Chriss???

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Agree that Bender hasn’t shown a lot but how many 7 footers his age showed much more?
So put a 6'9" veteran at Power Forward. Mediocrity should no longer be the ID of the Suns.

Agreeing that Bender has not shown a lot is reason for him not to be our PF, not a reason for him to be.

C'mon, Suns fans. Let's look for the best rather than justify the worst. I know it has been a long time, but it is the dawning of a new era.

We shouldn't justify the weakest links anymore.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So put a 6'9" veteran at Power Forward. Mediocrity should no longer be the ID of the Suns.

Agreeing that Bender has not shown a lot is reason for him not to be our PF, not a reason for him to be.

C'mon, Suns fans. Let's look for the best rather than justify the worst. I know it has been a long time, but it is the dawning of a new era.

You don't think we want the best? We are looking at long term possibilities and trying to determine what that might be? We might have disagreements on this board, but I have found no one here to be a doofus--well almost no one :).

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fox should be in the summer league. I'm not sure why he is not because he needs the minutes.

He played in Utah and got a small injury. They claim he wouldn't be playing in Vegas now even if he were 100%, but who knows...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox should be in the summer league. I'm not sure why he is not because he needs the minutes. Prior to the 2017 draft I really got attached to Fox's game at Kentucky. I guess time will tell.

In regard to the #2 pick in the 2018 draft I think Jaren Jackson Jr. would have been the right choice. After that I would list Bagley and Doncic as #3-4 respectively. IMO, Young went where he should have at #5.

I don't think he should. IMO it's a great place to send players that haven't played major minutes already and/or are not expected to play heavy minutes this season. Otherwise, I'd rather give the player's legs some rest. Fox played 28 minutes per last season and is likely to be in the 30+ area this year. Besides, his biggest flaw is shooting. If I were the Kings, his summer routine would be mostly limited to working with a shooting coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He played in Utah and got a small injury. They claim he wouldn't be playing in Vegas now even if he were 100%, but who knows...

It makes some sense. Fox had a good game against the Lakers in Utah. Either he had an injury or the Kings shut him down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he should. IMO it's a great place to send players that haven't played major minutes already and/or are not expected to play heavy minutes this season. Otherwise, I'd rather give the player's legs some rest. Fox played 28 minutes per last season and is likely to be in the 30+ area this year. Besides, his biggest flaw is shooting. If I were the Kings, his summer routine would be mostly limited to working with a shooting coach.

I can see your point. Playing Donovan Mitchell in summer league wouldn't make much sense.

I do think Jackson needed the summer league experience to improve his game under the coaching of Kokoskov. Jackson still has a long way to go. It was a team thing as well.

However, we see the negative, as Jackson was to undergo concussion testing. I haven't heard the results as yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

6’9” huh? How about 6’8”? Because that’s how tall Ariza is. How important is that extra inch, really? Even in your antiquated view of the NBA?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think SL should be moved to later in the year and closer to training camp. Having it a week into free agency and about 2-3 weeks after the draft is too soon. Players will have a good amount of downtime before training camp so it's not a given they'll retain what they learn in SL. Maybe have it in August or September with it ended a week before training camp opens.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think SL should be moved to later in the year and closer to training camp. Having it a week into free agency and about 2-3 weeks after the draft is too soon. Players will have a good amount of downtime before training camp so it's not a given they'll retain what they learn in SL. Maybe have it in August or September with it ended a week before training camp opens.
I think it's this early because most of the rosters are composed of guys just trying to get a job.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's this early because most of the rosters are composed of guys just trying to get a job.

They could be trying to get a job closer to training camp also. Making it through Summer League is only the first step for a lot of these guys. Perhaps it conflicts with other leagues overseas though. I could see that effecting when it takes place since a lot of the players who don't make it end up in Europe or China.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They could be trying to get a job closer to training camp also. Making it through Summer League is only the first step for a lot of these guys. Perhaps it conflicts with other leagues overseas though. I could see that effecting when it takes place since a lot of the players who don't make it end up in Europe or China.
Yeah, the European clubs will have filled out their rosters by September.

That's a long time to leave the undrafted guys in the lurch. They've got to do it right after the draft.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
6’9” huh? How about 6’8”? Because that’s how tall Ariza is. How important is that extra inch, really? Even in your antiquated view of the NBA?
6'8" is fine, but with some bulk.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How do you feel about Josh Jackson participating for the Suns in summer league?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about Josh Jackson participating for the Suns in summer league?

It's slightly different because we're talking new coach and new system, but yeah, I'd rather JJ be working with a shooting coach than playing in these games.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If you had to decompose Defense into one word it would be HEART. Fundamentals of form are valuable but they always pale in comparison to heart. Bender has that. He displays it every time he's on the court. He will always have value because of his defense. (Often, fans completely ignore the defensive side of the ball regardless that is represents 50% of a player's minutes.)

Bender is a BAD defender!!!!

There is almost nothing to suggest that he is playing defense. His matchups had shot better against him than their average and he has across the board lousy defensive statistics.

And how do you quantify heart? So far Bender is soft as a pillow on defense.

The most symbolic play of the season was Booker slapping away Benders hand who tried to help the opponent who bullied him up after Bender fouled and gave up the basket or freethrows at least, not sure anymore.

Agree that Bender hasn’t shown a lot but how many 7 footers his age showed much more?

I think we can find a lot of 20 year old 7 footers who were not bottom 10 players in the league.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bender is a BAD defender!!!!

There is almost nothing to suggest that he is playing defense. His matchups had shot better against him than their average and he has across the board lousy defensive statistics.

And how do you quantify heart? So far Bender is soft as a pillow on defense.

The most symbolic play of the season was Booker slapping away Benders hand to help the opponent up after Bender fouled and gave up the basket or freethrows at least, not sure anymore.

I think we can find quiet a lot of 7 footers who were not bottom 10 players in the league.
Proof again that you don't really watch the games.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Proof again that you can't argue.
Ha! The argument is that you don't reasonably back up your claims because a) you don't watch games and b) have something personal against the guy. Many of us think you are dead wrong for those two reasons.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ha! The argument is that you don't reasonably back up your claims because a) you don't watch games and b) have something personal against the guy. Many of us think you are dead wrong for those two reasons.

That is rich but then again you called yourself "Chaplin" so at least you acknowledge that you are a comedian.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What concerns me more in the reverse is how totally lost Bender looks. Terrible passes, air balls in the restricted area, getting blocked by shorter players from the perimeter. I like the hustle, but I'm getting really concerned that he just doesn't know how to play basketball.

I've been a Bender defender and a discounter of the importance of summer league, but the rate at which Bender not just struggles but is embarrassing... I'm losing hope.

Yes, Bender looks lost and doesn't seem like the game comes natural to him, and just looks very unconfident. Other than someone who can pop a 3 and play some D, thats it, I don't expect anymore from him.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Eh, you might want to revisit this thought in a year or 2. Fox was putrid last year, I'm surprised he isn't in the summer league. With any player you want to know that they do something well and maybe can work on the rest. Fox was terrible at every phase of the game.

I don't know how Bagley will turnout but, personally, I had would have taken Doncic, JJJ and Young over him.

Fox was in the pre Summer league California Tourney, they said they sat him to get Mason more time, in summer league