Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim cited for DUI on July 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Keim is now out of the crime and punishment business within the team's walls. He'll keep his job but he can't be a part of any suspension or fining or cutting for cause without total hypocrisy.

Considering he’ll be suspended, this is not true

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
But by and large the limit is set with some evidence-based design. It’s not a random threshold. It’s when the impairment is typically enough to create a dangerous level. Body weight doesn’t change anything other than the ability to have more drinks until reaching the threshold. And “tolerance” is waaaay to subjective a measure to rely upon from a legal perspective. We live in a society. As such we create laws for the betterment of all people. You live in the society you agree to abide by the laws. You don’t and you pay the consequences.

And Keim isn’t below 21 so the zero tolerance policy has no relevance to this conversation.

End of the day, particularly with the scrutiny of football, Keim should really know better. This is inexcusable.
Your points are all valid. Yes, we have to choose a cutoff point. Nothing wrong with that. The law is the law.

But there's measures of how much indignity I think is fair to take in each situation. The person who had an extra glass of wine with dinner than usual is not the same as someone who recklessly went out and got smashed and completely disregarded the consequences.

It's the difference between my nephew stealing $2.00 in quarters from my change jar to buy a Gatorade or stealing $100 from my wallet to buy drugs. Both are still stealing.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You live in the society you agree to abide by the laws. You don’t and you pay the consequences.

And Keim isn’t below 21 so the zero tolerance policy has no relevance to this conversation.
Sorry, I had meant to address these two things and didn't...

With the risk of skewing off into a tangent maybe more appropriate for another board, we don't exactly have the ability to shirk society's laws. I was randomly born into a society, I didn't join it, so never once did I "agree" to anything. However, I, and most people, are not capable of escaping "society's" law no matter what we do. There's nowhere that I can go live without DUI laws, nowhere that someone who doesn't agree with drug laws can go live, at least not with considerable effort spared only for the few.

As far as zero tolerance, you're missing my point. My friend knew the law - yes, he was drinking illegally. He should have been following the law in your eyes. However, he wasn't drunk, especially compared to me, and acted mostly responsibly, while paying the price. In a perfect world, he wouldn't have had two beers over the course of the night.

Again, Keim's stuff needs to come out before I'll even think of defending him, I just hate this all-or-nothing "you're 100% evil or 100% good" stuff when it comes to the court of public opinion.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Designate a driver, call a cab or uber. It's really that simple. If I, as a teacher, can afford uber, then so can Keim. And I get that famous people may not want the common folk knowing their business or their drinking habits. Fine. Then don't uber. Call a friend. Hire a car service. Do something other than drive.

He should know better.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Designate a driver, call a cab or uber. It's really that simple. If I, as a teacher, can afford uber, then so can Keim. And I get that famous people may not want the common folk knowing their business or their drinking habits. Fine. Then don't uber. Call a friend. Hire a car service. Do something other than drive.

He should know better.

How far was he from his house? What if he was within walking distance?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You are all making assumptions of what happened. Really we hardly know anything about what happened. We don't even know if he was drunk or not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Well, that's where it comes down to people's individual interpretations. To some, being above that .08 threshold is "drunk," no matter what. That's what my mom would certainly tell you.

To others, maybe more seasoned drinkers, we tend to look at it a little different. I look at it as sober, had a couple, buzzed, tipsy, drunk, browned-out, blacked-out, passed out. Maybe too many in my nomenclature, and anything past buzzed I'd consider a real issue for driving, but it's helpful for me to understand where someone is on the scale. Floyd was at the far end of my scale and I consider him reprehensible for what he did.

TJ

Reaction score
“Overreacts” to DUI? Can you overreact to recklessly get placing others lives in danger? I guess if he didn’t kill or maim anyone it’s okay, but otherwise it’s bad.
Calling for automatic termination for all legal encounters is not what I’d consider a reasonable response. There is nothing to condone about DUI, but for those who think that should mean he should be fired on the spot are irrational, IMO. Keim will likely receive a suspension and fine, but i would bet dollars to donuts that Keim is the most embarrassed, humiliated, and remorseful about the situation, which is even worse punishment.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bullsh**** a DUI is a DUI POINT BLANK PERIOD!!

Where’s BIM telling the stories of friends getting killed because of drunk drivers? Usually first one to post. Now y’all are all quiet because he’s a GM? And a bad one at that. So much for DJ’s extension.

I think you're second last sentence tells us all we need to know from you.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the best form of leading by example. On top of questionable roster/draft pick moves. Buh Bye.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Could have been drugs. Not alcohol...and that is my point. We really don't know much.
Well, that's where it comes down to people's individual interpretations. To some, being above that .08 threshold is "drunk," no matter what. That's what my mom would certainly tell you.

To others, maybe more seasoned drinkers, we tend to look at it a little different. I look at it as sober, had a couple, buzzed, tipsy, drunk, browned-out, blacked-out, passed out. Maybe too many in my nomenclature, and anything past buzzed I'd consider a real issue for driving, but it's helpful for me to understand where someone is on the scale. Floyd was at the far end of my scale and I consider him reprehensible for what he did.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TJ

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There’s his punishment

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A fine will be handed down. Someone mentioned suspension but from doing what? Will it impact the teams preparations for opening day? Personally as long as it’s not a star player why would I care what happens to Keim personal life unless it jeopardizes the GM position.

Having said this I expect upwards of 20 pages of DUI definitions, innuendos and judgement positions. Why? It is the true dead space in a fans life where there is little team news to kick down the road. So on to the twentieth page already...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
my step father got a dui once...he was diabetic and his blood sugar was low...damned okie cops had him in the drunk tank almost dead for three days before they finally called a doctor. took another three years to get his .45 back.

lots of reasons for a dui...aint always about being drunk...

who knows,..guess it will all come out sooner or later

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my step father got a dui once...he was diabetic and his blood sugar was low...damned okie cops had him in the drunk tank almost dead for three days before they finally called a doctor. took another three years to get his .45 back.

lots of reasons for a dui...aint always about being drunk...

who knows,..guess it will all come out sooner or later
Reading his statement is obvious he did something, didnt give any justifications

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And shame on you Keim. You just endangered others around you, in your community, the people who support your business, and have made it exponentially more difficult for you to hold players accountable for similar actions.
It's going to make it difficult for him to hold others accountable.

No excuse for not calling a cab or Uber. He could have injured others as well as himself.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

No excuse for not calling a cab or Uber. He could have injured others as well as himself.
Why? He made a mistake. He owned up to it. There will be repercussions to his actions which he will have to deal with. Then move on with his life. Making mistakes is part of being human. Its how we deal with them that determines what type of human we are.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Reading his statement is obvious he did something, didnt give any justifications
I don’t think this is the time to give “justifications” or excuses to the media. Come out contrite and own your poor judgement. Make things right, show you’ve learned.

He’s pretty much shown to be a high character person in this organization until now.

I don’t think it’s hard to show others you are accountable if you have a lapse in judgement but make sure it doesn’t happen again. If anything, that speaks to relatability to me.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bullsh**** a DUI is a DUI POINT BLANK PERIOD!!

Where’s BIM telling the stories of friends getting killed because of drunk drivers? Usually first one to post. Now y’all are all quiet because he’s a GM? And a bad one at that. So much for DJ’s extension.

I didn't know Michael Floyd had an account here...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There’s his punishment

And that's the difference between this and Floyd. If Floyd had shown an ounce of regret or accountability he'd probably still be on the team.

That being said I'm very disappointed in SK. Totally unacceptable. Just dont drink and drive, it's really not that complicated a rule. But I do appreciate his apology that didn't involve playing the victim. We all make mistakes, glad his didn't cost anyone their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz