Bill Davis is Back as LB Coach

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When it comes to offense, Kliff is a "yes man" for nobody. He runs the show on that side of the ball and you will see it soon enough for yourself. Jason Garrett is a complete joke in that regard.

Kingsbury doesn't know squat about defense and so he's leaning on the management to help him fill out the staff. He is showing good self-awareness that he needs help with this aspect of the team.

And judging by your avatar, you have no bias whatsoever, right?

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
And judging by your avatar, you have no bias whatsoever, right?

I've watched the guy micromanage an offense for the last 6 years. If the front office tries to meddle on the offensive side of the ball, it will backfire on them one way or another. Kliff's agent said the other day he had offers from 8-10 NFL teams to be OC or HC. He had 40+ offers at the college level. The point being your front office better not be stupid enough to think they can tell him what to do on the offensive side of the ball.

He is smart enough to realize he needs help on the defensive side of the ball. I hope that is a sign he is learning from mistakes at Tech where he surrounded himself with a lot of very young, unproven coaches.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
That is what Davis is good at.

He just got fired from Ohio State because he couldn’t coach their 4 & 5 star linebackers.

The only reason why he was hired was because he was one of Urban Meyer’s best friends. (He was Urban’s best man at his wedding).

The only credit I’ll give the man is that he must be really friendly since a bunch of his friends keep giving him jobs.

He’s been fired 3 times in the NFL (49ers, Cardinals, Eagles) and once at the college level.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
When it comes to offense, Kliff is a "yes man" for nobody. He runs the show on that side of the ball and you will see it soon enough for yourself. Jason Garrett is a complete joke in that regard.

Kingsbury doesn't know squat about defense and so he's leaning on the management to help him fill out the staff. He is showing good self-awareness that he needs help with this aspect of the team.

I would say he has to know something about defense... how the hell could he attack a defense if he knows nothing about a defense :)

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
I would say he has to know something about defense... how the hell could he attack a defense if he knows nothing about a defense :)

LOL, he knows how to do that. He doesn't know how to run a defense. Needs plenty of help from experienced defensive coaches. Hopefully the guys they are hiring will do a good job.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
He just got fired from Ohio State because he couldn’t coach their 4 & 5 star linebackers.

The only reason why he was hired was because he was one of Urban Meyer’s best friends. (He was Urban’s best man at his wedding).

The only credit I’ll give the man is that he must be really friendly since a bunch of his friends keep giving him jobs.

He’s been fired 3 times in the NFL (49ers, Cardinals, Eagles) and once at the college level.

I believe Bruce Arians has been fired 9 times (at the college and NFL level). He is the best HC we have ever had.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I believe Bruce Arians has been fired 9 times (at the college and NFL level). He is the best HC we have ever had.

BA had never been a real HC in the NFL before coming here. His success with the Colts made him an easy hire. It’s very rare that you get an opportunity to hire the NFL Coach of the Year from the previous season.

Tell me, where has Bill Davis had success?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
BA had never been a real HC in the NFL before coming here. His success with the Colts made him an easy hire. It’s very rare that you get an opportunity to hire the NFL Coach of the Year from the previous season.

Tell me, where has Bill Davis had success?

I am not a Bill Davis fan...just saying that every coach gets fired (probably multiple times).

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is more justifiable to worry about head coach K2's credentials than a positional coach with vast (good or bad) NFL experience.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
This was literally one of the biggest topics of the press conference!

KK said he was going to lean on Keim to fill out the staff.

There is this really ridiculous theme I see in the critiques of some of these hirings. People are criticizing failed head coaches being hired as coordinators who were previously successful coordinators and now are criticizing position coaches who were failed coordinators.

The fact that position coaches even got a shot at being coordinators means they were good position coaches.

Bill Davis has always been considered a good LB coach. It's his calling card. He wasnt very good as a coordinator, but that doesn't mean he can't coach.

This is what I was hoping. I only know about Davis as our DC. When Horton was replaced with Bowles I said there is so much talent on D that we really dont know how good Horton was....only how bad Davis was.

If he was hired as DC I would be flipping out. Willing to wait and see as LB coach. It is actually reassuring to hear you say he is good there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score

I for one appreciate your insight on this board. You've been a welcome addition imo.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Regardless of BW, I hope we retain Larry Foote...Larry strikes me as a guy you could groom to be a solid DC.

Most teams have an inside and an outside LB coach, I hope Larry interviews and gets the job.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Regardless of BW, I hope we retain Larry Foote...Larry strikes me as a guy you could groom to be a solid DC.

Most teams have an inside and an outside LB coach, I hope Larry interviews and gets the job.
He and Mike Caldwell were hired by Arians yesterday, to coach outside and inside LBs, respectively.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose