2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
well, sharing the floor with smart pg, and any smart player, will make teammates better
in the moment, and for their future

if the team is unselfish and everyone is dishing, a skilled pg is not essential
but it's still a suns weakness, so an assist man would be helpful in raising our rooks

the upside is, without Steve Nash setting you up for easy buckets
you have to learn how to make more things happen on your own

but like most, i can wait till next season rather than give up too much for too little now

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Aytons a damn rookie. We need to worry about him developing fire in the belly and defensive awareness. Neither are going to come magically with the introduction of a pg.

Just want to say that this is one of the reasons I'm not high on trading JJ. He probably has the most value of anyone not named Booker or Ayton but that doesn't mean we should deal our top asset for just anyone. Beyond that there is no doubting his drive. You can tell that kid wants to win and contribute to that winning. He's deferred to both Booker and Ayton as well. I don't think you can question Booker's drive either. Having guys like Booker and JJ around Ayton should help him develop more of a competitive edge, it can't hurt. It's much better than a team of Bender's.

I know that wasn't the point of your post but I liked the way you worded it and since JJ is being mentioned more and more as trade bait to land a PG, I think trading him for a PG might actually set back Ayton developing a killer instinct. Unless of course we acquire Westbrook to be our PG. I think he has the biggest drive of anyone in the league right now but he's not being traded anywhere. I don't even think OKC would deal him for Ayton and Booker, not that I would be ok with that anyways.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just want to say that this is one of the reasons I'm not high on trading JJ. He probably has the most value of anyone not named Booker or Ayton but that doesn't mean we should deal our top asset for just anyone. Beyond that there is no doubting his drive. You can tell that kid wants to win and contribute to that winning. He's deferred to both Booker and Ayton as well. I don't think you can question Booker's drive either. Having guys like Booker and JJ around Ayton should help him develop more of a competitive edge, it can't hurt. It's much better than a team of Bender's.

this.

talking about getting rid of the fourth pick in the draft last year... that everyone was SUPER HIGH on at the end of last season (and for good reason)... because he's struggled in the first three games is the textbook definition of reactionary.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree that the Suns might as well try to get Bender some minutes, given how bad Anderson has looked. But the long-term solution for this year, assuming that the Suns want to compete, is to make Ayton more of a rim protector and have Warren/Bridges/Jackson cover the two forward spots most of the time.

It is a real shame that the Suns gave up on Chriss prematurely. Odds are, he wouldn't be the answer, but he's a better PF prospect than anyone currently on the roster.

Chriss still sucks.

Nearly every team in the league has a better PF option on their team than Chriss.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We haven't really faced big teams so I'm not sure why Kokoskov has stuck with Anderson as the starting PF. It seemed like Ariza and Warren would be the starters prior to the Chriss/Knight - Anderson/Melton deal. Warren and Ariza can't be worse defensively than Anderson has been. Warren coming off the bench does supply bench scoring so I can see why Igor has kept him there but I'll be surprised if Anderson isn't on the bench by mid November. He may not be out of the rotation but he should not be the starting PF. Jackson is another candidate to start in place of Anderson.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this.

talking about getting rid of the fourth pick in the draft last year... that everyone was SUPER HIGH on at the end of last season (and for good reason)... because he's struggled in the first three games is the textbook definition of reactionary.
Ok. So you have a potential deal for a good young pg—worthy of the trade. The team wants one of JJ or Bridges. You have to decide. Who do you choose?

I am not giving up on JJ. I think he is going to be a fine player. I think he is our best trade piece at the moment (of the pieces we would be willing to trade). If we can get a good young pg without giving either Bridges or JJ up, fine.

I just think Bridges is going to be the better player of the two. Even in short minutes you can see his skills and intelligence for the game. He does all the little things that other young players do not. He is Ginobili smart.

If I am mistaken right now it’s in over valuing Bridges, not in under valuing JJ.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm okay with Anderson and Ariza starting. If their first 2-3 shots don't fall and they're getting beat on defense, pull them 5-7min into the game and get the subs going.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. So you have a potential deal for a good young pg—worthy of the trade. The team wants one of JJ or Bridges. You have to decide. Who do you choose?

I am not giving up on JJ. I think he is going to be a fine player. I think he is our best trade piece at the moment (of the pieces we would be willing to trade). If we can get a good young pg without giving either Bridges or JJ up, fine.

I just think Bridges is going to be the better player of the two. Even in short minutes you can see his skills and intelligence for the game. He does all the little things that other young players do not. He is Ginobili smart.

If I am mistaken right now it’s in over valuing Bridges, not in under valuing JJ.

I think JJ has a MUCH higher ceiling than Bridges. But Bridges is the safer pick at this stage so I don't know what I'd do.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am a huge Bridges fan. Stuff he is good at is the stuff you can't teach. He is just a calm, collected, smart player. His defense and shooting are very good, and he actually surprised me with his ability to drive and pass. That said, I'd like to see about 20 games with Bridges getting 20+ minutes per game before I'd choose between him and Jackson.

Granted, Jackson is good at stuff you can't teach either- aggression and athleticism. Bridges isn't gonna get more athletic while Jackson may get smarter and calm down a bit.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bridges is very athletic and he is longer than JJ. I don’t think the difference in athleticism is that great.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We just have to let them play out this year as Anderson and Ariza are probably gone after the rental periods. I believe Bridges and JJ should have different roles. Asking them to be the same type of wing while both having different skills sets is destined for failure. I get the league is trending to long wings who can do it all: dribble, pass and 3's...but there are still advantages of having guys like JJ who are slashers, cutters, and have a drive to hustle. Right now its wayyy too early to say who will make in the league.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Bridges is very athletic and he is longer than JJ. I don’t think the difference in athleticism is that great.

Well, I suppose the problem with the word "athleticism" is that it's so broad and includes so many different things. To me, JJ is much quicker and much more explosive. That's not a knock on Bridges- I just think JJ is really a freak of nature.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I suppose the problem with the word "athleticism" is that it's so broad and includes so many different things. To me, JJ is much quicker and much more explosive. That's not a knock on Bridges- I just think JJ is really a freak of nature.
He might be. I am not sure if JJ was ever really tested. JJ's game seems to be all athleticism. If he had Bridges skill set, he might not seem as athletic because he would play more under control. Mikal is longer than JJ, that is a measurable we know about. Athleticism is by no means a limitation for Bridges.

It is an interesting ongoing discussion. This is just how it looks to me presently.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I know that wasn't the point of your post but I liked the way you worded it and since JJ is being mentioned more and more as trade bait to land a PG, I think trading him for a PG might actually set back Ayton developing a killer instinct. Unless of course we acquire Westbrook to be our PG. I think he has the biggest drive of anyone in the league right now but he's not being traded anywhere. I don't even think OKC would deal him for Ayton and Booker, not that I would be ok with that anyways.
Totally agree! Cheese and I were commenting that might be okay for Ayton not to have the dog in him if JJ’s our dog. But he’s got to progress skill-wise as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
has Chriss even played this season?

Yeah, it's a very small sample but Chriss has clearly been the better player so far this season. The gap between them might narrow though as soon as Marquese actually gets into a game.

What sample size? From what I can tell, Chriss hasn't played a regular season minute...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Totally agree! Cheese and I were commenting that might be okay for Ayton not to have the dog in him if JJ’s our dog. But he’s got to progress skill-wise as well.

I don't think Ayton doesn't have any "dog" in him, I just think he's being a bit tentative because it's early in his rookie season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You might be right in terms of “tested” athleticism. But in terms of “in court” athleticism there’s a pretty big difference. Bridges will get swatted in scenarios where JJ has taken contact and finished through. It’s functional athleticism.

I think we actually have the best example of the difference between the two on our own team in booker. If I recall booker shocked people with his athletic testing prior to the draft, but people were shocked because it hadn’t manifested itself at Kentucky and even watching him play in the nba, he’s clearly not “unathletic” but I don’t think he functionally plays to his levels of tested athleticism. His play is not reminiscent of the top athletes in the league past and present.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn