How many all-star games will Ayton play in?

How many all-star games will Ayton play in?

Votes: 7 20.0%

Votes: 2 5.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • >3

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jokic, Gobert and Towns are in their low-mid 20’s and play for better teams so I don’t think he’ll get there any time soon.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Plenty...but likely not for the Suns, unless Igor is let go at the end of the season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It blows my mind that there are votes for 0...

Ayton is a 19 year old averaging 16/10 on good efficiency. He will easily be a 20+/12+ guy in his prime and that will easily get him plenty of all star appearances.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a better question might have been "How long until Ayton becomes an All-Star" because it's inevitable he'll be an All-Star in the future. He's not far from posting All-Star numbers already. I do think it will take him a little time to get there but that has more to do with how teams are voted on now compared to the past with no "Center" being on the ballots for fans or coaches/players. Having to select guards and "frontcourt" players won't help him in the west when there are so many forwards out there like Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, Draymond, Millsap, Aldridge, Paul George, and Porzingis next year. That's not counting Centers like Cousins,Towns, and Gobert either.

OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many did Al Jefferson make?
2 votes RN for zero, cmon trolls

I started this poll because I don’t think he’ll ever be an all star. He has pretty good stats for a rookie and does a few things really well, but I haven’t seen any flashes of dominance from him all season. 16 and 10 or even 20 and 10 doesn’t guarantee an all star appearance. He needs to impact winning, which I haven’t seen much of.

I get that he’s a rookie and most rookies improve. But I’m amazed at how many people on this board seem to take his eventual improvement to all star caliber as a given.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He never made an All-Star team but he did make 3rd team All-NBA in 2013-14, which happened to be the same year that Dragic made the 3rd All-NBA team. That seemed to be a "make-up" year for All-Star snubs.

Jamaal Magloire was an All-Star once and Roy Hibbert was a 2 time All-Star. If Ayton is less than either of them, or all 3 including Jefferson, I'll be very disappointed. I don't think he'll be that dominant and will be our 2nd option to Booker for years to come but I would be surprised if he doesn't make an All-Star team before his rookie deal is up, so that would mean within the next 3 seasons he'd need to make an All-Star team and I think that's likely.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I started this poll because I don’t think he’ll ever be an all star. He has pretty good stats for a rookie and does a few things really well, but I haven’t seen any flashes of dominance from him all season. 16 and 10 or even 20 and 10 doesn’t guarantee an all star appearance. He needs to impact winning, which I haven’t seen much of.

I get that he’s a rookie and most rookies improve. But I’m amazed at how many people on this board seem to take his eventual improvement to all star caliber as a given.

I think you have to compare him to the rookies of similar age from the past. Al Jefferson, for example, averaged 6.7 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in his rookie year (older than Ayton.) In his second year, he averaged 7.9 points and 5 rebounds, albeit in fewer minutes. In his third year, at the age of 22, he averaged 16 and 11. He was actually a good player, who really got hurt by the changes in the NBA and the traditional big men losing their importance.

Patrick Ewing, for example, averaged 20 and 9 his rookie season at the age of 23. Amare Stoudemire averaged 13.8 and 8.8 in his rookie season. Anthony Davis averaged 13.5 and 8.8 in his rookie season.

Big man are usually not very good their first and second year in the league. Ayton is an outstanding player for his age and his size. He is averaging over 16 and 10 on 58% shooting at the age of 20. Barring any crazy injuries or something, he will be an All-Star. He has great hands, pretty good jumper, can score in a variety of ways. Those turn-around jumpers from either side are amazing moves by a young kid.

I just don't understand what people expect from this kid.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i've only seen 1 of the last 10 games but i've listened to parts of them and review the stats each night.
it seems to me that Ayton has regressed more than progressed,
especially late in games -- he's not much of a factor

i can't evaluate Ayton's future until i see him under a new coach for a couple of months

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Depends on when the Suns will be good again. Booker should have at least 2 all-star appearances by now, but he’s punished for playing with a bottom-feeder. Ayton, with all of the adversity surrounding him, is already Top-10 at his position, so it’s not far-fetched to say that he’ll make an all-star appearance once we get a point guard, more talent and perhaps a different coach.

Remands to be seen, but barring any health issues, Ayton should make at least 5 in his career. IMO

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's 19 or 20 and he's still relatively new to basketball, I think it's pretty unlikely he does NOT get much better.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Very rarely, if ever, do players cap out in development at 20 years old (barring having a lot of injuries). Ayton will almost certainly improve every year for the next 5-7 seasons and that is with a starting point of 16/10 on 58% shooting. It's almost like you expect young players to be near finished products right away as opposed to letting them have a few years to develop. I mean, just look at the strides that Booker has made in the last few years and he's still 2-3 years from even entering his prime years.

Also I'm confused as to what you mean you haven't seen "flashes" from Ayton. The dude has had some seriously good games and has even had some dominant moments this season. Not to mention he is averaging extremely good numbers for a rookie that not even a rookie Amare or AD put up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very rarely, if ever, do players cap out in development at 20 years old (barring having a lot of injuries). Ayton will almost certainly improve every year for the next 5-7 seasons and that is with a starting point of 16/10 on 58% shooting. It's almost like you expect young players to be near finished products right away as opposed to letting them have a few years to develop. I mean, just look at the strides that Booker has made in the last few years and he's still 2-3 years from even entering his prime years.

Also I'm confused as to what you mean you haven't seen "flashes" from Ayton. The dude has had some seriously good games and has even had some dominant moments this season. Not to mention he is averaging extremely good numbers for a rookie that not even a rookie Amare or AD put up.

He’s been very consistent. His number are better than Amares rookie numbers on average, but Amare and Booker had some dominant games as rookies. I haven’t seen anything like that from Ayton. I’d be happy to be wrong though.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depends on when the Suns will be good again. Booker should have at least 2 all-star appearances by now, but he’s punished for playing with a bottom-feeder. Ayton, with all of the adversity surrounding him, is already Top-10 at his position, so it’s not far-fetched to say that he’ll make an all-star appearance once we get a point guard, more talent and perhaps a different coach.

Remands to be seen, but barring any health issues, Ayton should make at least 5 in his career. IMO

yeah he hasn't been selected due to our wins, but my god the west is stacked with players especially the last 3 years.

I mean one team 3 in Curry Thompson and KD. Then there's Harden and Lillard.

Their games are just more polished right now than Booker. Book has time to hopefully mature into a player who knows when to make the right play. Having a stable FO, coaching and better players around him will only help.

OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Blake Griffin and Shaq had arguably their best statistical seasons as rookies.

Ayton’s freethrow rate is the biggest concern. A trash defender is only gonna be an all star if he’s a dominant offensive player. I can’t see someone with such low free throw rate (like Al Jefferson) carrying an offense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with most of this although not with the idea Ayton is already top 10 at his position. He has some great nights but all told I don't think he's even close to that level right now. But regardless, if he puts up 22 and 12 and we are a formidable team, he will be a fixture in the All Star game. And if we still look like a minor league team, he will be a spectator.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
i've only seen 1 of the last 10 games but i've listened to parts of them and review the stats each night.
it seems to me that Ayton has regressed more than progressed,
especially late in games -- he's not much of a factor

i can't evaluate Ayton's future until i see him under a new coach for a couple of months
And . . . the Suns need to add a talented big man coach (in addition to a new Head coach who will incorporate his advice).

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He never made an All-Star team but he did make 3rd team All-NBA in 2013-14, which happened to be the same year that Dragic made the 3rd All-NBA team. That seemed to be a "make-up" year for All-Star snubs.
To be fair, Dragic deserved a spot on one of the All NBA teams that year. It wasn’t a “make-up”, he actually earned that just like he should’ve gotten an All Star nod that year as well.

Him making the All Star game last year or the year before was the only one which he probably got based on longevity and popularity rather than actual play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Am I right that Ayton didn’t have a single 30 point game this season? That surprises me. We just never saw an explosive game or string of explosive games. And I agree that the lack of getting to the free throw line is troubling.

That said I think he makes multiple all star games. He’s got warts but I’m still waaaay bullish on his future.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I right that Ayton didn’t have a single 30 point game this season? That surprises me. We just never saw an explosive game or string of explosive games. And I agree that the lack of getting to the free throw line is troubling.

That said I think he makes multiple all star games. He’s got warts but I’m still waaaay bullish on his future.

He scored 33 against Denver back in December. He had 33 & 14 that night. Next best scoring game was 26, which he hit 3 times.

I'll also add that he shot 16 or more field goals in 16 games this year. That's about what you would think he'd need to get close to 30 if he ever shot FT. His high for the season in FT attempts was 14 against the Lakers on March 3rd, he made 10. Second highest was 8 attempts twice, he had 6 attempts in 4 games. So in all but 7 games he shot 5 or less Ft's, which is a bit concerning for someone who plays in the paint like he does.

Here's the boxscore for that Denver game...
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201812290PHO.html

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He scored 33 against Denver back in December. He had 33 & 14 that night. Next best scoring game was 26, which he hit 3 times.

I'll also add that he shot 16 or more field goals in 16 games this year. That's about what you would think he'd need to get close to 30 if he ever shot FT. His high for the season in FT attempts was 14 against the Lakers on March 3rd, he made 10. Second highest was 8 attempts twice, he had 6 attempts in 4 games. So in all but 7 games he shot 5 or less Ft's, which is a bit concerning for someone who plays in the paint like he does.

Here's the boxscore for that Denver game...
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201812290PHO.html

Except that by Igor's design, he spends way too much time outside the paint.