Gambo

Bob M

Reaction score
How many times does this blowhard Gambodoro from the flagship station have to be wrong before they finally fire his pompous butt?? He always thinks he is an insider but then circumstances prove he is an outsider. He was certain, he had a lock that the Suns were picking Donte DiVincenzo with the 16th pick. Well lo and behold his information was wrong, again. He once again looks like an uninformed chump.
Tired of his blather and inability to speak correct English. By the way Gambo you still add an -r to any word ending in -a. Also "saw" is not pronounced "sawr".

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How many times does this blowhard Gambodoro from the flagship station have to be wrong before they finally fire his pompous butt?? He always thinks he is an insider but then circumstances prove he is an outsider. He was certain, he had a lock that the Suns were picking Donte DiVincenzo with the 16th pick. Well lo and behold his information was wrong, again. He once again looks like an uninformed chump.
Tired of his blather and inability to speak correct English. By the way Gambo you still add an -r to any word ending in -a. Also "saw" is not pronounced "sawr".
Again, he was right about DiVicenzo until 30 seconds before the pick was made. So wrong thing to bash him on.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I enjoyed what Gambo was giving yesterday. And he was giving accurate info as it was happening. But things change on draft day. The alternative is a reporter who tells us what we already know after the fact.

Oh, and I could give you the reasons why a NY accents splits the consonants at the ending and then beginning of words. It provides smoother speech and is based on a UK accent. I do not speak that way, but I love studying colloquial speech and Gambos accent is legit English.

It's a local thing. For instance, do you pronounce Ayton like almost everyone else--"A un" with a hard glottal before the last syllable and not pronouncing the "t" at all? For many in this world you would be considered a rube for doing so. The English/Irish practice of lightly pronouncing the actual "t"s is so much more accurate and pleasing to the ear.

His use of colloquial expressions is not legit English, but it's hilarious.

Last edited:

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Meh. Win some lose some. Gambo is usually accurate in his reporting. There is a lot of moving pieces when dealing in the draft and at least he puts his neck out there to provide real time information the best he can at that exact moment.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some people excuse his misses while others don't like him. I'm not a big fan but I don't get why some are making excuses for him yesterday. Blame his sources or him for misunderstanding them but part of the problem is he didn't own up to making the mistake. Instead he tried deleting the info he incorrectly put out there while moving on like it never happened. That's not how things should be handled. The analogy someone made about him being like someone's kid brother who tries blurting out the punchline to a joke you're telling was spot on. He was doing that with the draft and it caused him to make a few big mistakes. He didn't own up to them, instead he had excuses for them like they weren't his fault but at the same time, if he wasn't trying to get info out 4 seconds before ESPN announced the pick, he wouldn't have made them. Does it really add to his credibility if he can say the pick before you can hear it on TV? No, it doesn't. It caused him to come off as smug and like I said, it caused him to push out incorrect information.

He should not be seen as the ultimate source for Suns news because ultimately, he's not. Name 1 story he's broken about the Suns that wasn't common knowledge or an educated guess in the last few years? It's tough to find anything but there isn't anything that exists. Since McD has been the Suns GM he's run a tight ship where leaks don't get out. All of the deals he's made haven't been rumored before they're officially announced. I don't believe anyone has even been able to name specific teams he's been working with either before deals come out of nowhere.

I doubt anyone who likes him will change their mind and that's fine but to not admit his shortcomings is ignoring reality. He messed up. Posters are explaining his mistakes because he didn't even have the professionalism to put out tweets or anything saying he screwed up. Instead he's twisted things around and tried blaming others for what he did wrong. If he owned up and apologized I think that would go a long ways in changing how people view him but that's not his style. His fans will handle the damage control for him, which seems odd to me.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He initially got the trade with PHI wrong, he initially said PHX had a deal with LAC right after 12th pick was announced. I thought PHX was going for Porter (that’s what Burns and other guy on radio were speculating). Turned out to be deal with PHI for Bridges.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He explained exactly what happened in both instances. He gave us the info as it was happening. He got the LAC pick wrong because he misread his text. He said so as soon as he figured out what happened. Listen. Gambo's takes could sit on the head of a particular poster here. But yesterday was fun.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the issue is KTAR (and himself) shills him as the ultimate insider when clearly he is not.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He actually has a great track record and has been doing this for years. A freaking tweet caused the hawks to not do a trade. Gambo was spot on. its social media that screws things up. Does he annoy and get some things wrong? Sure but for the most part he has great insight

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Part of the issue is KTAR (and himself) shills him as the ultimate insider when clearly he is not.

Is there such a thing as an "Ultimate Insider?" The problem, as you correctly pointed out, is that he and the station go to GREAT lengths to portray him as such. And yesterday he went all-in. He doubled-down on this fictitious mantra and ended up looking like a fool.
I mean, is there really any added value in a person screaming out "the pick" 1 to 3 mins before the pick is actually made? Does that make you an "Ultimate Insider?" Or any type of "insider?"
He would've been much smarter (that's a stretch for him I know...) had he prefaced all if his screaming and proclamations by saying, "based upon what I'm hearing, the pick is so & so." Or, "my sources are indicating the pick will be." Instead, he screamed and screamed "The pick IS Dante!" "I can say with 99% certainty that the pick here is..." He made it all about him. He forced the light on himself. When it would've been so much easier to keep the light on his "sources"...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I find Gambo right about the Suns most of the time. He muffed one but he is not afraid to stick his neck out like others have pointed out. I'm an avid follower of Scott Bordow but he usually waits for the news to break. He does excellent detailed analysis. However, Gambo will get Suns news out there before anyone else knows about it.

However, let me say this, I only go to Gambo for breaking Suns news. For other sports news I look elsewhere.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as an "Ultimate Insider?" The problem, as you correctly pointed out, is that he and the station go to GREAT lengths to portray him as such. And yesterday he went all-in. He doubled-down on this fictitious mantra and ended up looking like a fool.
I mean, is there really any added value in a person screaming out "the pick" 1 to 3 mins before the pick is actually made? Does that make you an "Ultimate Insider?" Or any type of "insider?"
He would've been much smarter (that's a stretch for him I know...) had he prefaced all if his screaming and proclamations by saying, "based upon what I'm hearing, the pick is so & so." Or, "my sources are indicating the pick will be." Instead, he screamed and screamed "The pick IS Dante!" "I can say with 99% certainty that the pick here is..." He made it all about him. He forced the light on himself. When it would've been so much easier to keep the light on his "sources"...

That's the issue, it was all about him until the mistakes started being made, then the sources came into play. He didn't mess up, they did.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Again, he was right about DiVicenzo until 30 seconds before the pick was made. So wrong thing to bash him on.

Yeah it’s not like he’s in the actual war room. If he’s told the pick and Philly calls back there’s nothing any insider can do at that point. The thing I have against Gambo is that embarrassing “scouting report” he got from a source regarding Doncic. He was trying to be so pro-Ayton that he got stupid with the Doncic slander.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What is this based on? What Gambo said to correct it right? Has anyone else actually reported this bs to be true?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What is this based on? What Gambo said to correct it right? Has anyone else actually reported this bs to be true?
It is true. Gambo reported it on Twitter. After he reported it, the trade went down. How is that hard to understand?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is true. Gambo reported it on Twitter. After he reported it, the trade went down. How is that hard to understand?

i think he was asking how do we know the Suns were going to pick Divencenzo. Was there ever confirmation of that from people inside the organization?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i think he was asking how do we know the Suns were going to pick Divencenzo. Was there ever confirmation of that from people inside the organization?
Not sure about that--I know I've heard it from more people that aren't Gambo... Whether that's true or not...

EDIT: I think somebody (McD?) said something about we were ready to pick someone very close to Mikal Bridges or some sort... Which a lot have interpreted to be Donte because they were teammates.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Not that I've seen... and in a post-draft interview, McD seemed luke-warm at best about Divencenzo...

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score

This has been going on for years and years....I remember going back to the 90's he would get stuff wrong all the time about the Cardinals and Suns claiming inside sources yada yada.. A new York accent gets you a long way on the radio...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He didn't name him, but McD said that "Bridges' teammate" was on the board or something like that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That said, Gambo is still a blowhard. Putting out there talks with the Clippers about a Beverley for Chriss trade...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn