ASU Baseball 2019

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
They're ranked #36 in the pres-season poll. Ouch, kinda. On the plus side, Torkelson is a preseason first-team All-American.

This kinda stuff happened to USC after Rod Dado passed away. I dunno.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice sweep. Warms my heart when Notre Dame loses at anything.

Sounds like Sunday's game was sloppy. Got to tighten that stuff up.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I didn’t know ND wore gold helmets for baseball. Odd.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
6-0 so far on the young season. The 3-2 win yesterday afternoon was mildly encouraging. Only close game they have really been in down to the wire and they won it. Finish off the sweep today.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Their run differential is + 69 so far. They beat the dog poo out of UC Davis today. Pepperdine, then Michigan State coming up. ASU beat MSU in football, swept them in hockey, and now it's time to finish the job. #F-LarryNassar

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Their run differential is + 69 so far. They beat the dog poo out of UC Davis today. Pepperdine, then Michigan State coming up. ASU beat MSU in football, swept them in hockey, and now it's time to finish the job. #F-LarryNassar

Kick Sparty while he is down. This season is starting off well. Last season after 7 games the Devils were 3-4

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Kick Sparty while he is down. This season is starting off well. Last season after 7 games the Devils were 3-4
Normally I'd say the first big series would be vs. Fullerton St. But even they dropped from the top 25. The whole Gestalt of the Pac is odd this year. Instead of ASU and USC, you've got UCLA, Stanford and OSU in the top 10. Dr. Jim Brock's beach chair has to be a little unhappy with these shenanigans. :D

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Torkelson dialed 9 for a 3-run walkoff HR against MSU for a winner tonight in 11, 8-5. I didn't get out a calculator and refigure the run differential, but it's gotta be pushing +73 or +75.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big win. This is one they found a way to lose last year.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sweep of Sparty. Cal State Fullerton is next. Normally this would be a major test but I see they are just 5-4. First games on the road this season.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Off to a great start. We needed this!

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
12-0

Excited about the start but always worried it is a mirage. In a year where the talk was coaching staff on hot seat, the team has responded

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
12-0

Excited about the start but always worried it is a mirage. In a year where the talk was coaching staff on hot seat, the team has responded
Well, there some positive and negative.

The bad news: they have series against all the three heavy-hitters (for now) in the Pac; UCLA, Oregon St. and Stanford.
The good news: they get 'em all at Phoenix Muni.

They're up in the upper 20s in a few of the polls. But there are so many polls, it all gets confusing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
When I moved to the area in 1981, my dad and I went looking for a baseball game. Coming from St. Louis, we had high standards. Sitting down to a game at Packard with some young kind named Barry Bonds seems right. Not to mention Jason Kendall or Oddibe McDowell. Though we also caught Phoenix Firebirds games at Phoenix Muni...until it got too hot in the summer, the Six-Pac caught our attention.

I asked an acquaintance in the AD office to consider a "Lawn Chair" day at Phoenix Muni for him. We'll see.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
When I moved to the area in 1981, my dad and I went looking for a baseball game. Coming from St. Louis, we had high standards. Sitting down to a game at Packard with some young kind named Barry Bonds seems right. Not to mention Jason Kendall or Oddibe McDowell. Though we also caught Phoenix Firebirds games at Phoenix Muni...until it got too hot in the summer, the Six-Pac caught our attention.

I asked an acquaintance in the AD office to consider a "Lawn Chair" day at Phoenix Muni for him. We'll see.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think you're thinking of someone else besides Jason Kendall.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I think you're thinking of someone else besides Jason Kendall.
Yeah, I guess I got my decades mixed up. But that's how long we sweated it out. :D

In about 2007-ish, my dad and I went down to Packard and got tickets for the regional game vs. Coastal Carolina. We landed smack dab behind home plate. I don't know how much cheddar my dad plunked down, and I never asked. Carolina had a guy named "Costanza" and I ginned up the crowd with the chant of "George! George! George!" until he looked back at me and gave me the one-finger salute.

EDIT: Now 15-0 after sweeping the Xavier Musketeers.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I got my decades mixed up. But that's how long we sweated it out. :D

In about 2007-ish, my dad and I went down to Packard and got tickets for the regional game vs. Coastal Carolina. We landed smack dab behind home plate. I don't know how much cheddar my dad plunked down, and I never asked. Carolina had a guy named "Costanza" and I ginned up the crowd with the chant of "George! George! George!" until he looked back at me and gave me the one-finger salute.

EDIT: Now 15-0 after sweeping the Xavier Musketeers.

LOL.

Packard was great. I always think of the guy who wound sing Gooooooo Devils!

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still undefeated. Winning the close games as will as blowing opponents out. Stay focused on the next opponent and don't look ahead to Oregon.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave