a guy they thought very highly of.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Are you sure about Coryell? What did he win there? He won nothing and aside from Kellen Winslow, his drafts were suspect. Any good players he drafted had better careers elsewhere. There's a reason why he isn't in the hall of fame because his record doesn't speak of a hall of fame career.
True but he inherited some really good players and made it to the playoffs many times with very memorable game in Miami

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True but he inherited some really good players and made it to the playoffs many times with very memorable game in Miami
He only made the playoffs 4 times with the Chargers and only had 4 winning seasons as well, one being the strike shortened 1982 season. In 1983 we stomped the Chargers 44-14.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm still waxed over Arians. Strong personalities aside - We finally got to a point where we seemed to have gotten our bleep together as a franchise - drafting good, scheming pretty good, pretty good roster, liked by the players etc. - and all we had to do was stay on course, not shake things up, not do anything dumb and keep the winning culture intact. So what do MB and SK do? They blow up the roster, get rid of ballers like the Badger and dump BA and his staff. We went from Contender to Clownfest in little under a year. Some folks simply can't deal with success.

I hope Michael and Steve have learned from that experience and aren't doomed to repeat it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave