Booker Upset with Front Office?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Maybe because it's an actual negotiation and not a one way street
The negotiation isn't about how much money though. It is going to be the max, but the question comes down to incentives and a possible player option in year 5.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn't see this posted anywhere. First time I've seen McDonough address this directly. As long as what he says is true I think it was handled correctly from the FO end.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Didn't see this posted anywhere. First time I've seen McDonough address this directly. As long as what he says is true I think it was handled correctly from the FO end.

The organization handled this the right way from what McD said. And his point about what Devin should be involved in, external decisions, verses internal ones makes 100% sense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

good answer. very happy to see they handled the situation appropriately.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to take a double take and make sure that you said this

then you're not really paying attention.

when people do good things, I give them credit. Just hasn't been a whole lot of that the last 8 years.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Booker signs a contract worth 158 mill and he's still upset with the front office?
Over Ulis? Does he even remember his name now? :lol:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Booker signs a contract worth 158 mill and he's still upset with the front office?
Over Ulis? Does he even remember his name now? :lol:
Are you saying that Booker is still upset with the front office? What's the story?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that Booker is still upset with the front office? What's the story?

No, I think he's jus trying to have some fun. Booker is fine with what went down from everything I've read and heard.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No better way to bury hatchets than to put $158 million contract in front of the player. That will solve most problems :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting that he clarified this. They will consult Devin when talking about "externals" ie who they trade for, who they sign as a free agent etc. But they do not intend to talk to him about internals ie who gets cut, sent to G-league, etc.

That makes sense and I assume Devin understands this too.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Interesting that he clarified this. They will consult Devin when talking about "externals" ie who they trade for, who they sign as a free agent etc. But they do not intend to talk to him about internals ie who gets cut, sent to G-league, etc.

Okay but if their trading someone away, that counts as internal right so Booker doesn't get consulted then?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I made this point a week or two ago. You'd effectively turn him into a narc as far as the other players are concerned. Even if the league allowed it, it's just begging for chemistry problems.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay but if their trading someone away, that counts as internal right so Booker doesn't get consulted then?

Well, they can still ask him what his opinion is of an opponent. That doesn't require they tell him the specifics of the trade.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, they can still ask him what his opinion is of an opponent. That doesn't require they tell him the specifics of the trade.
Huh? I meant if they trade a Suns player away like one of Booker's teammates.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They might get his input on the incoming player. It would make for huge chemistry issues if other players believed Booker could get them traded (or not). This whole "consulting players" thing is a sticky wicket. It might make sense for signing free agents but that is about it. Otherwise we end up creating another LeBron James.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah now I'm confused as I thought that's what I just responded to. They will ask his input on possible trade or free agent acquisitions. They will not involve him on talks involving players already on the team. So, no to "should we trade Daniels" but yes to "should we trade for Dunn".

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. They might ask him about the incoming player, but not get his approval on outgoing players--just one side of the trade.

I think the whole thing is not a good idea except maybe for free agents.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah now I'm confused as I thought that's what I just responded to. They will ask his input on possible trade or free agent acquisitions. They will not involve him on talks involving players already on the team. So, no to "should we trade Daniels" but yes to "should we trade for Dunn".
Right, and it would be more like, "what to you think about Dunn? How do you think his game would fit with this team?" rather than a thumbs up or down.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure Booker is smart enough that he could figure out who would be traded if McD came to him and said something about acquiring a certain player in a trade. At that point he could ask who is being sent out and if they don't tell him, he could probably determine who is being traded or throw his 2 cents in like "I get along great with PLAYER X so am I'll for acquiring PLAYER Y but I'd rather not lose PLAYER X as a teammate". It's up to management how that would be handled. It wouldn't be shocking to learn he knows who is being shopped either. Most fans can figure that out and he has a lot more info than we do.

I think parameters were set after the Ulis release though. They probably explained to him that they'll listen to his ideas regarding how to improve and who to target but they can't tell him everything that's happening and explain why they can't.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, and it would be more like, "what to you think about Dunn? How do you think his game would fit with this team?" rather than a thumbs up or down.

You're right, that would have been a better example than mine.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, I think he's jus trying to have some fun. Booker is fine with what went down from everything I've read and heard.

Yup. Just having fun . Everything is fine folks! Just amused that this thread is still going .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard