What Have I Got Against Murray?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I got asked this in a chat room this morning. The answer is nothing. I just don’t think he’s the best pick. There’s a good chance he can play in this league but he’s not as certain to be an impact player as others. In that respect most scouts with whom I’ve talked, have him 7th. I guess I’m thinking BPA. What concerns us?
1. Only 1 year as a college starter
2. Played in a weak league defensively
3. Seemed to prefer baseball but was lured by signing figure. He could go back at any point.
4. He looked okay against Bama but not unstoppable.
5. Height is a realistic concern.
6. Overall size is a durability concern. He’ll be hit more often and harder in the NFL than in college.
7. Limited in scheme to a run/pass offense which increases the chance of injury.
8. Not clear he possesses the advanced skills, like reading defenses, that indicate film study ethic.
There were other minor concerns and issues that applied only to the Cards like cap impact. These, however, were enough to make me stick with Rosen.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got asked this in a chat room this morning. The answer is nothing. I just don’t think he’s the best pick. There’s a good chance he can play in this league but he’s not as certain to be an impact player as others. In that respect most scouts with whom I’ve talked, have him 7th. I guess I’m thinking BPA. What concerns us?
3. Seemed to prefer baseball but was lured by signing figure. He could go back at any point.
6. Overall size is a durability concern. He’ll be hit more often and harder in the NFL than in college.
7. Limited in scheme to a run/pass offense which increases the chance of injury.
8. Not clear he possesses the advanced skills, like reading defenses, that indicate film study ethic.
There were other minor concerns and issues that applied only to the Cards like cap impact. These, however, were enough to make me stick with Rosen.
You know, maybe you've posted it, I try to make sure I read your posts but if you haven't.. maybe it would have it's own thread but I'm curious:

What are your thoughts on Rosen now vs last year?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

#2, #4 and #8 are what scare me the most with Murray.

It's hard not to look good against the sub par defensive talent of the Big 12.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#2 Didn't Mahones play in the week Big 12.
#4 Didn't play against Bama.
#8 Don't remember what was said about Mahones on this.

Below are their numbers for their JR years.

2016 Texas Tech Big 12 JR QB 12 388 591 65.7 5052 8.5 9.2 41 10 157. (Mahones)
2018 Oklahoma Big 12 JR QB 14 260 377 69.0 4361 11.6 13.0 42 7 199.2 (Murray)

Just saying.

Comparing Murray to Mahomes is just laughable at best

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just saying.
Good comps. They are what they are.. college comps. But next time.. you are expected to have the ability to predict what he will do in his upcoming season to be able to compare him to Mahomes. Get with the program man!
:sarcasm:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally fair criticism. I believe #7 is the median I have seen across multiple rankings.

This is really going to be about how the organization really feels about Rosen going forward.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just saying.
It’s MahoMes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because physically they aren't the same player. Mahomes is an NFL superstar TODAY. He sees the entire field so well he can make no look passes look routine. He can throw from every position imaginable. He has prototypical NFL height. He is committed to football 100% etc....

Murray is no Mahomes and I'll bet ya regardless of where he goes he will never have one single season that comes even close to what Mahomes did in the NFL last year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again, this is stating that Rosen + anyone else at #1 is better than Murray + a negative cap hit and the normal lost year that comes with having a rookie QB.

If they are both equally risky prospects this is a very valid take.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Because physically they aren't the same player. Mahomes is an NFL superstar TODAY. He sees the entire field so well he can make no look passes look routine. He can throw from every position imaginable. He has prototypical NFL height. He is committed to football 100% etc....

Murray is no Mahomes and I'll bet ya regardless of where he goes he will never have one single season that comes even close to what Mahomes did in the NFL last year.
Of course there is no guarantee that Mahomes will have that kind of year ever again either although I absolutely hate the Redskins Theisman had vaguely something like Mahomes did one year and Lawrence Taylor basically ended his career the very next Year

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m not certain Rosen is a winner, but I like his potential. He should do fine running this offense. I throw out last year except giving Rosen props for refusing to quit. I just think Murray is no lock. I do think this could be an awesome defense with one more impact player. I’ll take that every time.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I’m not certain Rosen is a winner, but I like his potential. He should do fine running this offense. I throw out last year except giving Rosen props for refusing to quit. I just think Murray is no lock. I do think this could be an awesome defense with one more impact player. I’ll take that every time.
Would Dockett II work as I call Q Williams?Harry

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course there is no guarantee that Mahomes will have that kind of year ever again either although I absolutely hate the Redskins Theisman had vaguely something like Mahomes did one year and Lawrence Taylor basically ended his career the very next Year

Fair enough... I’ll rephrase to an even close to comparable career when all said and done.

But the way most of the people wanting him talk he is going to be most unstoppable game changing phenomenon to ever hit the league. So he should come close one would think right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn