The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There needs to be another word, blunder just doesn't do it. That might be the worst blown call I've ever seen.
I swear there is at least one terrible missed call in every game, but that is about as bad as it can get...

Found a picture of it already.

You must be registered for see images attach

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear there is at least one terrible missed call in every game, but that is about as bad as it can get...

Yeah and he didn't just get there, he took 3 full steps out of bounds before he reached the ball.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Payne is worth a look... Asst/to 2.5 this year and 3.1 last year. 7 ast/36 last year. His 3pt shooting fell off this year but a change scenery could help with that. We have a roster spot...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kobe actually averaged over 43ppg for an 11-game stretch in 2007. Of course he didn’t have the assists/rebs. Still quite a streak given the way the game was played ten years ago.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That entire crew has to be suspended, it was so obvious live that many of the players stopped playing. Curry apparently said after the game he never expected his shot to count he was just sort of shooting it because he wasn't sure if they were going to blow it dead or not.

ONe of the worst no calls I can recall in ages.

There were bad calls before that of course, Harden's FT's to tie the game came on a play where all the contact on the drive was his right hand clearing out Draymond, The Warriors radio guys said they actually heard one of the refs tell Draymond "you fouled him on the right arm." Right after that Curry drove in and initiated contact with Rivers and didn't get a call and started pleading for one. There were a couple of bad calls in the OT that helped the Warriors, i still don't think Harden touched that ball that went out and they gave it to the Warriors.

The whole game came down to one selfish hero shot by Durant in regulation IMO. The Warriors were up 6, Curry passes to KD and he jacks up a 25 footer with more than 10 seconds on the shot clock, misses. harden then makes a perfect hit ahead, over Durant, to Capela who lays it in gets fouled makes the FT 3 point game. That shot is the only reason that game went to OT, even if they don't score on that trip if they run the clock down more they would likely end up in a situation where the Rockets had to foul.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Incredible finish to the Rockets and Warriors game. Harden is absolutely unreal right now.

P.S.: Another major blunder for the referees with a terrible missed out of bounds call on KD in OT with about 30 seconds left...Fortunately for the Rockets it didn't matter.

wow that was awful. Sadly Durant or the warriors can't say that they were clearly out of bounds.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne is worth a look... Asst/to 2.5 this year and 3.1 last year. 7 ast/36 last year. His 3pt shooting fell off this year but a change scenery could help with that. We have a roster spot...

I agree. Actually the Suns have two roster spots open.

Also the Suns might be thinking trade as the trade deadline is only a little more than a month away on February 7th.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danuel House had a good game against the Warriors with 17 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is video of the KD out of bounds play...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m sorry the nba is just stupid at this point. Between that and the Harden dance back for three. Stupid.

I didn't think the picture was right, it seemed way too obvious. When I saw the video though I was blown away that the picture probably gave the refs more wiggle room than the video. There's no debate he was out and it's questionable as to why he even tried to go for the ball at that point since he was out for so long.

They really need to do something with the refs. I'm not sure what could help though. I've heard the idea of assigning a 4th ref who is watching the TV feed that has the ability to overrule some calls but I don't think that would solve much of anything. The bad calls would still happen and they'd lose the ability to say they didn't see it but the refs back each other up so often that I can't see another ref overturning mistakes the others made.

It's crazy to me how any player will get fined for mentioning the officiating in postgame interviews but they release the 2 minute report that shows all of their mistakes. I've heard a lot of calls from analysts saying they should stop doing the 2 minute report because it only makes them look bad, it's not like it solves anything, and the majority who say that are ex-players.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I didn't think the picture was right, it seemed way too obvious. When I saw the video though I was blown away that the picture probably gave the refs more wiggle room than the video. There's no debate he was out and it's questionable as to why he even tried to go for the ball at that point since he was out for so long.

They really need to do something with the refs. I'm not sure what could help though. I've heard the idea of assigning a 4th ref who is watching the TV feed that has the ability to overrule some calls but I don't think that would solve much of anything. The bad calls would still happen and they'd lose the ability to say they didn't see it but the refs back each other up so often that I can't see another ref overturning mistakes the others made.

It's crazy to me how any player will get fined for mentioning the officiating in postgame interviews but they release the 2 minute report that shows all of their mistakes. I've heard a lot of calls from analysts saying they should stop doing the 2 minute report because it only makes them look bad, it's not like it solves anything, and the majority who say that are ex-players.
I don't know if they are like the NFL where the ref teams that are regarded as the best get the big games and are more likely to get playoff games. Between that and filtering out the refs that are clearly missing a lot of calls I think the refs as a whole would start doing a much better job. Obviously missed calls will always happen as they can't see everything, but you would get fewer absolutely terrible calls/missed calls like this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t understand how THREE refs miss that when it’s centered around the ball! Like the harden fiasco it’s not even off-ball action.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some team challenges would help like in the NFL.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They at least need to review fouls on reviews of who controls possession after a ball out of bounds.

They do it on charges/blocks, so why not on possession calls?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they are like the NFL where the ref teams that are regarded as the best get the big games and are more likely to get playoff games. Between that and filtering out the refs that are clearly missing a lot of calls I think the refs as a whole would start doing a much better job. Obviously missed calls will always happen as they can't see everything, but you would get fewer absolutely terrible calls/missed calls like this.

It is similar and the refs, despite how it looks are graded every game I believe.

I don't recall where I came across it but this is what I heard a few years ago. The league kept trying to make changes to the way refs called the game but the more senior officials tended to ignore them, especially come playoff time. But the NBA wanted it called the same, year around, and began forcing/encouraging the more senior refs to retire. This purge was supported by the Players Association also as they felt old legs and old eyes couldn't keep up and call the game correctly. And so, for the past decade the average age of officials has continued to trend downwardly and as is the case with young players, young refs take a few years to get up to speed and even longer to learn how to handle the personalities on the court and on the sideline.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is similar and the refs, despite how it looks are graded every game I believe.

I don't recall where I came across it but this is what I heard a few years ago. The league kept trying to make changes to the way refs called the game but the more senior officials tended to ignore them, especially come playoff time. But the NBA wanted it called the same, year around, and began forcing/encouraging the more senior refs to retire. This purge was supported by the Players Association also as they felt old legs and old eyes couldn't keep up and call the game correctly. And so, for the past decade the average age of officials has continued to trend downwardly and as is the case with young players, young refs take a few years to get up to speed and even longer to learn how to handle the personalities on the court and on the sideline.
But, and correct me if I’m wrong, they’ve at least attained an age where their eyes are supposed to be fully functional, right?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They at least need to review fouls on reviews of who controls possession after a ball out of bounds.

They do it on charges/blocks, so why not on possession calls?

They need to be able to reverse anything when they're reviewing a play. It shouldn't matter much why they're reviewing it but once they are they should have free reign to call a foul where they didn't, call a traveling violation, out of bounds, whatever. I get that there are only certain times they're able to review a play but at that time they should be able to make it right, not just as right as they can.

Unlike the NFL though the NBA has been grooming their refs before they even get to the NBA level by starting them in the G-League. You would think that would make for better officials but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'd be curious to see how many refs actually came up that way though. Of course when they're shorthanded they'll put refs out there that may not have had the same level of training that others have had but I don't think that's an excuse. They need to put a better product on the floor and there should be a probationary period where they grade them in the G-League for however long they can, if they could allow for a full season then that would probably be best but they need to get their crews trained properly. I know they shuffle the teams more than the NFL does, which I think may play a role also. If they had more teams of referees used to calling the game with 2 other people that they know that might help also.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, and correct me if I’m wrong, they’ve at least attained an age where their eyes are supposed to be fully functional, right?

You'd think. I have no explanation for this particular blown call, IMO it simply can't be explained away. I was just talking in general about the poor officiating of the past few years. The youth coupled with the manipulation of coaches and players has left us with historically bad refereeing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike the NFL though the NBA has been grooming their refs before they even get to the NBA level by starting them in the G-League. You would think that would make for better officials but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'd be curious to see how many refs actually came up that way though. Of course when they're shorthanded they'll put refs out there that may not have had the same level of training that others have had but I don't think that's an excuse. They need to put a better product on the floor and there should be a probationary period where they grade them in the G-League for however long they can, if they could allow for a full season then that would probably be best but they need to get their crews trained properly. I know they shuffle the teams more than the NFL does, which I think may play a role also. If they had more teams of referees used to calling the game with 2 other people that they know that might help also.

Sure but gone are the days when almost every group had a veteran official with close to 30 years or more of experience. There's still a few very senior refs such as Ken Mauer, Ron Garretson, Bill Spooner and so on but there are more than 30 refs with 10 or fewer years experience. That's a lot of youth to cover up for.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how the F did they miss that call on Durant. That's beyond ridiculous.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Am I wrong, or a victim of my own recency bias, in thinking we’ve never had a year with two such awful blatant blown calls like the Texas Four Step and the Durant Boundaries Are For Other Players?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I wrong, or a victim of my own recency bias, in thinking we’ve never had a year with two such awful blatant blown calls like the Texas Four Step and the Durant Boundaries Are For Other Players?

Recency bias. I'm sure if you pull up past "Around the NBA" threads you would see debate on officiating as well. Last year was really bad from what I can remember. The players and the refs had a special meeting to hash out some issues around the All-Star break last season because there were so many poorly officiated games and a ton of technical fouls being assessed for players calling out the officials.

This year has been bad but I think the officiating has been really poor for the last 3-4 years or so. I think it took a hit when Lebron went back to Cleveland, not that that was the cause but that's just something to note the time when it became really noticeable, IMO. If you watch Inside the NBA you can see terrible calls weekly on Shaqtin a Fool because it seems like Shaq has been throwing in one terrible no call almost every other segment he does.

Here is one Shaq's end of the year compilations. It's from the 2015-16 season with the top 5 uncalled travels. I think he started doing the year end compilations that year also.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some terrible foul calls in NBA history but the referees missing Durant going several feet out of bounds is one of the most obvious I have ever seen.