Cord Cutters

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m trying to figure out what I’m paying $82.99 for and all it says is “Preferred.”

I have preferred as well, which apparently has been bumped to 100mbps even though I only see about 60mbps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Sling tv has anybody figured out how to get past the sound synch issue? I have it to watch Pac 12 basketball games but I watch with the sound off because of this. In a nutshell, you can hear the crowd cheering a mad 3 before the ball has actually swished through the net. I know about 10 UCLA fans who got Sling this year to watch games and they all have the same issue so I know it's not just my internet speed.

Otherwise I really like Sling, at some point in the future I may just cut the cord and go with Sling as one of my options, but that sound thing really ruins games for me so I just watch with the sound off

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Sling tv has anybody figured out how to get past the sound synch issue? I have it to watch Pac 12 basketball games but I watch with the sound off because of this. In a nutshell, you can hear the crowd cheering a mad 3 before the ball has actually swished through the net. I know about 10 UCLA fans who got Sling this year to watch games and they all have the same issue so I know it's not just my internet speed.

Otherwise I really like Sling, at some point in the future I may just cut the cord and go with Sling as one of my options, but that sound thing really ruins games for me so I just watch with the sound off

Sounds weird, but have you tried turning fullscreen on then off?

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I used to have Sling and I never had that problem. Weird. Do you have a long run on an HDMI cable? Is the sounds running through a audio receiver? Does it only happen when you watch certain things (i.e. Sports) vs all the other programming?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds weird, but have you tried turning fullscreen on then off?

I probably have but will try again.

A side, if I understand it correctly you're supposed to be able to tell what speed the system is picking up on your wifi, in the settings there's something that says connection, when I click on that there's 4 options, mine is set for "best quality" no limit and it says it's 1.9 mbps, while Xfinity's speedtest is reading 58 mbps. Is this actually saying that's my speed it's getting 1.9, or that's all the speed it's "using" ?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have Sling and I never had that problem. Weird. Do you have a long run on an HDMI cable? Is the sounds running through a audio receiver? Does it only happen when you watch certain things (i.e. Sports) vs all the other programming?

using wifi but it was there when I connected by ethernet too.

Only really using it to watch pac 12 basketball so haven't really tested it for non sports.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only really using it to watch pac 12 basketball so haven't really tested it for non sports.

I know sometimes these services have streaming agreements but ultimately get their signal somewhere else before streaming. Test the other non-sports channels.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the DirecTv genie system, it works great as far as the signal from the satellite receiver to the mini ones in the house. I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get the receiver to connect to internet with wifi from router. My Samsung TV connects fine for Netflix etc, as does everything else so I know it's not a router problem.

It seems like it connects for a day or so, then drops it. Drives my wife crazy when we're traveling because she can't connect to recorded content. I can watch live TV through the App easily. I thought it had something to do with static IP addresses and I tried to set that up but somehow it just craters.

I open the router settings on desktop, found the receiver and then set receiver to 10.0.0.20 static (which is not being used by anything else) then go into DirecTv and manually put in default gateway and that same .20 address for receiver. Then a day or so later, the IP address in DirecTv receiver is all 0's again and I get notice that internet connection dropped.

Basically, I don't know what I'm doing.... :) I set up DirecTv service call but when the tech got here he tried to make it work but he said he wasn't allowed to mess with my router settings. Sheesh, this is beyond my extremely limited techno skilz. Has anyone ever tried something like the Geek squad? I dunno what else to do.

If someone has any suggestions, please respond with no more than 2 syllable words.. Ha!

btw, I'm using Comcast internet because it's the only one available where live that has sufficient speed for streaming.

Reaction score

I have Sling & ota only so I use Sling daily & do not have this issue. I've watched only a few sports on it but everything is synced on all of the other programming. Try it on one of non sports channels & see what you get.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
My in-line OTA antenna gets the NBC station in Tucson prefect and NBC station in Phoenix is unwatchable choppy.. not sure why, but if it's not broken don't fix it, right? [emoji16]

I live in North Phoenix.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My in-line OTA antenna gets the NBC station in Tucson prefect and NBC station in Phoenix is unwatchable choppy.. not sure why, but if it's not broken don't fix it, right? [emoji16]

I live in North Phoenix.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It’s all about “line of sight”. We are the same way because we have foothills that block PHX but Tucson is perfect.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't know anything about fubo.tv but I know a couple people who tried DirecTV now and hated it. Have no personal experience on those two. Still loving my PS Vue.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I have DiretcvNow. I signed up in the beginning so I’m locked in to their $35 a month plan that includes over a hundred channels (you can’t get that offer now).

I had some buffering issues with it, especially during prime time hours. However, I was invited to test their new beta app on the Fire TV and it works flawlessly, very little buffering. I think they have more servers dedicated to their beta testing, so there isn’t as much buffering. Once they roll it out to everyone, I think the service will be much improved.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have DirecTV but I am preparing for the future. I'm thinking about going with Sling television and getting the free 7 day trial.

Here is what really got me rolling though. I'm planning to get a new television around 50 inches or so.

I want to make sure I am buying the right television that can get me into the future with streaming.

I'm wondering if Wi-Fi TV is the way to go. Also I'm wondering if one still needs a separate device like Roku to stream programming like Sling.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have DirecTV but I am preparing for the future. I'm thinking about going with Sling television and getting the free 7 day trial.

Here is what really got me rolling though. I'm planning to get a new television around 50 inches or so.

I want to make sure I am buying the right television that can get me into the future with streaming.

I'm wondering if Wi-Fi TV is the way to go. Also I'm wondering if one still needs a separate device like Roku to stream programming like Sling.

I believe a "smart" TV would not require a Roku/Firestick/Chromecast.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You'll probably still need a roku, firetv, etc... It just depends on the smart tv that you buy & how good/smart it is. I haven't bought a smart tv in a while (3 years ago), but the apps like Hulu & Netflix were REALLY slow & limited apps were available. There's a good chance streaming apps like Sling Tv wouldn't be available for your smart tv. I hope they've improved since then... maybe someone else can chime in.

There are some low-end TV's with Roku built into them (element, hisense, rca, insignia, sharp, tcl, etc), but you need to look at reviews to see if they're decent TVs.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe a "smart" TV would not require a Roku/Firestick/Chromecast.

You'll probably still need a roku, firetv, etc... It just depends on the smart tv that you buy & how good/smart it is. I haven't bought a smart tv in a while (3 years ago), but the apps like Hulu & Netflix were REALLY slow & limited apps were available. There's a good chance streaming apps like Sling Tv wouldn't be available for your smart tv. I hope they've improved since then... maybe someone else can chime in.

There are some low-end TV's with Roku built into them (element, hisense, rca, insignia, sharp, tcl, etc), but you need to look at reviews to see if they're decent TVs.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the feed back. I'm looking to get a smart TV with Wi-Fi. Can't hurt. :p

If need be, I will add Roku or Firetv.

It will be a learning experience for me but I need to take the next step and what better time than purchasing a new TV. I'm afraid DirecTV will soon price me out of the market.

Thinking out loud, I'm wondering if I can even stream from my laptop or desk top straight to my TV using Wi-Fi for YouTube videos and such.

If nothing else I will enjoy watching sporting events on a larger screen.

Thanks all. :thumbup:

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It will be a learning experience for me but I need to take the next step and what better time than purchasing a new TV. I'm afraid DirecTV will soon price me out of the market.
Call them and talk to the customer retention department - not the regular customer service. You'll have to jump through some hoops, but it might be worth it. I got them to knock about $25 off my monthly bill by agreeing to another 2yrs and didn't have to change my package. The basic customer service wanted to push me to a new package.

Thinking out loud, I'm wondering if I can even stream from my laptop or desk top straight to my TV using Wi-Fi for YouTube videos and such.
If both devices can screencast you can. For example, I have a dumb TV, but I can cast from my ipad to the xbox and watch that way.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I really appreciate the feed back. I'm looking to get a smart TV with Wi-Fi. Can't hurt. :p

40 inch hdtv with built in roku on amazon for $200.

I got a firetv cube on sale for 89.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tried sling but I was out of market for Fox Sports Arizona, quickly canceled.
So I'm trying youtube tv, I'm getting Fox Sports Arizona, and Fox Sports plus from them.....so far everything is a go.:clapping:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have both a Roku and a Firestick. Roku has 3 models and I have the middle level option ( 49.95 ). I have the cheapest Firerstick ( $19.95). Both work well. Both have voice search. Roku model also has volume control on the remote with hot buttons for Hulu/Netflix/Sling. I like the Roku better but both work quite well. Much news about Hulu. Disney, Fox and Comcast are the major owners and are pouring huge dollars into the platform. Beware the ESPN package. It is minus most of the premier programming.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call them and talk to the customer retention department - not the regular customer service. You'll have to jump through some hoops, but it might be worth it. I got them to knock about $25 off my monthly bill by agreeing to another 2yrs and didn't have to change my package. The basic customer service wanted to push me to a new package.

I agree. Talking to regular customer service is a waste of time. I received a discount on my last contract but it literally went to overtime. They initially said no but right before canceling my service a week later I called one last time. Gladly they said yes this time. It was not a pleasant experience. Sometimes I think it is all about talking to the right people.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both a Roku and a Firestick. Roku has 3 models and I have the middle level option ( 49.95 ). I have the cheapest Firerstick ( $19.95). Both work well. Both have voice search. Roku model also has volume control on the remote with hot buttons for Hulu/Netflix/Sling. I like the Roku better but both work quite well. Much news about Hulu. Disney, Fox and Comcast are the major owners and are pouring huge dollars into the platform. Beware the ESPN package. It is minus most of the premier programming.

It sounds like if I buy a smart TV (with the right connections) I will probably not need all the bells and whistles. Roku and Firestick will likely serve me nicely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose