Logan (aka Wolverine III)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old Man Logan: Hugh Jackman Says Next 'Wolverine' Film Will Be Based on 'Old Man Logan'

"I've got three words for you guys: Old Man Logan," Jackman said during a panel at San Diego Comic-Con International Saturday. He has already said the third "Wolverine" movie will be his last.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So this is coming out in March already, and we haven't heard hardly anything about it? Not a good sign. I'm quite leery of this one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So this is coming out in March already, and we haven't heard hardly anything about it? Not a good sign. I'm quite leery of this one.
What exactly do you want to hear 6 months before it's opening?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Uugghh. Hollywood formula for when something has become stale "Add a kid". (or alternatively, add a long lost brother/sister) etc.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Old Logan is a very popular story from the X-Men comics.

I wasnt talking about that. Im cool with old man logan. In fact I loved the "The wolverine" when he was the mountain hermit. Thought it was perfect for his character.

Just adding the kid is so hollywood.

OK so hes old. why add the kid? Being old doesnt mean you have kids/grandkids/any attachment to kids what so ever. It just so cliche

and more over its not like this is new or fresh. Remember he was constantly babysitting kids in X men 2 and 3 also

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay the old man Logan stories post-dated my comic book days. So read up on it and the secret wars stuff on Wikipedia. First, if this movie stays true to those stories this will be the darkest comic book movie ever. Second . . . can someone who read those stories explain to me how they weren't considered the most ridiculous stories ever concocted?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay the old man Logan stories post-dated my comic book days. So read up on it and the secret wars stuff on Wikipedia. First, if this movie stays true to those stories this will be the darkest comic book movie ever. Second . . . can someone who read those stories explain to me how they weren't considered the most ridiculous stories ever concocted?

I can't speak for Secret Wars but the original Old Man Logan was done in sort of "What If" type of arc set far in the future. It spread across 8 issues in the middle of a Wolverine solo run that was on hiatus because of an event that Marvel had going on spreading across their entire line of books, I think the Civil War story. The first book sets things up really well and sells you on the story and setting but doesn't explain the why to anything, you find that out as it goes along.

I got back into comics in like 2011 or 12 and I got the first issue of Old Man Logan for free on Comixology, which is a digital comic provider. I bought the other 7 issues right after finishing the first book because it does a really good job of selling you on the general idea and you want to know the why and how behind all that takes place in that first issue. Highly recommend checking that series out. Most libraries would have that available and another option would be checking out Marvel Unlimited, which is a monthly subscription service that gives you access to all of Marvel's back catalogue but keeps you about 6 months behind in terms of new releases. You can get your first month free on there and read as much as you'd like though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a PHENOMENAL trailer!

Great use of the Hurt cover by Johnny Cash.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a PHENOMENAL trailer!

Great use of the Hurt cover by Johnny Cash.

Very dark and different feel verses previous films. Did you notice the girl at one point had glasses on?

Wonder if this plays into the Rachel Grey character (daughter of Jean and Scott...aka the New Phonix or Marvel Girl).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very dark and different feel verses previous films. Did you notice the girl at one point had glasses on?

Wonder if this plays into the Rachel Grey character (daughter of Jean and Scott...aka the New Phonix or Marvel Girl).

I didn't even think of Rachel Grey, which would be a very welcome twist. I've been following the behind the scenes stuff quite a bit on this and that character is more likely than not going to be X-23/Laura Kinney, who is a clone of Wolverine and that was set up in the post credit scene in X-Men Apocalypse. Bryan Singer has said that's who the little girl is but no one actually involved in the writing or directing or acting in Logan has confirmed her to be X-23.

The foX-Men films have such a poorly handled timeline that it's hard to pinpoint who some characters may end up being without the studio confirming it. This film is supposed to be set in 2024, which is 2-3 years after the epilogue future scene in Days of Future Past, but the post credit scene from Apocalypse where Mr Sinister/Nathaniel Essex's company takes Wolverine's blood samples was from 1982. So it's taken about 30 years to successfully clone him, since she's supposed to be between 11-14 in "Logan". It sets her up for future movies but from the looks of this film there won't be any future movies involving the older X-Men. Also Apocalypse gave off the vibe they'd continue with that cast if they do any more films, which would take place in the 80's or early 90's I'd guess if they're keeping the same actors from First Class, DoFP, and Apocalypse. The directer of Logan has confirmed when this movie is set, 2024, which is 2 years after the DoFP epilogue so Professor X somehow ages about 20 years in 2 and Wolverine's healing factor is broken. It wouldn't be that muddled if they didn't include the future scene at the end of Days of Future Past.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't even think of Rachel Grey, which would be a very welcome twist. I've been following the behind the scenes stuff quite a bit on this and that character is more likely than not going to be X-23/Laura Kinney, who is a clone of Wolverine and that was set up in the post credit scene in X-Men Apocalypse. Bryan Singer has said that's who the little girl is but no one actually involved in the writing or directing or acting in Logan has confirmed her to be X-23.

The foX-Men films have such a poorly handled timeline that it's hard to pinpoint who some characters may end up being without the studio confirming it. This film is supposed to be set in 2024, which is 2-3 years after the epilogue future scene in Days of Future Past, but the post credit scene from Apocalypse where Mr Sinister/Nathaniel Essex's company takes Wolverine's blood samples was from 1982. So it's taken about 30 years to successfully clone him, since she's supposed to be between 11-14 in "Logan". It sets her up for future movies but from the looks of this film there won't be any future movies involving the older X-Men. Also Apocalypse gave off the vibe they'd continue with that cast if they do any more films, which would take place in the 80's or early 90's I'd guess if they're keeping the same actors from First Class, DoFP, and Apocalypse. The directer of Logan has confirmed when this movie is set, 2024, which is 2 years after the DoFP epilogue so Professor X somehow ages about 20 years in 2 and Wolverine's healing factor is broken. It wouldn't be that muddled if they didn't include the future scene at the end of Days of Future Past.

Confirmed. Simple caption for the girl - Laura.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I realize that it is a comic book story and they don't want to stray too far, but it was a bit formulaic to me. Still, good entertainment and worth the price of admission, in my opinion.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Fitting ending to the original crew that started the entire thing in 2000.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easily the best of the solo Wolverine movies... probably ranks next to X2 as the second best overall X-Men movie.

and holy crap is it VIOLENT.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Very good and proof positive that Marvel can handle the dramatic rated-R superhero movie -- since they proved they could do it with the comedic one, it's nice to see them succeed so well at the dramatic side.

Personally, this could be a fitting ending for all the X-Men movies--I know I'd want to finish on this one instead of freaking Apocalypse.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard