Receivers and RAC in Air Raid

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it possible that some of the guys on the roster now might be better in that sort of passing game than with what Wilks was wanting to run?

Maybe not Chad Williams, but it seems to me that guys like JJ Nelson and Pharaoh Cooper, who may not necessarily have great hands on 50-50 balls, might do a lot better getting short screens with room to run.

Thoughts?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that some of the guys on the roster now might be better in that sort of passing game than with what Wilks was wanting to run?

Maybe not Chad Williams, but it seems to me that guys like JJ Nelson and Pharaoh Cooper, who may not necessarily have great hands on 50-50 balls, might do a lot better getting short screens with room to run.

Thoughts?
I thought the same thing. Another thought I had is kingsbury had been around college talent for his entire career. You got to think “everybody” is going to look good to him so he will have to depend on his coordinators to sift through the roster.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's funny, I was thinking the same.

1. Will Fitzgerald come back? If so, he fits the TE kind of receiving role at this point in his career.

2. Christian Kirk should really take off in this offense. He should get multiple wide open receptions in space per game.

3. Just like this past season, the receiving corps gets dicey after these two. I want to see more of Sherfield. This will probably be the year that the team has seen enough of Williams and Nelson...both should probably not be back. Cooper was a big time YAC guy at South Carolina and also fits this offense much like Kirk does.

4. I think the team should sign Tyrell Williams. He'll probably take an overpay, but he fits the big, fast outside receiver mold. Adding a veteran who is proven is important, so if you don't get Williams, sign someone who has been productive in the past.

5. Draft a young guy. If you bring in Tyrell Williams, the Cardinals don't have to spend a higher pick and instead can focus on using a mid rounder on a guy who fits the KK mold.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Air Raid uses the HB as a receiver often.

I think that last year's offense and coaching staff made everyone look significantly worse. Will this turn the guys we have into stars? I'd be surprised. I think that Fitz is still a fine starting wideout, and I think that Kirk can be, also. I saw good stuff from Chad Williams.

I expect J.J. Nelson to go to Cleveland or Tampa Bay. Hard to see him coming back here.

As for Cooper, he has 0 receptions in 3 NFL seasons. I'm guessing he's almost completely useless in an offense.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I was thinking the same.

1. Will Fitzgerald come back? If so, he fits the TE kind of receiving role at this point in his career.

2. Christian Kirk should really take off in this offense. He should get multiple wide open receptions in space per game.

3. Just like this past season, the receiving corps gets dicey after these two. I want to see more of Sherfield. This will probably be the year that the team has seen enough of Williams and Nelson...both should probably not be back. Cooper was a big time YAC guy at South Carolina and also fits this offense much like Kirk does.

4. I think the team should sign Tyrell Williams. He'll probably take an overpay, but he fits the big, fast outside receiver mold. Adding a veteran who is proven is important, so if you don't get Williams, sign someone who has been productive in the past.

5. Draft a young guy. If you bring in Tyrell Williams, the Cardinals don't have to spend a higher pick and instead can focus on using a mid rounder on a guy who fits the KK mold.
Williams is only 26 . His best football could be in front of him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What NFL WR FA's fit best in Air Raid (why)?
As mentioned above, I think a guy like Tyrell Williams gives us a bigger wr if and when fitz leaves. I also think some quick wr like Beasley, humphrie, or maybe a robby Anderson ( off field issues). Anderson can fly.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Any interest in Jalen Strong? Big 6'2 wide out. He killed at ASU but never really hung on in NFL. He was released from Jacksonville last April. A bit of a knucklehead (pot arrest) but Id take a flyer for the practice team to see how he does?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Any interest in Jalen Strong? Big 6'2 wide out. He killed at ASU but never really hung on in NFL. He was released from Jacksonville last April. A bit of a knucklehead (pot arrest) but Id take a flyer for the practice team to see how he does?
We have Chad Williams to fill this role

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn’t be against tripling down on WRs in the draft.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What NFL WR FA's fit best in Air Raid (why)?
From what I've read, the Air Raid base offense:

- Features wide line splits.

- Sets the QB and RB deep

- QB typically takes a direct snap

- There are 2 receivers on either side (a wide guy and a slot guy)

- TE seldom a key factor

- Emphasis is on quick drops, short routes and giving receivers as much RAC room as possible.

Sounds like there's plenty of room for a variety of receiving types. Card problem isn't so much the lack of one guy as it is having a shallow pool of receiving talent across the board. Fitz and Kirk are a good start but the position is awfully, awfully thin.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn’t be against tripling down on WRs in the draft.
Absolutely! Guys I would luv & seen lots of games of: in no order

1) Jordan Humphreys-going to be a better pro than a college WR imo. Size, speed & great RAC

2) Hakeem Butler-physically dominated throughout his career

3) N’Keal Harry-same as Butler

4) Antoine Wesley-Techs best WR. Big physical & elusive. I guarantee you the Cards will draft this kid at some point.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Air Raid uses the HB as a receiver often.

I think that last year's offense and coaching staff made everyone look significantly worse. Will this turn the guys we have into stars? I'd be surprised. I think that Fitz is still a fine starting wideout, and I think that Kirk can be, also. I saw good stuff from Chad Williams.

I expect J.J. Nelson to go to Cleveland or Tampa Bay. Hard to see him coming back here.

As for Cooper, he has 0 receptions in 3 NFL seasons. I'm guessing he's almost completely useless in an offense.
Do you think this could mean more opportunities for TJ Logan and DJ Foster? How do you guys think they will fit into this system? I always felt like TJ Logan was misused, am I delusional to think he could be our Tariq Cohen?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave