Recruiting

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Wonder what the story is on the kid. Article says he could be top RB in state and there was talk with UCLA and LSU...... But ASU was in the mix with Southern Miss and LA Tech as the final 3

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wonder what the story is on the kid. Article says he could be top RB in state and there was talk with UCLA and LSU...... But ASU was in the mix with Southern Miss and LA Tech as the final 3
Yeah there’s an untold story there . . .

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
3 star recruit, with some injuries in the fall.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah there’s an untold story there . . .

Because it is impossible to believe Herm simply flipped him to ASU?

Maybe there is a story but are we going to devolve into the whole every negative thing is on Herm but every positive thing has some hidden story to discredit the idea that Herm wad doing his job and possibly doing it well?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because it is impossible to believe Herm simply flipped him to ASU?

Maybe there is a story but are we going to devolve into the whole every negative thing is on Herm but every positive thing has some hidden story to discredit the idea that Herm wad doing his job and possibly doing it well?

Uh, this isn’t about Herm at all. I never said anything about Herm. But when a player goes from being recruited by LSU and UCLA to SoMiss and Louisiana Tech you don’t think there’s a reason? Cmon, that’s just putting your head in the sand.

I’m not denigrating the signing. Just curious what happened to change his recruitment so dramatically.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Pretty cool. I happened to be at their game against Desert Edge last Friday. I really don't follow prep so I had no idea to watch for this kid

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just read that former Steeler Ryan Clark's son committed to ASU. And today, Chad Johnson, Jr (Ocho Cinco's son) committed to the Devils as well... Don't know anything about these kids in terms of the abilities, but, in terms of what this means for Herm and the program with respect to recruiting, it can only help the cause as more kids will take note that higher profile parents see the program as the place they want their sons to play!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read that former Steeler Ryan Clark's son committed to ASU. And today, Chad Johnson, Jr (Ocho Cinco's son) committed to the Devils as well... Don't know anything about these kids in terms of the abilities, but, in terms of what this means for Herm and the program with respect to recruiting, it can only help the cause as more kids will take note that higher profile parents see the program as the place they want their sons to play!

It's good to hear.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am starting to see Herm for the guy he is. I just read an article on AZ Central where on Sundays, Herm runs a 40 minute work out with his scout team and walk ons. He doesn't coach, he lets his grad assistants run and coach. He is trying to develop guys not just win on Saturdays. This system helps these kids get a jump in development that kids at other schools don't get, they get actual repetition time instead of just holding play cards and watching film, this workout focuses on them learning the offensive and defensive system. This also helps as a recruiting tool, as kids know they are just going to be standing on the sidelines all week waiting for their turn, former pro players know Herm and that's why I feel a lot of their kids are interested in Edward's recruiting pitch.

Recruiting in AZ isn't going to be easy for ASU or UA because now a days you aren't just dealing with Pac-12 powerhouses, the blue bloods like Alabama, Ohio State, Texas & Oklahoma are dipping into ARZ because these kids are getting national attention from scouting services. So how do you compete with that, you develop the guys you get even if they aren't the stud 4 or 5 star guys.

I also think that Herm is a loyalty man, not just of how he became the HC at ASU (connection with Anderson) but because he stuck with Manny Wilkins and let guys like White & Barnett seek opportunities elsewhere because Manny was going to be his QB because he's put in his time here. Of course it may look to be a bad decision on paper as White & Barnett are doing well starting with their current teams but his decision to me served two purposes:
1. White and Barnett were not his guys and he is bringing in 2 good QB prospects next year to replace Wilkins
2) I am pretty sure most of the guys in the locker room were happy to see Manny as the starting QB and showed them that Herm is a stand up guy.

Its going to take 2 to 3 years for Herm to develop his football culture here, I think ASU is actually in good shape especially since ASU is not going to be able to land a big time coach unless they get canned ala Kevin Sumlin. If her can get the kids who are going to buy into his system and are willing to put in the time and effort to develop their skills then I see ASU winning 8 to 10 games a year eventually.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, I will give Herm credit for one thing - so far, his recruiting seems to be on point. As for sticking with Manny, I'm not as enthusiastic about that.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I will give Herm credit for one thing - so far, his recruiting seems to be on point. As for sticking with Manny, I'm not as enthusiastic about that.

Manny got benefit of doubt in spring ball. Barnett and White, in the eyes of the coaches, couldn't winthe job. Both guys are having success at non Power 5 schools. Big deal. Neither guy will play on Sundays...same as Manny. This year is a transition year.

I am not giving Herm a free pass on the QB situation this season but I am also not vilifying him for it either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose