How many all-star games will Ayton play in?

How many all-star games will Ayton play in?

Votes: 7 20.0%

Votes: 2 5.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • >3

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That was the game where he dropped like 18 in a quarter or something like that, I think. They shut him down in the second half, but that one quarter was amazing. That said, I think Ouchi's point stands- he really hasn't had that one insane 30 and 20 game yet. I am more than fine with his development, but I really wish he'd have a crazy 30/20 game.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Blake Griffin and Shaq had arguably their best statistical seasons as rookies.

Ayton’s freethrow rate is the biggest concern. A trash defender is only gonna be an all star if he’s a dominant offensive player. I can’t see someone with such low free throw rate (like Al Jefferson) carrying an offense.

Wow.

It's just hard to get so many things wrong in one post.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not just one game, Stef. It has been a regular occurrence this season that, when Ayton scores well in the 1st half, no plays are called for him in the 2nd half.

And, when he does get the ball, he is stationed so far out to set picks that he has to drive to the basket or pop from the outside.

Our Center is being treated as a Wing to the detriment of the team. And his first year development. His skill set gets him meaningless stats, but he is not being put in a position to develop or help the team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the game where he dropped like 18 in a quarter or something like that, I think. They shut him down in the second half, but that one quarter was amazing. That said, I think Ouchi's point stands- he really hasn't had that one insane 30 and 20 game yet. I am more than fine with his development, but I really wish he'd have a crazy 30/20 game.

Alec Peters went off for 40 something in the final game last year, let's hope Ayton does something similar. Of course it'd be nice to see it happen before then but that would be an interesting experiment at the end of the season, see how many points Ayton can get. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he was worn out by the half or at some point in the 3rd quarter. He needs to work on his conditioning.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alec Peters went off for 40 something in the final game last year, let's hope Ayton does something similar. Of course it'd be nice to see it happen before then but that would be an interesting experiment at the end of the season, see how many points Ayton can get. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he was worn out by the half or at some point in the 3rd quarter. He needs to work on his conditioning.

He went for 36 against a bad G League team. They wore Mavericks uniforms but the players that logged minutes were Aaron Harrison, Kyle Collinsworth, Dorian Finney-Smith, Johnathan Motley, Dwight Powell, Jalen Jones and Maxi Kleber. I left out just Yogi Ferrell but he only logged 7 minutes, I guess they were afraid he might spoil their tank.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He went for 36 against a bad G League team. They wore Mavericks uniforms but the players that logged minutes were Aaron Harrison, Kyle Collinsworth, Dorian Finney-Smith, Johnathan Motley, Dwight Powell, Jalen Jones and Maxi Kleber. I left out just Yogi Ferrell but he only logged 7 minutes, I guess they were afraid he might spoil their tank.

I know it was a tank game but you're selling some of those players short, particularly Finney-Smith, Powell, and Kleber. Those 3 have all played in over 20 minutes a game for the Mavericks this year and have started in at least 17 games up to this point. Even if there is another tanking going on, that's fine. The goal should be feed Ayton, all night. Let him try to put up 50. I was only referencing that game to point out how teams aren't really playing for anything in the last game of the year. It doesn't hurt to see Ayton go off in that situation. The only issue would be if he failed miserably but I doubt that happens.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it was a tank game but you're selling some of those players short, particularly Finney-Smith, Powell, and Kleber. Those 3 have all played in over 20 minutes a game for the Mavericks this year and have started in at least 17 games up to this point. Even if there is another tanking going on, that's fine. The goal should be feed Ayton, all night. Let him try to put up 50. I was only referencing that game to point out how teams aren't really playing for anything in the last game of the year. It doesn't hurt to see Ayton go off in that situation. The only issue would be if he failed miserably but I doubt that happens.

I agree, a lot of teams will be mailing it in at the end of the season. But that was about as close to a G League lineup as you will see in the NBA. Dwight Powell is probably the only player that would set it apart from a minor league team. And I say that even knowing that Maxi would almost surely beat out our starting power forward (Bender, of course).

But I'm all in favor of seeing Ayton go off in a game or two down the stretch here. We know he has it in him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree, a lot of teams will be mailing it in at the end of the season. But that was about as close to a G League lineup as you will see in the NBA. Dwight Powell is probably the only player that would set it apart from a minor league team. And I say that even knowing that Maxi would almost surely beat out our starting power forward (Bender, of course).

But I'm all in favor of seeing Ayton go off in a game or two down the stretch here. We know he has it in him.
Well, he has the capability. Does he have the drive? Dunno. Haven’t seen it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He went for 36 because he got hot and nailed 8 threes (some of which were tough shots). It had little to nothing to do with the competition, but a good shooter going on a hot streak.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he has the capability. Does he have the drive? Dunno. Haven’t seen it.

No we haven't but we did see it several times in college. He had a bad first game in the conference tournament but he bounced back with two huge games (30 plus points, double digit rebounds). He also had a dominant game late in the season Oregon where he went for 28 and 18 in a loss.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He went for 36 because he got hot and nailed 8 threes (some of which were tough shots). It had little to nothing to do with the competition, but a good shooter going on a hot streak.

Well, sure, he had to make the shots but defense matters. Just like it did in Goodwin's rookie year when he went off against the Kings B squad in the final game of the season. He was 11 for 13 because he was hot and because the Kings paid little attention to him. I'm not trying to take anything away from Peters (or Goodwin) but context matters. We can't count on Ayton being ignored like that if for no other reason than, unlike Goodwin and Peters, he is well known and has been well scouted.

I'm just trying to head off the troll-ish (IMO) comments that will likely follow if Ayton doesn't go for 30 and 20 in the final game. I can just see the "geez, even scrubs like Peters and Goodwin were able to dominate in the final game so why can't our number 1 pick do it". That will likely be followed by the "Igor made him set picks out deep all night and never ran any plays for him".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose