Free Agency 2018

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Even with his extra weight he lacks the quickness to play any other position but PF or Center. He doesn't really belong at either spot but he can't even pretend to play small forward or guard.

Or you saying he's a bit on the chubby side? Too many late night burritos?

He works as a stabilizer to slow things down and spread the floor. I agree 15 minutes is too much. Depends on what our active roster looks like come winter. I hope he mainly waves towels while our young core racks up the Ws.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Occasionally, if we're stuck with him. But throw him out there for 10-15 minutes?

That's like playing a quarter, which is a rotation player. 'No way flabby Dudley should be anything more than instant offense for a few minutes. And only if the bench rotation is not doing its job, which is how he was used this past season. At this stage of his career, he doesn't deserve a promotion.

That line I bolded from your post was completely fabricated by you. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to put words in my mouth because I didn't say anything like that. I don't think he should be a regular rotation player. I said he should only be used sparingly when the team is struggling to provide some offense. I certainly didn't say anything about being stuck with him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That line I bolded from your post was completely fabricated by you. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to put words in my mouth because I didn't say anything like that. I don't think he should be a regular rotation player. I said he should only be used sparingly when the team is struggling to provide some offense. I certainly didn't say anything about being stuck with him.
I don't get it, Poop Head. I quoted, "Throw him out there for 10-15 minutes", from your post. You did say it!

Then I opined that only rotation players should play 15-minute segments. That is a long stretch for an instant offense out-of-the-rotation almost-over-the-hill player. I question your saying that I 'fabricated' it because I countered your suggestion.

'Just the facts, man. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get it, Poop Head. I quoted, "Throw him out there for 10-15 minutes", from your post. You did say it!

Then I opined that only rotation players should play 15-minute segments. That is a long stretch for an instant offense out-of-the-rotation almost-over-the-hill player. I question your saying that I 'fabricated' it because I countered your suggestion.

'Just the facts, man. :)

If you're going to quote someone, do it correctly, don't try to paraphrase by adding your own nonsense into it. Did I say 10-15 minutes? Yes, but did I say the other nonsense you added? No. So don't try putting words in my mouth, pretty simple. Did I say "Occasionally, if we're stuck with him." ? No, I didn't but you felt the need to add that before what I said. Why? Because you were trying to put words in my mouth for some reason. Did I say that would make him a rotation player? No, I didn't. So again, don't try adding to what I actually said.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If you're going to quote someone, do it correctly, don't try to paraphrase by adding your own nonsense into it. Did I say 10-15 minutes? Yes, but did I say the other nonsense you added? No. So don't try putting words in my mouth, pretty simple. Did I say "Occasionally, if we're stuck with him." ? No, I didn't but you felt the need to add that before what I said. Why? Because you were trying to put words in my mouth for some reason. Did I say that would make him a rotation player? No, I didn't. So again, don't try adding to what I actually said.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, Poop Head. I quoted you, disagreed with playing him for 10-15 minute segments, then added my opinion.

Not playing him for 10-15 minute segments was my point, because I feel that would be too long for someone who is instant offense and, therefore, not a rotation player.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
We'll see but I think Ayton has more range than Gobert. Defensively they'd provide good size and could switch assignments easily. Of course Gobert is a better defender than Ayton but offensively I think Ayton has more of a polished game than Gobert with more options as to where you can play him. Maybe with a horns offensive set it could work. That's not ideal but it should allow each enough space. I'm a little surprised that you think it couldn't work with Ayton though.

You must be registered for see images attach

There is a reason Utah is moving on from Favors. He and Gobert just dont give them enough on either end to make it work. There are more issues that pop up playing together, than ones which are solved.

You want ayton yo develop with spacing around him. Favors kills all of that the moment he steps in the floor, not to mention with any other nonshooter.

I'm a big horns guy, but you dont want to see ayton and favors in that set over and over. Part of the reason teams have begun runnings wings and even guards at the elbows in those horns sets now, is to create mismatches and increase actions which open the floor because of the gravity of a shooter/dive man combination at the elbows.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier I would have interest in Will Barton as well.

I'm a big fan of Barton because hes versatile, is a solid passer, can shoot, rebound, wont kill you on defense, plus has length. I'd take him over the other two, but the Suns need someone who can score.

I wouldn't pay Hood, but he fits that category. Same with Favors. Problem is Hood had the green light in Utah and doesnt kn Cleveland. If he isn't hitting jumpers he doesn't do much else. That's a big pass from me, not my kind of guy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Barton because hes versatile, is a solid passer, can shoot, rebound, wont kill you on defense, plus has length. I'd take him over the other two, but the Suns need someone who can score.

I wouldn't pay Hood, but he fits that category. Same with Favors. Problem is Hood had the green light in Utah and doesnt kn Cleveland. If he isn't hitting jumpers he doesn't do much else. That's a big pass from me, not my kind of guy.

Seeing how much of a non-factor he's been in Cleveland worries me. They're a team that needs help scoring and in the backcourt but he either can't get playing time or do anything with the playing time he gets. I get playing with Lebron is an adjustment but it shouldn't make someone like Hood fall apart completely. Lebron and IT wasn't a good pairing but there isn't any sort of overlapping skills between Hood and Lebron that should keep him from being a positive player. Him laying an egg in Cleveland though could make him affordable but I'm not sure we need another wing like him. Barton can play some PG so he'd have a use beyond backup SG. Hood would be competing with Booker, Jackson, Warren, and Daniels for minutes. That doesn't warrant more than $2 million a year, I'd guess, and I doubt he's fallen that far around the league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We agree about Barton but I think Denver does everything they can to keep him.

Hood would be a nice addition if the price is right. I'm thinking his time in Utah is a better indicator of his skills. I like Hood but he would not be a primary target for me.

Maybe I have seen too much of Chriss and Bender at PF but I like what Favors could bring to the Suns playing alongside Ayton. I like that he can play the 4/5 so he can play center when the need arises. Also he immediately brings some toughness to the Suns front line. Favors immediately makes the Suns a better team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I have seen too much of Chriss and Bender at PF but I like what Favors could bring to the Suns playing alongside Ayton. I like that he can play the 4/5 so he can play center when the need arises. Also he immediately brings some toughness to the Suns front line. Favors immediately makes the Suns a better team.

I would have said I saw too much of Chriss while he was still at Washington. But Marquese and Dragan are only 20 years old so if the front office shares your view, our future is much less bright than many of us had hoped.

I think the worst thing we could do is stop developing them. They need minutes and drafting Ayton plus signing Favors will likely slow down or halt that growth.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
We agree about Barton but I think Denver does everything they can to keep him.

Hood would be a nice addition if the price is right. I'm thinking his time in Utah is a better indicator of his skills. I like Hood but he would not be a primary target for me.

Denver is going to be running into luxury tax issues if they bring back Barton. Not to mention, they are likely going to have to pony up for Jokic this summer or risk him hitting UFA next summer. They will be a team to keep an eye on, because they have to move Chandler and Faried if they want to keep Barton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver is going to be running into luxury tax issues if they bring back Barton. Not to mention, they are likely going to have to pony up for Jokic this summer or risk him hitting UFA next summer. They will be a team to keep an eye on, because they have to move Chandler and Faried if they want to keep Barton.

I agree about this. Faried would be a nice back-up PF.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have said I saw too much of Chriss while he was still at Washington. But Marquese and Dragan are only 20 years old so if the front office shares your view, our future is much less bright than many of us had hoped.

I think the worst thing we could do is stop developing them. They need minutes and drafting Ayton plus signing Favors will likely slow down or halt that growth.

This is where I want to hear Igor's opinion because he has watched Chriss and Bender from another team's perspective.

I'm fully supportive of developing both of them if the Suns keep them. However, I suspect they will not keep both from comments made by Scott Bordow some time back. I'm going from memory on this as I do not have a link.

We do agree, fans expect too much from young players. I'd be happy if the Suns primarily built the team from the draft since they acquired the #1 pick but I see the Suns making a significant move in trade or free agency. The Suns will have three pieces in Booker, Jackson and Ayton so I suspect the Suns will not be willing to wait any longer to move full speed ahead.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where I want to hear Igor's opinion because he has watched Chriss and Bender from another team's perspective.

I'm fully supportive of developing both of them if the Suns keep them. However, I suspect they will not keep both from comments made by Scott Bordow some time back. I'm going from memory on this as I do not have a link.

We do agree, fans expect too much from young players. I'd be happy if the Suns primarily built the team from the draft since they acquired the #1 pick but I see the Suns making a significant move in trade or free agency. The Suns will have three pieces in Booker, Jackson and Ayton so I suspect the Suns will not be willing to wait any longer to move full speed ahead.

I thought I heard that first from Gambo but regardless, I had heard it. IIRC, whoever said it also implied that Chriss would be the odd one out. But then he started playing better as he finally got into shape so maybe things have changed.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really believe Chriss and Bender can develop without starting or playing 30 minuets a game. If the Suns want to win now. Both players minuets have to be cut and a true starter needs to be added. I'm fine running both out their next year just don't expect wins to come easy. Maybe start both Warren and Jackson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I heard that first from Gambo but regardless, I had heard it. IIRC, whoever said it also implied that Chriss would be the odd one out. But then he started playing better as he finally got into shape so maybe things have changed.

It's shaky but I'm going back to my memory of what I think Bordow said. I only remember it because it did not make sense to me. IIRC he said the Suns would trade the better of the two players because he would have the most value in a trade.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It's shaky but I'm going back to my memory of what I think Bordow said. I only remember it because it did not make sense to me. IIRC he said the Suns would trade the better of the two players because he would have the most value in a trade.

That sounds more his opinion on the matter not something his source said...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds more his opinion on the matter not something his source said...

I think it is an opinion as well. However, I respect Bordow's opinions as they are educated.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Never been a fan of Chriss, dating back to his days at Washington. Cant shoot, wasnt good on the glass, doesnt play defense. That said, giving up on him now, with a new coaching staff, doesnt make sense to me unless he somehoe is bringing back value as a piece in a package. That seems unlikely, unless the Suns are moving up.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Never been a fan of Chriss, dating back to his days at Washington. Cant shoot, wasnt good on the glass, doesnt play defense. That said, giving up on him now, with a new coaching staff, doesnt make sense to me unless he somehoe is bringing back value as a piece in a package. That seems unlikely, unless the Suns are moving up.

Yeah right Chriss has no trade value so why deal him. His stock is at a low.

Unless we just want to make room...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah right Chriss has no trade value so why deal him. His stock is at a low.

Unless we just want to make room...
What about the concept of taking a stand, choosing one or the other (most opinions seem to be Bender) and ending the experiment of making them twins -- drafting them at the same time for the same position? So far, it hasn't produced any good results.

I suggest it comes down to two choices -- but not the ones the Suns have been pursuing.

Either choose one over the other at this time ... or decide that neither of them has shown that they can be the Power Forward to help take us to the next level.

Think about it. If a guy happened to meet two girls, either of whom could become his life mate, would anyone gain if he juggles them indefinitely? I don't think so.

It's time for the Suns to **** or get off the pot and make a damn decision. For their good and for the good of the players. Image is part of a team growing and indecision hurts image.

My personal opinion is move both of them and pursue a starting Power Forward who has shown more than being a disappointment. Even though the Suns, in their infinite wisdom, were mainly to blame instead of making an initial choice and instilling the confidence to help it work out.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What about the concept of taking a stand, choosing one or the other (most opinions seem to be Bender) and ending the experiment of making them twins -- drafting them at the same time for the same position? So far, it hasn't produced any good results.

I suggest it comes down to two choices -- but not the ones the Suns have been pursuing.

Either choose one over the other at this time ... or decide that neither of them has shown that they can be the Power Forward to help take us to the next level.

Think about it. If a guy happened to meet two girls, either of whom could become his life mate, would anyone gain if he juggles them indefinitely? I don't think so.

It's time for the Suns to **** or get off the pot and make a damn decision. For their good and for the good of the players. Image is part of a team growing and indecision hurts image.

My personal opinion is move both of them and pursue a starting Power Forward who has shown more than being a disappointment. Even though the Suns, in their infinite wisdom, were mainly to blame instead of making an initial choice and instilling the confidence to help it work out.

I don't think it hurts to give them (Chriss & Bender) another year. This is a transition year with new coach and impact player (Ayton). That could change a few variables.