Dunkirk

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If it wasn't for some writer stupidity, this would have been the modern Saving Private Ryan. Some reviewer kind of insensitively described that they got PTDS just from watching it. Absolutely loved a lot about this, but it ended up merely good, and certainly not great.

Apparently, because the audience needs to realize "It's all going to be okay" for certain story lines, we need to get some kind of confusing, convoluted, and altogether idiotic timeline. This was a MASSIVE mistake. The sparse script, crisp action sequences, bleak turns, death, hopelessness, eventual Herculean efforts leading to success, all were effing incredible. The time switches? Completely opposite. So, it was good, but fell well short of greatness. [\spoiler]

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't for some writer stupidity, this would have been the modern Saving Private Ryan. Some reviewer kind of insensitively described that they got PTDS just from watching it. Absolutely loved a lot about this, but it ended up merely good, and certainly not great.

Apparently, because the audience needs to realize "It's all going to be okay" for certain story lines, we need to get some kind of confusing, convoluted, and altogether idiotic timeline. This was a MASSIVE mistake. The sparse script, crisp action sequences, bleak turns, death, hopelessness, eventual Herculean efforts leading to success, all were effing incredible. The time switches? Completely opposite. So, it was good, but fell well short of greatness. [\spoiler]

I had no problem with your spoiler at all.

The movie was fantastic. Front runner for best picture at this point.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

This is why I am glad I am not in the industry. I can go see a film, decide if I like (solely on entertainment value) and enjoy it without tearing it apart because of the above spoiler. Movies are entertainment for me, not a chance to tell them what they should have done. In this case I was not so much entertained, but felt the anguish the soldiers went though. Perhaps you are right, but it is OK in our world, and we pay for the movies that help all of you. I get it, you don't like..., or someone else says not enough women or minorities in leadership roles. OMG, have theses people ever read a history book? If so, why do they want to rewrite it? No character development, therefore their deaths did not affect as they could have. Good God, there were almost 400,000 souls out there, they were ALL equally important. this is not about their deaths affecting you. This is not about advancing 3 actors' careers. It is about what over a third of a million soldiers went through. It is a great piece of history that was told very well and showed the perspective of the front line soldiers. Perfect, no. But exposing a great piece of history, yes.

AZ Native

Reaction score
P.S. over 50 characters typing on my phone makes me immune to criticism.

My Father was a WW2 vet. His character was not fully developed, but he mattered as much as anyone.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
This is why I am glad I am not in the industry. I can go see a film, decide if I like (solely on entertainment value) and enjoy it without tearing it apart because of the above spoiler. Movies are entertainment for me, not a chance to tell them what they should have done. In this case I was not so much entertained, but felt the anguish the soldiers went though. Perhaps you are right, but it is OK in our world, and we pay for the movies that help all of you. I get it, you don't like..., or someone else says not enough women or minorities in leadership roles. OMG, have theses people ever read a history book? If so, why do they want to rewrite it? No character development, therefore their deaths did not affect as they could have. Good God, there were almost 400,000 souls out there, they were ALL equally important. this is not about their deaths affecting you. This is not about advancing 3 actors' careers. It is about what over a third of a million soldiers went through. It is a great piece of history that was told very well and showed the perspective of the front line soldiers. Perfect, no. But exposing a great piece of history, yes.

What the actual eff are you babbling about? I didn't like the timeline. I don't work in the industry, so you don't pay for jack for me. What the hell do women or minorities or the 3 actors' careers have to do with that? You went off the deep end here, dude. Put down the reefer lol

As for the others, agree to disagree. Cheese, if not for my quibble, I would have felt the same way. Everything else was masterfully done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why does being in the industry prevent people from enjoying a movie? Cheese enjoyed it enough and he's in the industry. I'm in the industry. I know people think we are snobs for the simple reason we work in it. But if your a plumber do we fault you for making a diagnosis that I might disagree with?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does being in the industry prevent people from enjoying a movie? Cheese enjoyed it enough and he's in the industry. I'm in the industry. I know people think we are snobs for the simple reason we work in it. But if your a plumber do we fault you for making a diagnosis that I might disagree with?

I can definitely be a snob and sometimes my profession takes away from my movie going experience because I see things a lot of people don't story wise. That's why when I see something GREAT, I am elated. I've also come to realize that in the past, I was too much of a snob. The villain was pretty obvious to me early on in WW, but I didn't let it bother me like I would have in the past because of how much I loved the character and story. The 3rd act twist in Spidey Homecoming really took me out of the movie for a moment, but it led to a couple of GREAT scenes and I got over it super fast.

Reality is... making GREAT content is REALLY DAMN HARD. I've been writing the same pilot now for about 7 months. Never poured myself into a 60 page script like this one and every time I think I'm done, I realize there's another level to get to. And even then, when it's finished, people STILL might not like it.

I don't know what I'm saying here in general, but doing this stuff for a living ain't easy.

Between Dunkirk, War For Apes, WW and to a lesser extent Spidey and Baby Driver, this has been the best summer for movies I can remember in a really long time. Three bona-fide classics, two really solid movies and two of the movies ARE EVEN ORIGINALS!

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Just saw it, and really liked it. Certainly unconventional in a lot of aspects, but it was tense the entire time and kept you on your toes...plus the score and pace kept you very engaged.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Stout, I think you may be overreacting. I read your post as though you stating it would have been a great movie if not for the timeline issue. I thought that was a little harsh, knocking it from great to good for one thing. That was just my opinion. I even said in my post "perhaps you are right", so I was not discounting your opinion. That was the only part of my post directed at you.

The part about women and minorities was directed about a critic's review on page 1 of this thread. I also read some reviews that criticized the movie because it develop the characters enough, therefore they did not feel anything when they died. My point was they all mattered, with or without character development. I felt the movie was saying all 400,000 mattered.

Chap, looking back I should have said "critics", not "people who work in the industry". But there have been some reviews by some of you that led me to feel that way. I think Cheese said it best in his post above. It was not a knock on any of you.

I am really bad at expressing my self while typing on my phone, I even made a disclaimer to that effect. I never bother editing my posts as I am tired of posting with my fat fingers on my phone's tiny keyboard. Trust me if I worked on your plumbing, you would have a lot more to say than that.

I had a stroke a few years ago and apparently when I try to express myself, especially in writing, it doesn't always come out like I intended. Maybe that's why I envy those that have a way with words.

Sorry, Stout, for some reason I thought you worked in the industry. I think it's because sometimes when you express your opinion, it comes across as though you are stating a fact, not an opinion.

As far as the reefer, I am 65, was a teen during the 60's and have never smoked one in my life. Maybe that's why I am the way I am. :)

Stout

Reaction score
Oh, okay. You only quoted me, and so I thought that was all aimed at me lol No worries. I would say I wish I worked in the industry, but...Chap, Cheese...my hat is off to you. I love to write, but I'm not writing to deadlines, worrying about about too specific an audience or demographic, and...you go through a lot in that industry. I doubt I could handle it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Stout, I think you may be overreacting. I read your post as though you stating it would have been a great movie if not for the timeline issue. I thought that was a little harsh, knocking it from great to good for one thing. That was just my opinion. I even said in my post "perhaps you are right", so I was not discounting your opinion. That was the only part of my post directed at you.

The part about women and minorities was directed about a critic's review on page 1 of this thread. I also read some reviews that criticized the movie because it develop the characters enough, therefore they did not feel anything when they died. My point was they all mattered, with or without character development. I felt the movie was saying all 400,000 mattered.

Chap, looking back I should have said "critics", not "people who work in the industry". But there have been some reviews by some of you that led me to feel that way. I think Cheese said it best in his post above. It was not a knock on any of you.

I am really bad at expressing my self while typing on my phone, I even made a disclaimer to that effect. I never bother editing my posts as I am tired of posting with my fat fingers on my phone's tiny keyboard. Trust me if I worked on your plumbing, you would have a lot more to say than that.

I had a stroke a few years ago and apparently when I try to express myself, especially in writing, it doesn't always come out like I intended. Maybe that's why I envy those that have a way with words.

Sorry, Stout, for some reason I thought you worked in the industry. I think it's because sometimes when you express your opinion, it comes across as though you are stating a fact, not an opinion.

As far as the reefer, I am 65, was a teen during the 60's and have never smoked one in my life. Maybe that's why I am the way I am. :)
No worries at all. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh, okay. You only quoted me, and so I thought that was all aimed at me lol No worries. I would say I wish I worked in the industry, but...Chap, Cheese...my hat is off to you. I love to write, but I'm not writing to deadlines, worrying about about too specific an audience or demographic, and...you go through a lot in that industry. I doubt I could handle it.
Admittedly, Cheese has it a lot tougher than I do. Being on the creative side of the industry is TOUGH. Cheese would probably be the first to tell you he's been extremely fortunate to work on bigger productions. Back in my creative day I produced and edited a few movies that went nowhere. Probably why I'm in the technical side of television right now. LOL

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, Cheese has it a lot tougher than I do. Being on the creative side of the industry is TOUGH. Cheese would probably be the first to tell you he's been extremely fortunate to work on bigger productions. Back in my creative day I produced and edited a few movies that went nowhere. Probably why I'm in the technical side of television right now. LOL

You have to be a masochist of MASSIVE proportions to do what I chose to do.

I also believe if you do what I do, you realized at some point there's literally nothing else in the world you'll succeed at... even during VERY LONG periods of absolutely ZERO success.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As your older brother I am taking full license to say this: that's just a stupid statement.

I won't quibble with the above.

maybe i should have said to do what I do, you have to have a certain drive to believe in the impossible, because that's what working in my industry creatively really is... near impossible. and to do that, you have to have out of your mind belief in your ability to do that.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES — “Dunkirk” and “Girls Trip” won big at the weekend box office by breaking unwritten Hollywood rules about release dates and cast diversity. But another flouter of film industry norms, the surreal, independently financed space adventure “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets,” was dead on arrival.

Powered by exceptional reviews — the word “masterpiece” was bandied about — “Dunkirk” (Warner Bros.) took in about $50.5 million at North American theaters, or about 20 percent more than analysts had expected before release. Turnout was very strong at Imax locations. (The film was shot with Imax 70-millimeter cameras.) “Dunkirk,” directed and written by Christopher Nolan and focused on trapped soldiers during World War II, collected an additional $55.4 million in partial release overseas.

“Dunkirk” cost about $100 million to make, not including marketing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/movies/dunkirk-girls-trip-valerian-box-office.html

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, I'm not because this PC garbage is getting out of hand. I mean, why bother saying it at all if it wasn't to make some kind of political point? As I said, normal thinking people will watch the movie and enjoy it for the historical period piece that it is just like I can watch a movie like Barber Shop and not care that the cast is 99% black because *gasp* there might actually be predominantly black neighborhoods. Basically there was no need for the writer, in a prominent newspaper to have to make a sideways political statement like that, specially for a movie like this.
I agree with your honest take. There's nothing very honest about being politically correct these days.

I would like to say more on the subject...but i won't(can't) because i'm a white dude. That's the world we live in now.

ON TOPIC: I won't go see this right away but definitely when it hits home video. I'm a big WWII film/documentary buff and i'm interested in how Nolan handles this kind of material.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your honest take. There's nothing very honest about being politically correct these days.

I would like to say more on the subject...but i won't(can't) because i'm a white dude. That's the world we live in now.

ON TOPIC: I won't go see this right away but definitely when it hits home video. I'm a big WWII film/documentary buff and i'm interested in how Nolan handles this kind of material.

Yes... the poor oppressed WHITE DUDE! That's the world we live in now. Good lord.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have to agree.

I took my dad to see this last night. He loves watching WWII movies. While he enjoyed this movie, the whole timeline thing had him confused I think. It even had me confused a couple of times and it took a second to figure out what was going on. Still I enjoyed it but it wasn't my favorite movie of the summer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one said anything about whites being oppressed. Come on dude. If you weren't able to interpret my meaning your head is buried in the sand.

Don't try to bait me with that crap.

You specifically said you CAN'T say anymore because you're a white dude. That is the very definition of oppression.

"I would like to say more on the subject...but i won't(can't) because i'm a white dude. That's the world we live in now."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it... A lot actually.. But I completely agree about the timeline complaints..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard