The Latest on Rosen

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The Patriots want him. I'll trust their talent evaluators over guys on the internet or frankly our own front office.

The Patriots are extremely smart...they are buying and selling stocks.

Who wouldn't want Rosen for a 2nd or 3rd round pick? He could easily slide into the Patriot machine on offense for a few games and end up getting traded for a #1 pick.

He could also stick around and get the first shot at replacing Brady.

Much smarter that swinging and missing on QB's in the first round.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QBASE sounds like a Baseball stat. Which is probably where it belongs.

It's done by Football Outsiders.

I just haven't found a single analytical model that has Rosen as anything special.

I wish I had. It was what I was looking for originally.

Vanilla can be great though. You just need some good toppings :)

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like Alex Smith.
Smith needed an elite d, tight end, and running back in order to start winning. It only took him 8 years to turn around his career. I don’t think I have the patience to go through that experiment again.

So using your Alex Smith example: the winning is directly related to the front office's ability to acquire other needed pieces. So that could be a season or two away, not eight.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Benjamin Allbright (decent NFL insider has some good sourcing) just said on local radio (Kenny and Crash) that Cardinals have notified Murray he is their first pick. Oooo Boy

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far.

The Cardinals haven't even started putting together their draft board yet.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far.

The Cardinals haven't even started putting together their draft board yet.
Who knows. Passing the message I heard live on radio

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When people say "Guys like Murray" they are only seeing two aspects of his game. Size and Mobility.

What makes Murray potentially elite for me is his deep ball accuracy, his third and 7 or longer conversion rate, and his passer rating against nickel defense

Being elite in those stats has absolutely won in the NFL and are the most repeatable indicators for future success from the college level

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Benjamin Allbright (decent NFL insider has some good sourcing) just said on local radio (Kenny and Crash) that Cardinals have notified Murray he is their first pick. Oooo Boy

Albright was more couched on his Twitter feed .He didn't say that KM had been notified.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Why would the Cards come out and tell him that nearly a month away from the draft? makes no sense.Why would the team tell any potential pick that that said player is firmly the pick? too many variables could happen in the next 28 days.I bet the guy was telling the people what he thinks they wanted to hear.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Upset at the messenger? Please listen to radio show podcast and he said Murray has been notified by Cardinals

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would the Cards come out and tell him that nearly a month away from the draft? makes no sense.Why would the team tell any potential pick that that said player is firmly the pick? too many variables could happen in the next 28 days.I bet the guy was telling the people what he thinks they wanted to hear.

What Wolf was talking about yesterday is that this all has to be decided before OTAs so I think that is in two weeks.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Agreed. Especially if you are trying to trade down at all and/or trade Rosen.

The only way this makes sense is if they have already made a deal for Rosen and don't want to trade down at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So using your Alex Smith example: the winning is directly related to the front office's ability to acquire other needed pieces. So that could be a season or two away, not eight.

Right but as someone else said with the cap it becomes a diminishing returns situation. If you win big with a "pretty good" QB, he winds up getting a huge contract which makes it harder to keep the other pieces around him. Maybe Josh is the next Brady not just on the field but willing to take less money to get other good players. In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all that he was willing to do that, I just don't think he's the next Brady. And I love Josh, it's just I think Brady is pretty unique.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Patriots are extremely smart...they are buying and selling stocks.

Who wouldn't want Rosen for a 2nd or 3rd round pick? He could easily slide into the Patriot machine on offense for a few games and end up getting traded for a #1 pick.

He could also stick around and get the first shot at replacing Brady.

Much smarter that swinging and missing on QB's in the first round.

Sure. But what if Rosen, through his agent, tells the Cards and NE that's he's not interested in holding a clipboard and possibly getting flipped in a few years?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right but as someone else said with the cap it becomes a diminishing returns situation. If you win big with a "pretty good" QB, he winds up getting a huge contract which makes it harder to keep the other pieces around him. Maybe Josh is the next Brady not just on the field but willing to take less money to get other good players. In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all that he was willing to do that, I just don't think he's the next Brady. And I love Josh, it's just I think Brady is pretty unique.

Well, his contract for next 3 years sure helps a team stock up.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because people are going to lose their minds if Murray is the pick. Like it's going to be a meltdown here.

No most of us have come to expect it. The melt down will be with most who want but by some chance we don’t like Crimson, Chargers fan and Devon etc.. lol

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score

All Josh needs to do is marry someone that makes $40 million a year

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Upset at the messenger? Please listen to radio show podcast and he said Murray has been notified by Cardinals

If true, than where's the second, third, fifth, tenth national reporter confirming the story ?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Josh needs to do is marry someone that has 3x his net worth

The reason I said what I said is Josh has been wealthy his whole life so he doesn't strike me as someone who's going to insist on being the highest paid even if it hurts the team. He came out in college about paying players not because he wanted money for himself, but because he had teammates who struggled to make it every month on their scholarship money. So it would not surprise me at all if he was willing to take less than "market value". But that doesn't make him the next Brady that has to also be done on the field. Again I like Josh, a great deal, always have, but even at UCLA I was pointing out there were things he didnt' do as well as I expected he would. I THINK he'll be a good NFL QB I really do, I'm just not 100% confident I'm right and the fact that he didn't seem to have the game slow down last year makes that certainty even less.

If it were me, I'd take Bosa or try and trade the pick, but I'm also willing to trust in Kliff at this point since we hired him

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Sure. But what if Rosen, through his agent, tells the Cards and NE that's he's not interested in holding a clipboard and possibly getting flipped in a few years?

I don't think there is an opportunity out there (outside of Washington) where Josh wouldn't be holding a clipboard for a year (plan).

Giants - Manning
San Diego - Rivers
NE - Brady
AZ - Murray (hypothetical)

He doesn't have leverage.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson