Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ‘worried’ about Manchester United’s set-piece vulnerability

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted he is “worried” about Manchester United’s vulnerability at set pieces. Manchester City scored from a free-kick and corner that United failed to deal with in Wednesday’s 2-0 Carabao Cup semi-final defeat and only Leeds, Leicester and bottom club Sheffield United have conceded more goals from set-pieces in the Premier League than Solskjaer’s side this season. Solskjaer believes United have been particularly poor at dealing with set-pieces when they fail to win the first ball and recognises the issue must be addressed if they are to realise their ambitions this term. United play Championship promotion chasers Watford in the FA Cup third round at Old Trafford on Saturday, when Solskjaer is likely to start with a host of fringe players, before facing two huge games in the league next week. United will go top of the table if they beat Burnley at Turf Moor on Tuesday and would then have the opportunity to open up a six-point gap on reigning champions and current leaders Liverpool with victory at Anfield five days later. “It’s something that we have addressed that we need to do better at,” Solskjaer said of United’s set-piece struggles. “We seem to suffer … when we don’t get the first contact we have been punished quite severely and more often than anyone else. “We’re quite good at the first contact and defending the ball but, when we haven’t, we have conceded too many goals. “I think we’re very high up there in the stats of when we don’t get the first contact that we concede. That’s a worry, of course. “It’s a worry when you concede goals but we have defended really well at times. But, as I’ve said against Man City, when you defend as well as you do in open play and you don’t really concede too many chances, you’re disappointed in big games against good players and good teams that we lose that bit of focus [at set pieces]. “It’s a big part of football. So many goals are conceded from set plays but, as I said we do have a good record of winning the first ball, but when we don’t it seems like it goes in every time.” Solskjaer said he was expecting an immediate reaction to the City defeat and does not believe a fourth successive semi-final exit has increased the pressure against Watford in another cup competition. “Not at all, it’s a competition we always enter to go as far as we possibly can,” he said. “We were all disappointed on Wednesday night but we were all ready to go again on Thursday morning. We have got to bounce back and there’s still many many game to go. We got to the quarter finals [of the FA Cup] in 2019, the semi-finals in 2020, hopefully we can go one step further this season.” Donny van de Beek will afforded a rare start on Saturday following his £40 million summer move from Ajax, but Solskjaer says he has reassured the Holland midfielder he is an important part of his plans and to ignore some of the noise coming from outside the club. Former Dutch international Ronald de Boer claimed this week that Van de Beek should quit Old Trafford to boost his prospects of playing at the Euros for Holland this summer but Solskjaer insists the midfielder just needs to be patient. “I’ve answered this question so many times and there’s so many examples of players needing a little bit of time – quality players,” the United manager said. “We have many examples ourselves and there are other clubs with examples and sometimes it takes time. “You don’t expect people who care for him to be quiet at times, especially when they want the best for them. Donny is going to play tomorrow, it’s another chance for him. And, yes I’ve spoken to him and made him aware of how much we rate him but he will play tomorrow and it’s a good chance again for him to kick on.” Players without a long-term future at Old Trafford are goalkeeper Sergio Romero and defenders Marcos Rojo and Timothy Fosu-Mensah, with Solskjaer admitting United will listen to offers for the trio. Romero – who was not included in United’s Premier League or Champions League squads for this season – has just return from an extended holiday in Argentina, according to Solskjaer, but is available to leave this month. The Argentina goalkeeper was furious at being denied a move to Everton on deadline day in October and is looking for a new club. Rojo has attracted some interest from Boca Juniors and is also free to go. Both players are out of contract at the end of the season and Solskjaer said neither would be offered new deals. “Both of them have contracts until the summer and they’re not going to be extended,” the United manager said. “So we’re looking for them to find clubs. Marcos has been given time to go home, so he’s still in Argentina. “Sergio has been back home as well to see his family but he’s back in England now. They’re professionals, they’re working hard and if they’re called in for us I’m sure they’re ready. Marcos will have to travel and do the quarantine before.” Fosu-Mensah, 23, is also out of contract at the end of the season and expected to leave. “I’m not sure if he will stay or if he’s going to take an option now, he’s not played enough so of course he’s been allowed to speak to clubs with a view to leaving now in January,” Solskjaer said. “It’s difficult when you have good players, talented players and you can’t give them game time. “He’s now at the stage where he needs to go and play again. It might be the end of January or in the summer where he finds somewhere else. He’s working hard so he’s ready for a move for any club he feels ready for.” Brandon Williams, who could start against Watford, is another facing an uncertain future this month amid loan interest from Southampton and Newcastle. United have rebuffed an initial loan approach from Southampton for the full-back but it remains to be seen if he says this month, with Solskjaer adamant a big squad is going to be vital this term. “With the signing of Alex [Telles] and the form of Luke [Shaw], he’s not really had a look in at left back this season,” Solskjaer said of Williams. “Last season I think he played in all three semis, in the Europa League, FA Cup and the Carabao Cup, and he had a great rise or a great first season. This season has been more difficult for him. “I think he’s put his head down and worked really hard lately. He will be involved tomorrow, he’s in the squad. He has shown me that he has the desire to fight through this, that’s the biggest thing. “When you find your first big contract and you do well, can you bounce back after not being in the team as much? Brandon has shown that lately so hopefully he will just keep carrying on as he does. He knows my view on it, he knows my view on him and we believe in the boy.” Meanwhile, Solskjaer said there was no point complaining about Edinson Cavani’s ban now given that he will complete his three-match suspension against Watford.

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard