a couple of exit interviews. 4/10/19

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather keep Warren unless he's a negative influence and I've not heard anything like that. I just can't believe with his injuries and our record that he's going to be worth anywhere near as much in trade as he is in the boxscore. But I won't be devastated if we just decide to move on from him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'd rather keep Warren unless he's a negative influence and I've not heard anything like that. I just can't believe with his injuries and our record that he's going to be worth anywhere near as much in trade as he is in the boxscore. But I won't be devastated if we just decide to move on from him.
With his weak defense and rebounding, among other things, I think the Suns would be better without him.

So I agree with your third sentence but not your first. Move him, not keep him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked what Booker said. Almost made a new thread for it to try and head off any talk of him demanding a trade this summer.

Booker wouldn’t speak on the yet-to-be-official hiring of Bower, but he did say that he trusts the decision-makers who are already part of the organization.

“I have full support in our front office and the guys making that decision,” he said.

While Booker said veteran addition would help, he also said he would be “cool with the roster as is.

“We’re going to be in good shape next year,” he added. “I’m very happy. I think the true fans know that and know how much I care about this city and how bad we want to win here.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1907713/igor-kokoskov-only-hope-suns-record-determine-fate/

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He isn't worth anything sitting on the bench in a suit. He might have serious mental issues aka Markelle Fultz type issues.

Every injury he's had since coming to the NBA, he's taken much longer time to recover from than the estimated recovery time for those type of injuries. Not sure if he's milking it or if he simply lacks passion for basketball.

The Suns already have a $155M investment which is extremely injury prone, they can't imo have another player making the salary that Warren does being so fragile too.

They should be able to get at least a late 1st rd pick and some expiring/non-guaranteed contract for him at the minimum.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Igor quotes from that article illustrate just how poor of a command of the English language Igor has, in my opinion. I can see players zoning him out almost immediately if that's how he communicates to them as a head coach...

Here is the perfect example of why we can't, as you said, stay zoned in to Igor. Scroll down in the attachment to his final Press conference.

It will put you to sleep. The words that can absolutely NOT be attributed to his presentation are" inspirational", "motivational", "positive", "encouraging", "exciting".

It sounds almost like he has marbles in his mouth. A Head Coach who needs a course in Public Speaking is not the man to lead an NBA team, especially a young team.

I don't blame Igor. I blame the people who made such a bad choice in hiring him to lead the team.

So, grab a cup of coffee and try to stay with his mumbling and rambling from beginning to end.

It almost sounds like he wants to be put out of his misery.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...l-phoenix-suns-fire-igor-kokoskov/3429265002/

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He isn't worth anything sitting on the bench in a suit. He might have serious mental issues aka Markelle Fultz type issues.

Every injury he's had since coming to the NBA, he's taken much longer time to recover from than the estimated recovery time for those type of injuries. Not sure if he's milking it or if he simply lacks passion for basketball.

The Suns already have a $155M investment which is extremely injury prone, they can't imo have another player making the salary that Warren does being so fragile too.

They should be able to get at least a late 1st rd pick and some expiring/non-guaranteed contract for him at the minimum.

How so? I heard that it takes 2 to 3 months for that kind of injury to heal. And another time when he was out for quite awhile we never even learned why unless you accept the "infection from pierced ear" rumors. But regardless, if we don't even know what the injury is we can't possibly know the recovery time.

Look, we all sit around and guess, so I have no problem if you or anyone want to guess what his issues are. But when it comes down to it, the people that are in the know have a lot more information available to them. If you're right and he's a malcontent or a malingerer, they'll know and we'll all be glad he's gone. But speaking just from what we really know, his performance on the court has been more valuable than what we seem to think he'll bring back in return.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How so? I heard that it takes 2 to 3 months for that kind of injury to heal. And another time when he was out for quite awhile we never even learned why unless you accept the "infection from pierced ear" rumors. But regardless, if we don't even know what the injury is we can't possibly know the recovery time.

Look, we all sit around and guess, so I have no problem if you or anyone want to guess what his issues are. But when it comes down to it, the people that are in the know have a lot more information available to them. If you're right and he's a malcontent or a malingerer, they'll know and we'll all be glad he's gone. But speaking just from what we really know, his performance on the court has been more valuable than what we seem to think he'll bring back in return.
Has it actually been all that valuable? The team seems to play much better with Oubre Jr as the SF than Warren (even if this didn't translate directly to wins).

Can't start them both together as we would get killed in the paint much like this season. Could bring him off the bench but we can probably find cheaper options for bench players especially more reliable/healthy ones.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Has it actually been all that valuable? The team seems to play much better with Oubre Jr as the SF than Warren (even if this didn't translate directly to wins).

Can't start them both together as we would get killed in the paint much like this season. Could bring him off the bench but we can probably find cheaper options for bench players especially more reliable/healthy ones.
And again, we know that Warren does not want to come off the bench.

He has one skill. Being a steady #2 scorer who offers nothing else of significance to either Forward position. Not rebounding. Not defense. Not passing.

He just doesn't fit on this team. Especially with Oubre, Bridges and Jackson on the roster. Even if we had only one of them.

It would be in everyone's best interest to move Warren. The Suns, Warren himself and the team that needs a scorer.

A win-win-win situation. As well as addition by subtraction.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well listening to all these, I get the feeling the team feels lukewarm towards Igor.

Ayton is just a weird dude. He really says some off the wall stuff sometimes. Like I don't what he is talking about when he says people never leave him open for the 3. He was left open constantly when setting a pick for Devin.

I really liked what I heard from Tyler Johnson. He really does seem like a good influence on the team, and I can see why they started to play better once he got here.

The other thing that is pretty clear is the guys want Jamal Crawford back. Which I guess is ok, but i don't want him playing to many minutes next year.

Glad to hear that Dragan sounds open to coming back, and Rashan wants to come back.
You are reading way too much into that comment. He clearly seemed to be joking to me as we all know that Igor didn't want him shooting threes this year. He also at one point alluded to playing more like Giannis next year and "no more jump hooks". You just aren't catching on to his sense of humor.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know, so many variables it's hard to tell what caused what. We definitely did not play as well without him except for that short period with Oubre starting and Tyler in the backcourt with a fairly healthy Booker. Warren didn't get that same opportunity. I'd rather have Oubre long term but I don't want to just give TJ away. If he can accept a role off the bench we might find a place for him here and if not, it should help build/rebuild his trade value. He's better than a late first pick IMO but I doubt there's anyone out there that would go that high.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oubre Jr needs to be resigned and Warren is under a good contract. The Suns gave Jackson all the opportunity to excel and he is just not a Super star. Time to move ON

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre Jr needs to be resigned and Warren is under a good contract. The Suns gave Jackson all the opportunity to excel and he is just not a Super star. Time to move ON
Jackson does not need to be a superstar to be worth keeping. Warren is the guy to trade.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Jackson is worth keeping over Warren. He had a pretty good second half of the season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Igor quotes from that article illustrate just how poor of a command of the English language Igor has, in my opinion. I can see players zoning him out almost immediately if that's how he communicates to them as a head coach...

You are never going to give this up are you. The suns could win 3 titles in a row with Igor, and you would still be talking about how he doesn't speak perfect English.

If this was really a problem he would not still have a job in the NBA after 17 years.

Please shut up about it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Jackson is worth keeping over Warren. He had a pretty good second half of the season.

Yes, but I wouldn't be real upset if he got moved too. If Jackson can shoot 40% as a spot up 3 pt shooter, his defense and passing make him the superior player if he could just not play stupid.

I guess Booker is pretty good friends with Jackson, but it sounds like Warren is not close with anyone on the team. I heard yesterday how Jamal Crawford made it a project to connect with TJ, which he eventually did through conversation about music.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You are never going to give this up are you. The suns could win 3 titles in a row with Igor, and you would still be talking about how he doesn't speak perfect English.

If this was really a problem he would not still have a job in the NBA after 17 years.

Please shut up about it.
To be fair Oubre said in his interview that he had issues with understanding Igor when he first got to the team. Though it does seem that he was able to adjust and it is no longer an issue.

His English isn't so broken that it can't be understood, but it could take a little bit of time for guys to adjust.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Warrens contract is not good for being as one dimensional as he is.

He will get no playing time next year if we resign Oubre and get a power forward, because he is a liability as a power forward, and he is inferior to Kelly, and Bridges in most lineups.

I share your frustration with Jackson - but he still has potential and did shoot near 40% from 3 in the last 2 months. Warren on the other hand is what he is at this point, a scoring guy off the bench who does not want to come off the bench.

He needs to go.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair Oubre said in his interview that he had issues with understanding Igor when he first got to the team. Though it does seem that he was able to adjust and it is no longer an issue.

His English isn't so broken that it can't be understood, but it could take a little bit of time for guys to adjust.

I know I heard that.

I am just beyond sick of 1sun bringing it up in every other post. He acts like nobody else notices he has an accent and it is tiring.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For the last time, the issue is NOT Igor's accent. It is his lack of command of the language, his inability to communicate effectively and persuasively in the language of his players.

To put it in perspective, Earl Watson had the same issue. He couldn't put a coherent sentence together, either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warrens contract is not good for being as one dimensional as he is.

He will get no playing time next year if we resign Oubre and get a power forward, because he is a liability as a power forward, and he is inferior to Kelly, and Bridges in most lineups.

I share your frustration with Jackson - but he still has potential and did shoot near 40% from 3 in the last 2 months. Warren on the other hand is what he is at this point, a scoring guy off the bench who does not want to come off the bench.

He needs to go.

I take issue with the one dimensional label. First off, besides getting us buckets, he gets us extra possessions which is incredibly valuable because most of them lead to scores and they are from rebounds that likely would not have gone our way without him. Secondly, I just can't call a very good scorer one dimensional given that it's what the game is about. If all he did was rebound or defend or pass or block, that's the kind of thing I think of when I hear someone called one-dimensional. But if your only real asset is scoring well, that's basketball.

There are a lot of things about Warren that concern me, much of it has to do with the mystery surrounding TJ and his injuries. And maybe we already have the info we need to realize it's time to move on from him but I just hate the idea of selling when the player is likely at his low point. It's the same reason I wouldn't be interested in trading Josh Jackson at this time.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m glad Booker didn’t make any foolish proclaims like “I’m done with not making the playoffs. I’m serious” this time around.

Many interpreted that as him basically asking for a trade as it was obvious to anyone and everyone that the Suns are least 3-5 years away from being a playoff team in the West.