Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

Reaction score

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To me guaranteed contracts are a slippery slope. On one hand, players do deserve some security for the risk they take but on the other say a guy signs a big extension with a big cap number and then goes down with a season or career ending injury. There needs to be some protection for both sides. Paying a guy $10M+ on IR sucks because he is getting paid for nothing. I think there should be injury insurance that kicks in on season ending injuries so that the team gets some sort of salary relief and insurance picks up say 50% - 60% of that year’s salary that way it helps a team use that money on a replacement if they don’t already have one.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s discounting CTE too much. The disproportionate percentage of football players who committed suicide points to it being factors other than just “doing it to themselves.”

The suicide rate, from what I've read, is no greater than in the general population.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand what the intent of contracts are if players demand new ones before that contract even ends.

So is a 4 year contract actually a 3 year contract? Is a 5 year contract actually a 4 year contract?

It doesn't work like this in any place other than the NFL. Even in the NBA, most players actually play out their contracts without missing mandatory team activities even before entering the last year of their contract.

And it certainly doesn't work like this away from sports in the real world.

It's simple really.

Rookie contracts today are unfair because they are now slotted. So a rookie player who lights up the NFL is forced to play on a sub par contract for at least 3 years.

David Johnson has played out the first 3 years of that slotted contract and is now eligible to negotiate a contract extension. He has every right to hold out for a new contract. He deserves a new contract. He is vastly underpaid.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me guaranteed contracts are a slippery slope. On one hand, players do deserve some security for the risk they take but on the other say a guy signs a big extension with a big cap number and then goes down with a season or career ending injury. There needs to be some protection for both sides. Paying a guy $10M+ on IR sucks because he is getting paid for nothing. I think there should be injury insurance that kicks in on season ending injuries so that the team gets some sort of salary relief and insurance picks up say 50% - 60% of that year’s salary that way it helps a team use that money on a replacement if they don’t already have one.

Guaranteed contracts under a CAP system works in the NHL

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Neither Cardinals nor David Johnson are wrong in contract impasse
TEMPE, Ariz. -- David Johnson and the Arizona Cardinals are at an impasse.

Johnson wants a new -- presumably large -- contract, but the Cardinals haven't given him one. At least not yet.

On Tuesday, Johnson made a bold move by sitting out the first day of Arizona's minicamp, a sign of how serious he's taking the ongoing negotiations. He's entering the final year of his four-year rookie contract, which he signed after getting drafted in the third round out of Northern Iowa in 2015. He's currently scheduled to earn $1.905 million this coming season but was eligible to renegotiate his contract after his third season.
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/po...r-david-johnson-are-wrong-in-contract-impasse

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
2016 stats DJ - 2,118 yds & 20TD's Bell - 1,884 yds & 9TD's

I would say DJ was better unless you prefer 9TD's over 20. Yes DJ was injured last year but that doesn't mean Bell is a better player.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/rushing.htm
How about the last three years? Does production count only every other year?

Bell is twice an All-Pro. He's been to the Pro Bowl three times. He's gone over 1300 yards rushing three times in 5 NFL seasons. And he's two months younger than David Johnson. Bell has 8 fumbles in 5 seasons. David Johnson has 11 in 2 1/16.

There's no world where David Johnson is as good or better than Le'Veon Bell.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Johnson doesn’t deserve Le’Veon Bell money. Bells been better for longer.

And Jimmy Garoppolo didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

And then Kirk Cousisn didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL

And then Matt Ryan didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

Le'Veon Bell is going to be the highest paid RB in the league at some point. If he signs before DJ then that is the number DJ's agent will use as a starting point. This is how the NFL works today.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And Jimmy Garoppolo didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

And then Kirk Cousisn didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL

And then Matt Ryan didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

Le'Veon Bell is going to be the highest paid RB in the league at some point. If he signs before DJ then that is the number DJ's agent will use as a starting point. This is how the NFL works today.

Then the Cards would justifiably laugh and say, "Well, we'll just tag you for two seasons and dump your body on the side of the road." And they'd be right to do so.

It's telling that you're looking at three quarterback contracts. Everyone knows it's a different market for QBs. Devonta Freeman signed last season for an APY $8.25 million. David Johnson hasn't done anything to justify a 20% pay increase over that. Freeman's the highest-paid RB in the NFL not on the franchise tag.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about the last three years? Does production count only every other year?

Bell is twice an All-Pro. He's been to the Pro Bowl three times. He's gone over 1300 yards rushing three times in 5 NFL seasons. And he's two months younger than David Johnson. Bell has 8 fumbles in 5 seasons. David Johnson has 11 in 2 1/16.

There's no world where David Johnson is as good or better than Le'Veon Bell.

Le'Veon Bell has never had more that 11 TDs in a season.

In the 2016 season David Johnson had 20 TDs. That's the same amount of TDs that Le'Veon Bell had in 2016 and 2017 combined.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Le'Veon Bell has never had more that 11 TDs in a season.

In the 2016 season David Johnson had 20 TDs. That's the same amount of TDs that Le'Veon Bell had in 2016 and 2017 combined.

So they've both had the same amount of TDs in the last 2 seasons?

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then the Cards would justifiably laugh and say, "Well, we'll just tag you for two seasons and dump your body on the side of the road." And they'd be right to do so.

It's telling that you're looking at three quarterback contracts. Everyone knows it's a different market for QBs. Devonta Freeman signed last season for an APY $8.25 million. David Johnson hasn't done anything to justify a 20% pay increase over that. Freeman's the highest-paid RB in the NFL not on the franchise tag.

Regarding the QB contracts, I was just showing how contracts in the NFL work. One guy signs the highest paid contract for their position until the next guy gets their piece of the pie.

In 2016 Freeman had 1079 rushing yards, 472 Receiving yards and 13 TDs.

In that same season David Johnson had 1239 rushing yards, 879 receiving yards and 20 TDs.

There, I just made a case for DJ to be paid more than Freeman.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In 2015 Le'Veon Bell only had 130 rushing yards and 3 TDs.

So he is not worth a new huge contract now I guess.
I mean, he didn't get a huge contract then, did he? They gave him the Franchise Tag after he went on IR in week 10.

Of course, he had 550 rushing yards before going on IR. On pace for another 1300-plus yard season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Regarding the QB contracts, I was just showing how contracts in the NFL work. One guy signs the highest paid contract for their position until the next guy gets their piece of the pie.

In 2016 Freeman had 1079 rushing yards, 472 Receiving yards and 13 TDs.

In that same season David Johnson had 1239 rushing yards, 879 receiving yards and 20 TDs.

There, I just made a case for DJ to be paid more than Freeman.

Antonio Brown is the highest paid WR in the NFL, and he signed in 2/17. That is two full contract cycles. DeAndre Hopkins is 3rd highest, and he signed in August 2017.

Tell me more.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, he didn't get a huge contract then, did he? They gave him the Franchise Tag after he went on IR in week 10.

Yeah maybe the Steelers were concerned about Bell being arrested with Blunt smoking a blunt in 2014. And maybe the fact that he got suspended again in July 2016 had something to do with that.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Antonio Brown is the highest paid WR in the NFL, and he signed in 2/17. That is two full contract cycles. DeAndre Hopkins is 3rd highest, and he signed in August 2017.

Tell me more.

Brown has 27.9% guaranteed in his new contract

Hopkins has 45.1% guaranteed in his new contract

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tell me more.

Nate Solder is now the highest paid tackle in the NFL.

So you are saying he is the best?

LOL

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool story bro.

Listen I get it, you like to stir the pot on this board.

But come on man, DJ is now a risk at RB because he had a wrist injury? LOL

DJ doesn't deserve more money than Freeman? Did you watch David Johnson during the Cardinals 2016 season?

This is epic trolling even by your standards.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Listen I get it, you like to stir the pot on this board.

But come on man, DJ is now a risk at RB because he had a wrist injury? LOL

DJ doesn't deserve more money than Freeman? Did you watch David Johnson during the Cardinals 2016 season?

This is epic trolling even by your standards.

I actually don't know. I didn't believe that Tryann Mathieu deserved a big contract extension when he got one, and I don't believe that David Johnson deserves one right now. Because DJ sucked in his one game before he got hurt — and the Lions defense ended up 28th in the NFL in rushing DVOA.

I said this last year: if the Cards were smart, they'd deal with the fallout of David Johnson having a tantrum, let him play out his deal and make him play 2 seasons under the franchise tag before casting him aside or letting him test the free market. Sorry you're a running back, bro. But we're in the business of winning super bowls.

Speaking of which, how did David Johnson do in those two playoff games? How does he compare to Bell when it matters most?