2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish the NBA had a 20 year old age limit, requiring 2 years in college. The difference it would make to the draft and the rookie crop would be interesting. It seems like 4 year college players are looked down on now, with everyone primarily looking at 1 and done prospects. I doubt we'll see the age limit increased any time soon though.

They are working on making the D-League/G-League more of a farm system though. If only there wasn't a negative stigma associated with sending high draft picks down to the G-League for a while that could help a lot of players, like Bender and maybe Chriss. That might just break Chriss completely though, his attitude has been awful and a D-League assignment would probably cause him to request a trade. Bender seems like the sort of guy who would accept it and thrive down there though. He seems willing and able to learn as much as he can, applying it to his own game is different but that's where I think an assignment for a few weeks would help. It would also clear up time while we wait for Chandler or Monroe to be dealt since Monroe can play the 4 that would free up enough time we could see Len, Chandler, and Monroe in the same game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish the NBA had a 20 year old age limit, requiring 2 years in college. The difference it would make to the draft and the rookie crop would be interesting. It seems like 4 year college players are looked down on now, with everyone primarily looking at 1 and done prospects. I doubt we'll see the age limit increased any time soon though.

They are working on making the D-League/G-League more of a farm system though. If only there wasn't a negative stigma associated with sending high draft picks down to the G-League for a while that could help a lot of players, like Bender and maybe Chriss. That might just break Chriss completely though, his attitude has been awful and a D-League assignment would probably cause him to request a trade. Bender seems like the sort of guy who would accept it and thrive down there though. He seems willing and able to learn as much as he can, applying it to his own game is different but that's where I think an assignment for a few weeks would help. It would also clear up time while we wait for Chandler or Monroe to be dealt since Monroe can play the 4 that would free up enough time we could see Len, Chandler, and Monroe in the same game.
I think the solution is pretty easy. Establish the 20 year old age limit, but allow under 20 in the g-league. That way players can choose. At 19 they can stay in school, or come out and go to the g-league and get paid. The would allow teams to spend a year on development without a stigma, or players could focus on more education.

I think everyone would win.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As of right now I think Bagley is the clear cut #1 overall pick because if his offensive game and motor. I hope PHX can land him. Ayton should be more of a defensive force but hasn't been a rim protector which is a red flag because he has the size and skill to be very good defensively, David Robinson comparisons are way off. Bamba to me is a young Tyson Chandler who is a rim protector and will provide rebounding but his offense is limited to put backs, lobs and shots around the basket.

My ideal draft if we end up with 3 picks would be:
Bagley
Young
McCoy
Trier (in second round - I think his lack of defense will cause him to slide)

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike Schmitz
@Mike_Schmitz

Strong line for Boise State's Chandler Hutchison in an impressive road win over Oregon despite 6-for-16 shooting. Finished with 20 PTS, 10 REBS, 3 AST, and 9 fouls drawn. Dynamic straight-line slasher with super long strides in transition. Fan of his tools + talent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draft Doncic. Sign Cousins. Rebuild finished.

Cousins is such a weird one. Watched them last night against the Warriors, he was getting into it with Warrior players the entire game. he kept hitting guys with his off hand, Jordan Bell got so tired of it he took one to the mouth and just fell back like George Foreman hit him and fooled the ref who called the foul on Cousins.

After that the stuff got worse until finally Cousins and Durant got ejected for yelling at each other. I know he's been on bad teams but he's put up huge numbers on losing teams, at a certain point you start to wonder can he just not play on a winning team or is just waiting to get on a good team and prove he can still play well?

He's such a skilled player but his inability to contain his temper has always been an issue, you just wonder if he is ever on a playoff team how he'll handle it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I watch Ayton play the harder it is for me to make up my mind. he's a terrific offensive player, he's a terrible defender for how big he is, doesn't block nearly as many shots as he should. Nearly cost UA the game today with an incredibly dumb foul, clearly Miller told them to foul so A&M couldn't hit a tying 3, they set a screen with Ayton's man, he hedged the screen came off and grabbed the kid right as he's going into his shooting motion and then looked over at the bench with his hands up like he didn't understand that if the kid is shooting when you foul him it's a shooting foul and 3 shots.

He's a great athlete and I'm sure the defense will improve with age. Neither he nor Ristic could guard Tyler Davis tonight, he can't jump a lick but Davis ate them both up.

Very disappointing game from Robert Williams, total non factor.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I watch Ayton play the harder it is for me to make up my mind. he's a terrific offensive player, he's a terrible defender for how big he is, doesn't block nearly as many shots as he should. Nearly cost UA the game today with an incredibly dumb foul, clearly Miller told them to foul so A&M couldn't hit a tying 3, they set a screen with Ayton's man, he hedged the screen came off and grabbed the kid right as he's going into his shooting motion and then looked over at the bench with his hands up like he didn't understand that if the kid is shooting when you foul him it's a shooting foul and 3 shots.

He's a great athlete and I'm sure the defense will improve with age. Neither he nor Ristic could guard Tyler Davis tonight, he can't jump a lick but Davis ate them both up.

Very disappointing game from Robert Williams, total non factor.

Ayton is "L-A-Z-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you lazy, huh huh, you lazy."

Maybe an NBA coach will help that, but I don't see it changing in college.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was the book on him coming in, he plays hard on offense, he rebounds, but on defense he just seems disinterested.

With the age of his face he's sort of the reverse Greg Oden, Oden great defender mediocre on offense. I hope his career doesn't go the way Oden's did he certainly isn't having any health issues yet but when you see closeups of Ayton's face he looks 10 years older than he is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’ve been keying on defense and I’m not so certain it’s laziness (which it could be) or cluelessness. He seems confused to me. It’s possible that he never had to concentrate on defense before and didn’t receive coaching because of his vast physical superiority. But it’s definitley lacking.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve been keying on defense and I’m not so certain it’s laziness (which it could be) or cluelessness. He seems confused to me. It’s possible that he never had to concentrate on defense before and didn’t receive coaching because of his vast physical superiority. But it’s definitley lacking.

The reason I personally went to laziness was watching him in transition. Granted I've only seen him in one game, but the effort to get down the floor and the effort to get position once you got there seemed really lacking at times. I saw this on offense as we as defense. Maybe it is a lack of understanding the game that leads to hesitancy though. Maybe it was just this one game. Maybe it's just I'm not an expert.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If Mo Bamba can defend and rebound, sign me up.

That's where I am too. It is much easier to find scorers than it is to find defenders, especially at that size. Suns have an elite scorer in Booker, very good scorer in Warren, Jackson and Bender will get to double-digits before they are 22 or 23, Ulis and Williams are good scorers off the bench, Daniels can score, and Reed should be able to score some as well. Add some shooters and a play maker with the remaining picks or trades/ free agency.

EDIT:
I would also be OK with Doncic. He and Booker would be a very intriguing duo offensively. That does mean that Jackson would need to guard the opposing point guards on many nights, and the Suns would really need some serious interior defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's where I am too. It is much easier to find scorers than it is to find defenders, especially at that size. Suns have an elite scorer in Booker, very good scorer in Warren, Jackson and Bender will get to double-digits before they are 22 or 23, Ulis and Williams are good scorers off the bench, Daniels can score, and Reed should be able to score some as well. Add some shooters and a play maker with the remaining picks or trades/ free agency.

Mo Bamba might be an improved version of Rudy Gobert. :shock:

EDIT:
I would also be OK with Doncic. He and Booker would be a very intriguing duo offensively. That does mean that Jackson would need to guard the opposing point guards on many nights, and the Suns would really need some serious interior defense.

I'd be okay with Doncic as well but I would prefer a big man if he is BPA. Really, the most important thing is the Suns to hit with their draft picks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My concern about Doncic would be if he has to play the two or three only to thrive. But if he is a truly generational talent, you have to take him.

You don't pass on Michael Jordan just because you already have Clyde Drexler on your roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard