OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns could offer Booker $160 million so that is the error I suppose.

I previouslty read something like $158 million is the max.

Maybe Calipari is rounding off numbers.

Finally got one. LOL

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you seen that confirmed somewhere?

Nowhere is mentioning an option, so I guess no news is good news in that regard. It's not confirmation but AZCentral's article didn't mention an option and neither did the ESPN report. ESPN posted this breakdown of the extension, covering every year of it, and again there is no mention of an option.

Here is the breakdown of the $158M rookie max extension for Devin Booker that starts in 2019-20: $27.3M, $29.4M, $31.6M, $33.8M and $36.0M. The Suns will lose $17.4M in cap space next year and now project to have $21M in room before first-round picks are factored in. The extension now has Booker with the poison pill restriction for the season. Despite losing some room next year, locking up a future All-Star is the right thing to do for a team that is looking to change the culture. The extension sends a strong message that both sides are willing to make a commitment long term.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41023043-4

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Nowhere is mentioning an option, so I guess no news is good news in that regard. It's not confirmation but AZCentral's article didn't mention an option and neither did the ESPN report. ESPN posted this breakdown of the extension, covering every year of it, and again there is no mention of an option.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41023043-4
I don't know if any of that sort of information is available yet. These salary numbers are simply determined by the cap number and thus they weren't necessarily reported by the team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if any of that sort of information is available yet. These salary numbers are simply determined by the cap number and thus they weren't necessarily reported by the team.

It's all guess work right now. It's pretty close to what the actual numbers will be. The main reason I posted that was to show the projected effect on the salary cap next season. That's been discussed here for a little while already, even before FA started this summer. Seeing projections by ESPN get taken more seriously than one of the posters here doing the math and writing the projections of what the cap figures might be.

It shouldn't be taken as gospel or anything but it doesn't say there is an option involved either. I think we'll see more detailed info come out tomorrow that confirms if there's an option or not but as of right now, the lack of it being mentioned can be taken as a positive, IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker got the 5 year extension for 158 million. I was WRONG o_O

If it makes you feel better Calipari said he was actually getting more than the max so everyone was wrong. We all pushed for the max but the Suns seem to be sneaking him $2 million under the table somehow. :shrug:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't want anyone to take that seriously, just messing with Pokerface. Calipari did say that during the SL game broadcast yesterday but he was just off on the dollar amount. The real extension has been posted multiple times, 5 years/$158 million.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me real quick, in easy for me to understand, how the max extension thing works?

Why does he get it, and others don't?
Thx.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This guy is not a fan of it.

http://deadsp.in/kxNEblK
The comments are pretty terrible as well. The issue is that a lot of people these days can't wrap their minds around the concept of growth and improvement. Booker did not get signed to this extension based purely on the player he is today, but because of the player the Suns believe he will be through the duration of the contract. Sure if you told me that the player he was last season was the best he was going to get I would say he doesn't deserve the contract, but that is not the case, or at least that is what most of us believe will not be the case.

Also what some people aren't understanding is that this 30m/year salary is actually the equivalent of signing for like 15m/year just a few seasons ago. The cap is going to keep going up and eventually this max deal is actually going to look relatively small. I think people just can't wrap their minds around the idea that contracts are only going to be getting bigger and bigger for the foreseeable future.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The comments are pretty terrible as well. The issue is that a lot of people these days can't wrap their minds around the concept of growth and improvement. Booker did not get signed to this extension based purely on the player he is today, but because of the player the Suns believe he will be through the duration of the contract. Sure if you told me that the player he was last season was the best he was going to get I would say he doesn't deserve the contract, but that is not the case, or at least that is what most of us believe will not be the case.

Also what some people aren't understanding is that this 30m/year salary is actually the equivalent of signing for like 15m/year just a few seasons ago. The cap is going to keep going up and eventually this max deal is actually going to look relatively small. I think people just can't wrap their minds around the idea that contracts are only going to be getting bigger and bigger for the foreseeable future.
In fairness to those people $30M/year for a what 21 year old is just nuts conceptually. That’s not $30M over the course of years, that’s FOR ONE YEAR!?!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
In fairness to those people $30M/year for a what 21 year old is just nuts conceptually. That’s not $30M over the course of years, that’s FOR ONE YEAR!?!
Well that is just the direction that the NBA is going in now. That doesn't make it the fault of either Booker or the Suns. From both of their perspectives they did the right thing with this contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well that is just the direction that the NBA is going in now. That doesn't make it the fault of either Booker or the Suns. From both of their perspectives they did the right thing with this contract.
I agree with you, the reality is just hard to swallow.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am telling you, people forget that he is not 22 yet. He is so good that it really is easy to forget he is still a kid.
Certainly puts my life in perspective when a 21 year old just got paid $158 million dollars over the next 5 years.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Certainly puts my life in perspective when a 21 year old just got paid $158 million dollars over the next 5 years.
It is certainly out of hand, but ...

-- we pay to be entertained

-- this is the age of extremes

Let's enjoy it before it all blows up.

And it is on its way to blowing up. :)

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

People say that but look at what a movie star can make for a crappy movie. The same money for a few months work and most the time the movie isn't even all that good.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People say that but look at what a movie star can make for a crappy movie. The same money for a few months work and most the time the movie isn't even all that good.
But it’s rare for a 21 year old actor to have that salary and that consistency. And to be honest, I have the same reaction (or worse) to an actor making that cheddar.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Dragan Bender makes $4 Million in this NBA, that's enough to have made Gravilo Princip to have shoot upwards and say I'm in the wrong damn business here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn