2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is mind boggling because the team didn’t need another wing player as bad as it did a PG. They compounded this mistake by then signing another wing player on the first day of free agency.

It reminds me of when they did drafted a PG (Ennis) in the 2014 draft despite having two very solid ones already on the roster and then signing another one in FA that year as well.

Roster construction matters.

Free agency is after the draft, and there were several PG's available.

If you want to rip the suns for no pg, rip them for signing Ariza instead of a pg, not for drafting Bridges.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you want to rip the suns for no pg, rip them for signing Ariza instead of a pg, not for drafting Bridges.

agreed. Rondo, Tony Parker and Fred Van Fleet were all available and could have at least given the team something at that position (two of them with championship experience), without breaking the bank instead of going out and signing their fourteenth wing.

Hell, they could have still signed Parker even AFTER they signed Ariza.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agreed. Rondo, Tony Parker and Fred Van Fleet were all available and could have at least given the team something at that position (two of them with championship experience), without breaking the bank instead of going out and signing their fourteenth wing.

Hell, they could have still signed Parker even AFTER they signed Ariza.

I hate agreeing with Cheese but he's 100% right here. There weren't a lot of options but the Suns did have options.

Keeping Elfrid Payton would have been better than how things played out. When Payton's qualifying offer wasn't extended, it started to look like the Suns had a plan somewhere to address our PG situation, especially after Ariza was signed. There was no grand plan that fell apart though. I don't even think there was much of a plan from day to day.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@sunsfan88

The only way the Suns should have given up the Miami pick was for Shai when he lasted. Otherwise the Suns should have kept the future Miami pick for trade value.

Trading #16 for a future pick makes some sense as well. There were not a lot of great options at this slot. The Suns would have had three future first round picks (not including their own) to trade for a proven player.

If Sarver overruled McDonough on trading for Shai, it's a helpless situation for Suns fans.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the first time in nearly four decades of being a Suns fan where I find myself turning off the radio when they start talking about the team. I avoid any discussion about them anywhere except on message boards, and I am not even here nearly as often.

When a team gives up, its hard to stay interested.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is the first time in nearly four decades of being a Suns fan where I find myself turning off the radio when they start talking about the team. I avoid any discussion about them anywhere except on message boards, and I am not even here nearly as often.

The worst thing about this is that nobody that actually can do anything seems to care. At all.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Just another example of Sarver meddling. It has not gotten better, contrary to what some may believe. This organization isn’t going anywhere until there is a new owner. It all starts at the top.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another example of Sarver meddling. It has not gotten better, contrary to what some may believe. This organization isn’t going anywhere until there is a new owner. It all starts at the top.

This is what makes it hopeless. There is no reason to believe Sarver is going anywhere.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is what makes it hopeless. There is no reason to believe Sarver is going anywhere.

Sadly, I KNOW Sarver is not going anywhere, unless he unexpectedly passes away or Adam Silver intervenes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thought has occurred to me the Suns ownership might be trying to push their way out of Phoenix for greener pastures in Seattle.

Hopefully the NBA Commissioner would veto such a move.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thought has occurred to me the Suns ownership might be trying to push their way out of Phoenix for greener pastures in Seattle.

Hopefully the NBA Commissioner would veto such a move.

I can assure you that is not the case, though it used to be a fear of mine as well. The only way the Suns push their way out of Phoenix is if there is no new arena deal and Sarver then moves them when the current arena deal expires, or if Sarver unexpectedly sells to a group that would move the team (which used to be the scenario I feared until I got information confirming that this ownership group is committed to keeping the Suns in Phoenix, at least as long as they have their arena).

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I can blame them for them for both since we already had Warren and Jackson on the team as wings and we needed a PG more even at the time of the draft.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

There is really no reason to care about this team until December 15th.

I’m just glad the Chargers are having a good season this year so that not all my sports teams are complete jokes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a tape of Sarver saying something racist?

that (or something along the same lines of gay-bashing or woman-bashing) is literally the only thing that would force the league to push him out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
it started to look like the Suns had a plan somewhere to address our PG situation, especially after Ariza was signed.

No it didn't, or at least not to most of us.

At this point, even keeping Knight would have been a better option, assuming he ever gets healthy enough to play again. He's terrible, but a few times a month he gets hot, and maybe he'd power the team to the occasional fluke win.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McD said he thought he had something in place for a pg but did not get a chance to see the deal through. Not sure what that means. He was not talking about the draft. The thing is that I believe that Igor is a good coach, not perfect but good. But the atmosphere seems so hopeless and toxic right now.

Sarver's only hope is to bring in a ringer type of GM and then say he is going on vacation for a year--a Jerry West level GM--type. Maybe he could sell half ownership to Jerry Colangelo and let Jerry run the team. The problem with that is that as much as I like Jerry, I am afraid we would see Bryan here shortly and that is not good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McD said he thought he had something in place for a pg but did not get a chance to see the deal through. Not sure what that means. He was not talking about the draft. The thing is that I believe that Igor is a good coach, not perfect but good.

why? what have you actually seen with your own eyes that he's done well as a HC with this team? I could get someone saying "jury's out"... i wouldn't agree, but I could see an argument being made there. but what have you actually seen this season that leads you to believe he's a good HC?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it didn't, or at least not to most of us.

At this point, even keeping Knight would have been a better option, assuming he ever gets healthy enough to play again. He's terrible, but a few times a month he gets hot, and maybe he'd power the team to the occasional fluke win.

Any other team with a competent front office would not have made the moves the Suns did unless they had something lined up to bring in a quality PG, somehow. What that deal would have been, who knows, but virtually everyone took the Ariza signing as a deal being imminent to address the lack of a PG. If a deal wasn't lined up then they knew Knight was healthy and could handle things. They backed themselves into a corner and rather than attempt to get out of it, they threw Knight away to try to distract from the fact they had no plan.

I really can't think of any team that's been so poorly assembled in the last decade, that's why I say it appeared there was a plan in place. Knowing they willingly put themselves in that position though shows how incompetent all involved are/were.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I can blame them for them for both...
That's the truth! We wound up with neither.

It is sad that the Managing Partner hired someone as GM (who at least had received some training from the Celtics), then overrode him in a Draft decision.

What were Sarver's basketball GM credentials? None!

It is too bad that the Commissioner of the NBA can't step in for the good of the game and the fans of the Phoenix Suns.

It was also sad to read the earlier post that maybe, just maybe, Sarver is intentionally bringing down the Suns for a move. He only promised to keep the team here as long as they have a deal with the Arena for a few more years. 2022 will be here before you know it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard