Phoenix Rising FC and MLS Expansion April and May updates

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.thebluetestament.com/201...hoenix-detroit-sacramento-lafc-power-rankings

Sounds like LAFC is going to be the first of four new MLS expansion teams. It will be the only MLS Expansion Team to enter the league in 2018. That leaves 3 spots left. Phoenix Rising FC continues to put up a strong showing with their new stadium.

Phoenix Rising FC
Phoenix is another city that is on the rise in the MLS expansion race. They recently had their first home game post-rebranding and it would have to be considered a success. 6,890 fans attended the game inside a stadium with only 6,200 seats. They followed that with 6,330 fans in the second home game. The stadium solution is supposed to be temporary with plans in place to build a 20,000+ seat privately financed climate-controlled stadium once expansion is granted.

If you are behind on PRFC then the Arizona Republic has a nice little story to catch you up on their tale.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It is stupid to have two LA teams...
Why? Because you say so?

There's a lot of money out here, and you're going to have different market shares--The Galaxy were the "more American" of the two teams, but Chivas was very popular with the Latino community. I expect more of the same with the new club.

Phoenix doesn't have an MLS club, doesn't have ANYTHING to do with whether LA has 2 clubs or not. Sounds like sour grapes.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it has to do with only 4 MLS expansion teams available and now LA is snagging one of those when they already have a team.

There are a lot of big markets without a single team and that will leave areas in the US without MLS team coverage. I get it though, if there is support for the team then they deserve an equal chance. Plus there is a lot of money in LA and money talks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it has to do with only 4 MLS expansion teams available and now LA is snagging one of those when they already have a team.

There are a lot of big markets without a single team and that will leave areas in the US without MLS team coverage. I get it though, if there is support for the team then they deserve an equal chance. Plus there is a lot of money in LA and money talks.
Except until this year, there has always been 2 teams in LA. It's not like there's always been one team and they are adding another one. They are replacing one that was already there. Chivas didn't get the crowds the Galaxy do, but they still got some crowds--and LA is a great soccer city. Phoenix has yet to prove that it can sustain a team in that environment.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except until this year, there has always been 2 teams in LA. It's not like there's always been one team and they are adding another one. They are replacing one that was already there. Chivas didn't get the crowds the Galaxy do, but they still got some crowds--and LA is a great soccer city. Phoenix has yet to prove that it can sustain a team in that environment.

Oh I agree with you but I also see the other side of the coin as well. I admit that I'm jealous that LA now has two teams. Still holding out hope that PHX will land one of the other three.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to the local sports radio here in San Diego, and they said that San Diego State U. pulled out of negotiations with FS Investors. I don't know how this affects SoccerCity, but it looks like it'll still be on the ballot in November.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sd-fi-sdsusoccer-20170516-story.html

Interesting and thanks for sharing. I thought that the SD proposal had a soccer stadium being built near the baseball park downtown. I didn't realize it was going to go where Qualcomm stadium is located.

With the Chargers leaving I thought for sure SD would be the front runner for a MLS expansion team. I'm not sure this changes anything but it probably doesn't help.

Speaking of SD and soccer, my sons new soccer team has a tournament out there the first weekend of June. I always enjoy a trip to SD!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I thought that the SD proposal had a soccer stadium being built near the baseball park downtown. I didn't realize it was going to go where Qualcomm stadium is located.

With the Chargers leaving I thought for sure SD would be the front runner for a MLS expansion team. I'm not sure this changes anything but it probably doesn't help.

Speaking of SD and soccer, my sons new soccer team has a tournament out there the first weekend of June. I always enjoy a trip to SD!

Soccer City is basing a lot of there financing on developing the land that Quallcomm and parking lot sits on - which is potentially worth $1 Billion. Pie in the sky bid, IMHO

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose