Cord Cutters

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like if I buy a smart TV (with the right connections) I will probably not need all the bells and whistles. Roku and Firestick will likely serve me nicely.
You should only need 1... either a Roku or FireTV/Stick since they essentially do the same thing. DirectTV Now or SlingTV (if you prepay 2 months) will even send you a free Roku Express if you sign up for service.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I’ve been streaming since it first started and I’ve never had a streaming device that worked as well as the Firetv cube. It’s supposed to steam I’m 4K. I only have an hdtv. It’s got a really fast processor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add that some of the newer TVs have Roku built in.

It's interesting you should mention that since I was at Walmart yesterday looking at some Hisense televisions. As near as I can determine the sets I viewed did not have Roku built into the TV. They seemed to have every other app but Roku. I going to need to do some research online. I appreciate the tip.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's interesting you should mention that since I was at Walmart yesterday looking at some Hisense televisions. As near as I can determine the sets I viewed did not have Roku built into the TV. They seemed to have every other app but Roku. I going to need to do some research online. I appreciate the tip.
https://www.roku.com/roku-tv

I know the TCL brand has it because I got my mom one of those. She doesn't use the Roku, but it's on there.

Or search Amazon for "Roku TV"

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know the TCL brand has it because I got my mom one of those. She doesn't use the Roku, but it's on there.

I will follow up. Yesterday was a preliminary scouting trip to see what was available at my neighborhood Walmart store. I didn't see the brand TCL so I will need to do some surfing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like if I buy a smart TV (with the right connections) I will probably not need all the bells and whistles. Roku and Firestick will likely serve me nicely.

We have Fire TV, Apple and Roku. And we use Netflix, Prime and Hulu daily. We stream a lot. Several years ago Directv pulled a fast one and then tried to lie their way out of it. It was the last straw so while we loved their product in general, we left them. And we'd been with them from the first day they were available. And despite having the full Spectrum package and all the streaming we do, we still miss Directv. Think twice before you go the streaming only route. Unless the money is a big deal, it's not all it's cracked up to be. IMO.

Also, we are on our 3rd Smart TV and we still never use it. I'd choose any of the devices mentioned over the smart tv concept.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have Fire TV, Apple and Roku. And we use Netflix, Prime and Hulu daily. We stream a lot. Several years ago Directv pulled a fast one and then tried to lie their way out of it. It was the last straw so while we loved their product in general, we left them. And we'd been with them from the first day they were available. And despite having the full Spectrum package and all the streaming we do, we still miss Directv. Think twice before you go the streaming only route. Unless the money is a big deal, it's not all it's cracked up to be. IMO.

Also, we are on our 3rd Smart TV and we still never use it. I'd choose any of the devices mentioned over the smart tv concept.

It's some sage advice. I plan to keep a foot in each venue until DirectTV plays hardball. As I mentioned earlier, my last renewal with them was not pleasant so I'm preparing for the future with my new TV purchase.

I know you record sporting events and such. May I ask what type of recorder you use?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's some sage advice. I plan to keep a foot in each venue until DirectTV plays hardball. As I mentioned earlier, my last renewal with them was not pleasant so I'm preparing for the future with my new TV purchase.

I know you record sporting events and such. May I ask what type of recorder you use?

I just use the one from my cable company as I no longer record as much as I used to. I buy the NBA and NFL packages and watch the games on-line so there's no need to record. About the only sports I still record are Pac 12 basketball and football games and the Spectrum box is more than enough for that. If I were looking for a box, I'd go Tivo for sure. But there was a time when Tivo was providing the DVRs for Directv. I know that's almost 20 years ago but Directv learned a lot and copied much from that relationship so that's not a bad choice either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just use the one from my cable company as I no longer record as much as I used to. I buy the NBA and NFL packages and watch the games on-line so there's no need to record. About the only sports I still record are Pac 12 basketball and football games and the Spectrum box is more than enough for that. If I were looking for a box, I'd go Tivo for sure. But there was a time when Tivo was providing the DVRs for Directv. I know that's almost 20 years ago but Directv learned a lot and copied much from that relationship so that's not a bad choice either.

If I get a recorder/receiver from DirecTV I understand I will have to sign up for a 2 year contract plus it negates the perks on my current package with them. Chances are I will stay with what I have with them with no recording device.

I do think Tivo might be an option though. I will check it out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have pretty much made up my mind to buy a TCL Smart TV with Roku after checking it out further today at Walmart. Unfortunately the "55" model is temporarily out of stock but should arrive in the next couple of days. Wow. the "65" model blew my mind away (it was in stock) but I think it is too big for the area I plan to use it.

It took every ounce of my willpower not to buy it. ;)

I want to thank you and everyone else for their advice.

Here is the link.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-55-Class-4K-2160P-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-55S405/787770978

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have pretty much made up my mind to buy a TCL Smart TV with Roku after checking it out further today at Walmart. Unfortunately the "55" model is temporarily out of stock but should arrive in the next couple of days. Wow. the "65" model blew my mind away (it was in stock) but I think it is too big for the area I plan to use it.

It took every ounce of my willpower not to buy it. ;)

I want to thank you and everyone else for their advice.

Here is the link.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-55-Class-4K-2160P-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-55S405/787770978

BestBuy has it for the same price ($379.99) if it's out of stock at Walmart. They also have the 5 Series 4K HDR model for $449.99... the main upgrade on that model is HDR (high dynamic range), which is the latest improvement is graphics that's becoming standard on 4K TVs. Basically it just makes the color, contrast and brightness look even better for any 4K content.

Amazon also has the 4 Series for $379.99 with free shipping for Prime members. Although returns would be much harder if there was a problem with the TV since they don't have a local store.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I get a recorder/receiver from DirecTV I understand I will have to sign up for a 2 year contract plus it negates the perks on my current package with them. Chances are I will stay with what I have with them with no recording device.

I do think Tivo might be an option though. I will check it out.

I'm not trying to spend your money but seriously you might be better off financially to take the DirecTV DVR even if you don't last the full 2 years. Tivo is great but it's not cheap and like I said, DTV learned a lot from them. The last time I was with them they had a very good DVR, much better than what I get from cable.

Oh, and when it comes to TV size and viewing distance, the game has changed somewhat. I think 8 feet is all you need for optimal viewing on a 65 inch HDTV but you need to be even closer with a 4K TV (roughly 6 feet). My neighbor has gradually moved his 4K closer and is now just 5.5 feet away. He swears by it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BestBuy has it for the same price ($379.99) if it's out of stock at Walmart. They also have the 5 Series 4K HDR model for $449.99... the main upgrade on that model is HDR (high dynamic range), which is the latest improvement is graphics that's becoming standard on 4K TVs. Basically it just makes the color, contrast and brightness look even better for any 4K content.

Amazon also has the 4 Series for $379.99 with free shipping for Prime members. Although returns would be much harder if there was a problem with the TV since they don't have a local store.

I'm not one to quibble over a few dollars if I get the right product. I definitely want the HDR.

And I was thinking the television at the Walmart link I provided had the HDR. It's supposedly a 5 series with HDR.

I'm trying to deal with Walmart because of their easy return policy with multiple physical store locations. Maybe they change the numbers for different retailers?

I'm getting a bit confused right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to spend your money but seriously you might be better off financially to take the DirecTV DVR even if you don't last the full 2 years. Tivo is great but it's not cheap and like I said, DTV learned a lot from them. The last time I was with them they had a very good DVR, much better than what I get from cable.

Oh, and when it comes to TV size and viewing distance, the game has changed somewhat. I think 8 feet is all you need for optimal viewing on a 65 inch HDTV but you need to be even closer with a 4K TV (roughly 6 feet). My neighbor has gradually moved his 4K closer and is now just 5.5 feet away. He swears by it.

I can't give up my sweet deal at DirecTV at the moment even though it doesn't have a recorder. :cool:

In regard to distance, the 6-8 feet is going to be the range for at least a couple of viewers.

My gosh, you know I want the bigger TV. LMAO

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One reason for this is that the smart features are kind of a "throw-in" to add value to the TV. The problem some might have is that the TV maker is not as invested in making sure the apps are updated for the best performance/experience whereas the outboard devices' software/firmware will be updated much more often because it's their product and they are highly motivated to keep the experience as seamless as possible.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One reason for this is that the smart features are kind of a "throw-in" to add value to the TV. The problem some might have is that the TV maker not as invested in making sure the apps are updated for the best performance/experience whereas the outboard devices' software/firmware will be updated much more often because it's their product and they are highly motivated to keep the experience as seamless as possible.

Agreed. Also I'd have to do a little extra work to send it through my receiver and I'm too lazy to do it.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
We don't get a good NBC signal with our antenna, so use nbc sports app.. this is probably the worst functioning app available for smart TVs!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My eyes glaze over and I get brain freeze when I try to read this whole thread.. I know this question is kindergarten level for you guys, but I gotta start where I'm at... I have a smart TV that's about 5 years old and it doesn't have the Amazon app preloaded. I have a prime membership but we've only used it for shipping. My wife says she wants to watch the Jack Ryan thing. How do I do that without the app? Do I cast it from my tablet or phone? Is this what chromecast is for? It's a cheap way right? Is there a way to load the app to the TV? Would someone spoon feed me, please?

I also get your comments about DirecTv. I'm po'd about their policies and prices but streaming only is not where I want to go.... I'm paying full boat on the NFL package but I'm just not into fighting with them over it this year.... My contract has expired and I don't want to get roped into another 2 years.... I don't want to go to Comcast cable because I can't get NFL if I choose to so why bother.

1st world problem.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
My eyes glaze over and I get brain freeze when I try to read this whole thread.. I know this question is kindergarten level for you guys, but I gotta start where I'm at... I have a smart TV that's about 5 years old and it doesn't have the Amazon app preloaded. I have a prime membership but we've only used it for shipping. My wife says she wants to watch the Jack Ryan thing. How do I do that without the app? Do I cast it from my tablet or phone? Is this what chromecast is for? It's a cheap way right? Is there a way to load the app to the TV? Would someone spoon feed me, please?

I also get your comments about DirecTv. I'm po'd about their policies and prices but streaming only is not where I want to go.... I'm paying full boat on the NFL package but I'm just not into fighting with them over it this year.... My contract has expired and I don't want to get roped into another 2 years.... I don't want to go to Comcast cable because I can't get NFL if I choose to so why bother.

1st world problem.

You’ll need to get yourself either the Fire Stick or Fire TV for Amazon and plug it in to an HDMI port on your TV in order to get Prime Video.

Can’t help you with DirecTV. I stream through DirectNow. $40 bucks a month, no NFL package though.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

1st world problem.

I was in the same boat. I signed up for DTV through Costco a few years ago to get their smokin deal. Last year my contract was up so I called to cancel and they offered me $50 off per month for 1 year and free NFL ticket so I renewed another year. This year I called asking for the same deal and they only offered $50 off per month and $16 off per month for NFL ticket so I cancelled.

I bought an amazon fire tv for $40 and signed up for playstation vue choosing the $50/mo option. I get all the channels I watched on DTV except for the history channel. I added Redzone for another $10, which is the only channel on NFL ticket that I wanted. When GOT comes back I'll add hbo for another $15.

So far so good. I'm sure I'll run into hickups along the way, but I'll figure them out as I go. The dvr system is awesome. Record as much as you want and it stays on the cloud for 28 days.

I'm sure I'm not any more skilled than you when it comes to this stuff and I was easily able to get the fire stick up and running. My wife has prime and it automatically links up when you hook up the stick.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, @Town Drunk what's the difference between the the fire stick and fire TV?

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Thanks guys, @Town Drunk what's the difference between the the fire stick and fire TV?

Fire TV is larger and more powerful, it’s faster when you’re clicking through it. Fire Stick is smaller and portable, but has a slower response time when you’re perusing everything. Video playing works fine for either one. I have the Fire TV for my main TV at home but I take the Fire Stick with me when I travel.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose