Chriss and Knight traded

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This franchise, I swear. If Chriss is gone because he's an impossible head case, fine. But if he's gone because he doesn't fit the "system" of a first-time head coach, that's beyond idiotic.

No he was gone after last year regardless of coach or whom we drafted.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You have always been pretty high on Chriss, even over Bender. I am curious why.

Chriss obviously has NBA talent, and Bender obviously lacks it. It may be that Chriss's mental issues will prevent him from ever becoming a serviceable player. If that was the front office's decision, then shipping him out at least makes some amount of sense.

But privileging some vague notion of what Kokoskov thinks he might want to run is just dumb. It's like if you have a sports car that's not of the highest quality, and it needs repair, and maybe you're not sure that it's worth fixing -- but the reason you give it away is that the color doesn't match your shirt.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Chriss obviously has NBA talent, and Bender obviously lacks it. It may be that Chriss's mental issues will prevent him from ever becoming a serviceable player. If that was the front office's decision, then shipping him out at least makes some amount of sense.

But privileging some vague notion of what Kokoskov thinks he might want to run is just dumb. It's like if you have a sports car that's not of the highest quality, and it needs repair, and maybe you're not sure that it's worth fixing -- but the reason you give it away is that the color doesn't match your shirt.

I think this is what the team is saying publicly. It's GM speak.

McD made a comment about the team having more information on players than the public does. He specifically mentioned how players work out. Has everyone forgotten how out of shape Chriss was last year's summer league? And McD also mentioned that Chriss took a step back last year. Sounds like it's a lot more nuanced than just filling a new system. Plus Chriss just sucks. He's not a good NBA player. The best NBA player in this trade is Ryan Anderson. He at least has one good NBA skill (three point shooting). As athletic as Chriss is he even sucks at dunking (highest miss rate in the NBA).

I think that this will overall be a good trade for the team because Anderson can operate on the perimeter and allow Ayton to roam the paint. Teams will pay if the ball goes inside to Ayton and he kicks it out to Anderson. Could you say the same thing about Chriss?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess I'm not as critical as McD for some of his moves. Drafting Bender and Chriss was a roll of the dice. If one of them worked out, the team would've been in a good position.

The move I am critical of was his handling of the PG fiasco, but I think Hornacek probably played a part in pissing off Dragic in how he was used and McD should have never traded so much for Knight.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think Chriss will come back to bite us in the arse. Bender will flame out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think sending Chriss to Houston makes it less likely he comes back to haunt us. Yes, they play an uptempo style which he should do well in but D'Antoni doesn't play young players much and isn't known to develop talent. He's also got a headcase like Melo ahead of him in the rotation right now. If he takes Melo's minutes later in the year I wouldn't be surprised if Melo took it out on Chriss instead of D'Antoni or the Rockets GM.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This franchise, I swear. If Chriss is gone because he's an impossible head case, fine. But if he's gone because he doesn't fit the "system" of a first-time head coach, that's beyond idiotic.

Sometimes saying he doesn’t fit the system is a PC way to say he’s a headcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I still think Chriss will come back to bite us in the arse. Bender will flame out.

I don't know. I think sometimes in sports it's just going to happen. Should the Suns sit back and play him even if he is a terrible fit next to a real potential star (Ayton) even when it's dreadfully apparent he doesn't deserve the minutes he is getting?

I think that people who don't like this trade are missing out on the fact that Chriss has a long way to go to even be as good as Anderson is. The Rockets could make this trade because it bolsters depth even if neither player is as good as Anderson is. Plus the Rockets are in a much better position to hide Chriss' and Knight's weaknesses than the Suns are.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

It's funny that people want straight talk from McD on one hand and then they want him to **** when openly opining on players. I think a few years back, McD probably would've just said "Chriss is lazy and Knight is a douche".

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It's funny that people want straight talk from McD on one hand and then they want him to **** when openly opining on players. I think a few years back, McD probably would've just said "Chriss is lazy and Knight is a douche".
It’s definitely a no win when you have thousands of arm chair GMs second guessing every move.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Let's hope so. Because in fact a player like Chriss -- if he had his head on right -- would be a great fit for this roster. The Suns have only one player who can play inside, and that player has never set foot on an NBA floor. Let's not forget that Chriss also shot 32% from three-point range as a rookie, before everything regressed last year, so he's not far from being a powerful inside-outside weapon.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's hope so. Because in fact a player like Chriss -- if he had his head on right -- would be a great fit for this roster. The Suns have only one player who can play inside, and that player has never set foot on an NBA floor. Let's not forget that Chriss also shot 32% from three-point range as a rookie, before everything regressed last year, so he's not far from being a powerful inside-outside weapon.
Its interesting that McD said the same thing in his interview. Chriss had a better-than-expected rookie year, but then has regressed significantly. Last year he came in out of shape. But maybe that was a symptom more than a root issue.

Its all guesswork right now. The fact that McD said, "We have more info than the public does" was subtle but significant, though.

McD said this about both players and the coach's philosophy.

“A big part of it, not only with Marquese but with Brandon as well — with Igor Kokoskov and his staff coming in, they have new philosophies,” he said. “They have a very high-level offensive system that I think our fans will really enjoy watching because it’s pretty impressive and has proven to be effective over time.

“That being said, the pieces have to fit the system and there has to be a role in the system for certain players, and if there’s not a role, we look externally to see if there are players we can bring in to fit the system and play a role better.”

I don't know about you, but it seems to me that he is saying that BK and Chriss did not have the bball smarts to run the system. Does that seem correct?

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
How can Chriss come back to bite us? Even if he plays reasonably well for Houston, he did not succeed with this team for a variety of reasons.

Keeping him as PF would not have helped take pressure off Ayton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems Daryl Morey is happy acquiring Knight and Chriss calling them underrated.

On Tuesday, Morey discussed why he feels Chriss and Knight will be essential for D'Antoni's offense that is open, trigger happy to 3-point shooting with a lack of a mid-range game. Morey said both players would be "optimized" in the Rockets' system and called them "underrated."

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-chriss-brandon-knight-underrated/1284041002/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Other than the fact that he actually sucks at basketball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy, I figured he'd call them steaming trash bags...

The problem for the Suns is Morey is a very smart guy. I doubt he got the short end of the stick.

The Suns have been seemingly trying forever to rid themselves of Knight. No problem there. However, it seems the Suns could have received more for Chriss unless they really value Melton.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem for the Suns is Morey is a very smart guy. I doubt he got the short end of the stick.

The Suns have been seemingly trying forever to rid themselves of Knight. No problem there. However, it seems the Suns could have received more for Chriss unless they really value Melton.

Regardless, he's obviously going to talk them up. No one makes a trade and then gripes about it.

That his been an intensely analytical team... and they just brought in Carmelo, Chriss and Knight, 3 dudes they wouldn't have touched with a 10 foot pole a few years ago. I think the Rockets have hit that point where they're desperate to get over the hump and they're beginning to forget what got them there.

Chriss and Knight might not see the floor enough to matter but Carmelo is going to take a fat steaming dump on their season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Optimized in the system under Mike D'Antoni. Underrated. 'Sort of passive compliments.

Now if he had said, "They are going to give us the strength to advance in the playoffs.", that would be a statement! :rolleyes:

The Suns and Rockets swapped some players that figured not to be in each team's plans.

I didn't expect Morey to sound elated although I think he will get some use out Knight and Chriss. It wouldn't shock me if the Rockets trade Chriss later on for more value than the Suns received.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless, he's obviously going to talk them up. No one makes a trade and then gripes about it.

That his been an intensely analytical team... and they just brought in Carmelo, Chriss and Knight, 3 dudes they wouldn't have touched with a 10 foot pole a few years ago. I think the Rockets have hit that point where they're desperate to get over the hump and they're beginning to forget what got them there.

Chriss and Knight might not see the floor enough to matter but Carmelo is going to take a fat steaming dump on their season.

No doubt good teams start to roll the dice when they reach a plateau. The Thunder are doing the same by acquiring Dennis Schroder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a side note, I like the Thunder's acquisition of Schroder more than the Rockets acquisition of Anthony. Westbrook needs the help coming off knee surgery.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Not sure why you think this is a Knight for Anderson and Chriss for Melton trade. It is obvious the Suns value Anderson far more than Knight so it’s not a one for one trade.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We got the player with the most upside. I'll take it. Watching pathetic chriss and pathetic knight is something I was not looking forward to seeing

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn