Spurs

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The end of the article isn't doing itself any justice. The picture of Mata was clear. He was offside and VAR did its job.

Exactly.

The problem I have from the article when discussing throw ins is that those are cherry picked stats that are manipulated to favour VAR.

No one would consider a throw in as an unnecessary stoppage that is a time waste. They would be better served to use a more realistic comparison that fits the topic.

I’m not against all Review just against wasted time when it has no value added which is what I saw in the last match for longer stretches than a simple throw in. if that is a preview of what is to come there are a lot of problems and every supporter of every team will eventually continue the process of being let down by a referee decision.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
My issue with VAR is the same with NFL replay -- is the purpose to identify and correct obvious missed calls, or is the purpose to re-officiate plays? NFL instant replay was created with the "indisputable video evidence" threshold, but it has very much turned into trying to re-officiate and try to perfect the call (especially with the new head of officials this year). I think the purpose of replay should be to correct obvious missed calls. From what I have seen, VAR in soccer is very much trying to re-officiate the call. If a guy is two body lengths offside, that should be quickly identified and over-turned, if we are analyzing whether a toe or kneecap is offside for 10 minutes, I don't think that's an effective use of instant replay.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue with VAR is the same with NFL replay -- is the purpose to identify and correct obvious missed calls, or is the purpose to re-officiate plays? NFL instant replay was created with the "indisputable video evidence" threshold, but it has very much turned into trying to re-officiate and try to perfect the call (especially with the new head of officials this year). I think the purpose of replay should be to correct obvious missed calls. From what I have seen, VAR in soccer is very much trying to re-officiate the call. If a guy is two body lengths offside, that should be quickly identified and over-turned, if we are analyzing whether a toe or kneecap is offside for 10 minutes, I don't think that's an effective use of instant replay.

They could easily implement a rule that says if they cannot decide after 90 seconds if someone is offside, then leave it called as is.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This is exactly one of my concerns with it. There is no perfect call when you are splitting hair. I go back to the Rochdale spurs match at Wembley. The game was being officiated from somewhere else. Maybe the snow storm was too cold for the guy.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Spurs will be Spurs.
Spurs are fun to watch but for all of their creativity they lack the finish. They often get punished for not making good on their chances. Son was brilliant but who aside he and Kane are ever scoring goals? Trippier made a fatal mistake playing the offside trap. In the other competitions it’s the same. They don’t score enough. If they don’t make good on the FA Cup it is going to be a bitter year in spite of their status with their London rivals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Massive test today for spurs at Swansea. No Kane or alli.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Deli brace and Kane is back. Great day for spurs. RIP conte

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
big match tonight for spurs. if they want to be considered amongst the best they have to win this one.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I guess they aren't amongst the best.
Man united, city, and juventus. All schooled spurs on being clinical in scoring goals. Chelsea did it last year. Spurs play an open style that is great to watch but they don’t always score goals.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Spurs rework Poch's contract and are also rumored to want Pulisic(with of corse Liverpool and others)...although I do not think he is leaving Dortmund yet.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs rework Poch's contract and are also rumored to want Pulisic(with of corse Liverpool and others)...although I do not think he is leaving Dortmund yet.

Neither do I. He won't get the playing time in the top 4 or even 6 that he gets in Dortmund. I really want him though. Shame.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Neither do I. He won't get the playing time in the top 4 or even 6 that he gets in Dortmund. I really want him though. Shame.
no doubt. I would love to see him in England on any team. the top 6 would be very difficult and he would not feature in the same manner at the moment which is why I think he should stay in Germany until he is more clinical with both feet. once he makes that transition he will be a star wherever he goes. I watched him at Wembley vs. Spurs last year. (albeit with rose colored glasses) he was probably Dortmund's best attacking player that day. He just struggles to find that final ball in the attacking end at times. he definitely had spurs fans talking about him though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Newcastle will be facing Spurs at the best possible time--first game of the season. Tons of players will be out after reporting late after the WC. Not saying the Mags will get a result, but they'll have a decent shot.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Newcastle will be facing Spurs at the best possible time--first game of the season. Tons of players will be out after reporting late after the WC. Not saying the Mags will get a result, but they'll have a decent shot.
true going to watch in the morning. recorded the man united/Leicester match tonight, but already saw the score

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Pochettino was right. before the game he said they would crash. spurs deserve 0 points today. they lacked aggression in the final 3rd and lost in the only fashion that Watford could beat them. Other than Eriksen I don't think anyone put anything on target. first spurs goal was lucky, Lucas was not even shooting, and Kane missed the easiest chance of the game, but I'd say they would have been fortunate to get a point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Watford looking like this year's Burnley.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Watford look good. and then Cardiff as well pushing Arsenal to the brink. just looking around Liverpool struggled, and city struggled, but they got the 3 points. this is going to be a fun season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Watford look good. and then Cardiff as well pushing Arsenal to the brink. just looking around Liverpool struggled, and city struggled, but they got the 3 points. this is going to be a fun season.

It'll be a wild ride, for sure. Thankfully a lot of tough games are behind Newcastle, and I think they'll play much more positive for a while. Arsenal have goal scoring ability, but they haven't in the least bit fixed their defensive frailties. Newcastle didn't even allow Cardiff a shot on goal, and Arsenal shipped 2.

Watford, man...wow! Insane.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I have to say for the PSV match... the disallowed goal against spurs was harsh! no such break given to lloris on the red card.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave