2018 1st round pick is Josh Rosen

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think he's smarter than they are but I think Mayfield has the highest football IQ. Maybe it's a function of the system they played at OU and all the good WR's he got to throw to there but if you tried to blitz him in college he ate you up. He was very good at reading the blitz and finding the open guy.

Josh as a sophomore looked very confused in UCLA's new offense, they actually tweaked it during the season to help. To be fair the OL was horrible and they couldn't run the ball so it wasn't an easy offense to be the QB.
point of note. apparently Rosen had a different offensive coordinator every year at ucla so he had to learn a new offense every year.

he might blossom if he gets to stay in the same system a few years

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He's pissed off. 9 teams made a mistake. Was thinking he was going to have to fake a smile because he slighted. After he was picked that all went away and he's excited
Who has a problem with those comments? I love it. I'm tired of the awe shucks players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not in the same division, but I bet Davis just didn't want Rosen going to Miami...Old AFL rivalries die hard.

niners took his pick and he knew he could move back and get his second choice while adding picks

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Best one...
You must be registered for see images attach

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals did great considering the situation. We were drafting at 15 and really needed a QB. The choices were to either mortgage the future and move up to get one of the top 3 QB's, wait and hope someone fell to us (that hasn't worked out so well lately), or hope someone falls a bit and then trade up without having to give up another 1st or a 2nd round pick. Also could have waited until the 2nd round but I think a majority on this board would have had a meltdown if we did that. If we needed a QB, and we did, this is about as good as we could have done drafting with the 15th pick.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's pissed off he was the 4th QB taken, after he wasdnt drafted by 3, "it was all a blur because i was mad" "There were nine mistakes ahead of me, and i'll prove that over the next decade”
Nothing wrong with that

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals did great considering the situation. We were drafting at 15 and really needed a QB. The choices were to either mortgage the future and move up to get one of the top 3 QB's, wait and hope someone fell to us (that hasn't worked out so well lately), or hope someone falls a bit and then trade up without having to give up another 1st or a 2nd round pick. Also could have waited until the 2nd round but I think a majority on this board would have had a meltdown if we did that. If we needed a QB, and we did, this is about as good as we could have done drafting with the 15th pick.

Even though I don't think Rosen is the future, I do believe that if the Cards think that he is, they did a pretty good job getting him at 10 and still having a pick to go after Kirk in the second to give him a weapon.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Honestly I kinda wish these kids would have some perspective. You were drafted in the top 10 of the NFL draft. That shouldn’t be considered a slight. I like that he has a chip on his shoulder but I can’t ever recall a top 10 pick having that kind attitude. Sliding to 25, I get. Too 10 pick? Eh color me a little discomforted by his words when he should have been celebrating imo.

Reaction score
Real good piece on Rosen:

http://www.nfl.com/labs/cfb247/josh-rosen/josh-rosen.html

I haven't been a Rosen fan, not in the least, but if the Cardinals are happy with the selection, and they are - (you can find the war room video of the pick on the Cardinals web site - Mike B. has a big ol' grin), then I can be happy about it also.

At least until it turns sour! Which, I'm hoping it never does.

One thing everyone seems to agree upon is that Rosen is the best pure passer in this years draft. . .

Last edited:

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Real good piece on Rosen:

http://www.nfl.com/labs/cfb247/josh-rosen/josh-rosen.html

I haven't been a Rosen fan, not in the least, but if the Cardinals are happy with the selection, and they are - (you can find the war room video of the pick on the Cardinals web site - Mike B. has a big ol' grin), then I can be happy about it also.

At least until it turns sour! Which, I'm hoping it never does.

One thing everyone seems to agree upon is that Rosen is the best pure passer in this years draft. . .

That article was great, really good. And then, the video at the end with him and Aaron Rodgers; the questions he's asking, the "why", really puts things into perspective...he is super intelligent and is leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of other QBs, in my non intelligent eyes at least.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"All I wanted to do was basically get on a plane right then and go straight to Arizona and start working. It was definitely a surprise when I got that phone call in terms of the emotions I was feeling. But I think everything happens for a reason."

General manager Steve Keim said he did "quite a bit of work" on Rosen, who said his visit with the Cardinals was "just like any other visit." He didn't leave Arizona feeling like the Cardinals would certainly draft him, but he didn't leave sensing they'd pass if given the opportunity.

"Today was an indication of how we felt about Josh Rosen," said Keim, who scouted Rosen twice in person.

Keim believes Rosen is "one of the most mechanically sound quarterbacks to come out in some time" and called him "arguably the most intelligent" player in this year's draft.

New coach Steve Wilks said Rosen did a "great job" with offensive coordinator Mike McCoy at the board during his visit and added the team was impressed with Rosen's "command of the room."

So why did Rosen drop from a potential top-three pick to the bottom of the top 10?

"I don't know and I don't care," Rosen said. "It's behind me. I'm an Arizona Cardinal now and I hope I will be for many, many years."

As of now, Arizona's starter is Bradford, according to Wilks. But Wilks also didn't commit to Bradford in Week 1, instead saying that the best 11 players will be on the field.

"If I'm not (the starter), I'm going to support the team," Rosen said. "I'm not Team Josh Rosen playing on the Arizona Cardinals. I'm part of the Arizona Cardinals and I want to win Super Bowls for the Arizona Cardinals, and I think over time, that'll happen."

"Maybe if I shut up these last three years, I could've been picked higher but I don't want that," he said. "I want to be me. The Arizona Cardinals know what they're getting. They're not going to get a kid that's going to say stupid things and piss people off unnecessarily. They're going to get a kid that everyone knows who they're getting every single day that I walk in the building."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/s...h-pick-says-there-were-nine-mistakes-ahead-me

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“I was pissed off the second I got passed on at 1, 2 and 3,” Rosen said.

The emotions boiled as other players went before him. After the 49ers chose offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey with the No. 9 overall pick, Rosen received a reassuring text. It was Green Bay superstar Aaron Rodgers -- another honest, talented quarterback who dealt with a draft drop, much longer than Rosen’s -- imploring Rosen to keep his cool.

“Aaron literally texted me right before the pick,” Rosen said. “He said, ‘Hold on, brother.’ I told him I got him.”

Rosen is expected to wear No. 3 with the Cardinals, which is the number of quarterbacks chosen before him in the draft. He is different from other NFL players, willing to wear his emotions on his sleeve.

“Now I can say what I really want to say,” Rosen said. “The last three years have been too controlled.”

Despite the initial disappointment, Rosen is excited about the situation he will be joining. He showed an impressive recall of the Cardinals’ personnel despite joining the team within the hour.

“I think they’re seriously underrated,” Rosen said. “They have an unbelievable running back (David Johnson) who got hurt all last year. People forgot his name for some reason. They’ve got a veteran quarterback (Sam Bradford) who I’m really excited to get in a competition with. They’ve got one of the best receivers (Larry Fitzgerald) to ever play the game. A solid defense. I think it’s a really, really good situation.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...sh-Rosen/c7c60c98-b54b-4158-9ce1-2ba22fe32f3f

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If he was the consensus #2, than why didn't he go #2?

Because he wasn't the consensus #2 that's why.
Because the consensus among pundits isn't the same as the consensus among NFL GM's. And because there doesn't have to be a consensus for a player to go at any particular spot. Just one GM that likes him. By your logic, Mayfield was a consensus #1 because he was drafted #1 and we all know that's not the case.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
he's pissed off he was the 4th QB taken, after he wasdnt drafted by 3, "it was all a blur because i was mad" "There were nine mistakes ahead of me, and i'll prove that over the next decade”
First, I thought the knock on him was that he wasn't passionate about football or motivated to play? Sure doesn't sound like it.

Second, ever since Peyton Manning famously said the same thing that sort of attitude has been romanticized by players and fans so I wouldn't put too much stock in Rosen saying it. Not as afar as it being an attitude problem.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
point of note. apparently Rosen had a different offensive coordinator every year at ucla so he had to learn a new offense every year.

he might blossom if he gets to stay in the same system a few years

Yeah and the offenses were radically different every year. They changed the offense midseason his soph year. So he really ran 4 different offenses in 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard