DBacks Trade Touki Toussaint & Bronson Arroyo to the Braves

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Wasn't Arroyo in the last year of his deal? It's not like he's on a multi year deal for big money. If money is a concern sell the damn team!!!!!!!!

He is making 9.5 mil this year and scheduled to make 11 mil next year. I guess there is a buyout for next year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Touki was signed by the D'Backs last year on his birthday which means this was the first day he was eligible to be traded. Did they even bother shopping him around or just accept the first offer? I mean we give 70m to a DH but can't eat Arroyo's deal? Or not after signing a 1 billion $ tv contract??

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We saved roughy $10 million by dumping Arroyo... For what?? How will that money be put to use? We'll have to wait and see I guess. But damn... Giving up on Touki for $10 million?? Really?? It just doesn't smell right and the damn Braves have fleeced us - again!

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Not to sure why this team even signs free agents or players to deals if they just waste prospect talent to dump them later.

Dbacks need to just be a farm system like the Marlins until, they have acquired enough talent and prospects to put together an above average team.

As of now we are a bottom level team, I would rather us put together a cheap team that will still be at the bottom

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not to sure why this team even signs free agents or players to deals if they just waste prospect talent to dump them later.

Dbacks need to just be a farm system like the Marlins until, they have acquired enough talent and prospects to put together an above average team.

As of now we are a bottom level team, I would rather us put together a cheap team that will still be at the bottom
+1, I agree that ARZ should follow the OAK / MIA model in building your team through the draft. However, it doesn't matter how well ARZ drafts if they keep dealing their top prospects for veteran scrubs or to shed FA mistakes. I mean even with a $4.5M buyout next year, its not like Arroyo's salary was that absurd that they needed to shed it. Touki could end up being a stud pitcher in 3 years, potentially an Ace to save $10M which shouldn't be an issue because you just signed a $1B TV deal.

Hopefully this is the last stupid deal ARZ does and learns from these huge mistakes. We might as well get over it, its a done deal.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Kendrick needs to explain why saving $10 million dollars was so important they had to give away a top prospect. They want us to finance the team with our purchases. Why should i spend my money on a team that is more concerned with saving money than getting better?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Another example of the good ole boy hiring system in baseball

Dave Stewart may have been a great pitcher and even a decent agent but I never quite figured out what qualified him to be a General Manager except being a close personal friend of Tony LaRussa. The argument the team is going young with the pitching and then trading a 19 year old highly rated pitching prospect in Touissant who needs at least another 3 -5 years to develop is absurd. Do they think we are just stupid? Don't you think we will know where the Archie Bradley's, Robbie Ray's and Ruby DeLaRosa's will be pitching wise in 3-5 years so that we know along with the college prospects we drafter where Touki will fit? Then when asked if the Braves would have accepted Bronson Arroyo's salary being subsidized he said no. Who the hell are the Braves? We could have said no to Toussaint being excluded from the deal. Who had the gun to our head? It just appears that we were the one's with the gun to our head and the only reason can be money. Signing a new TV deal and all seems to mean nothing. They probably owe the investors money back for all the cash calls and must have felt the pinch. There is no way on any baseball based decision tree that this deal makes any sense. It had to be a financial decision pure and simple. Extremely stupid deal.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Agree with dumping Hill and Reed

Both Hill and Reed should soon be shown the door...Would generate about another $8 million in savings I believe.

Agree on getting rid of Hill and Reed but release them if unable to trade for players and do not throw in prospects to dump their salaries.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They better see something they really like in Gosselin or have seen something they really didn't like in Touki. On the surface this trade is really hard to swallow.

We have traded away a ton of highly rated pitching prospects in recent years and I don't recall any of those moves having gone in our favor.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am totally against this trade for the principle of it, trading a top prospect as a way of dumping money (a sad amount of money, 10mil) when toussaint was drafted he was considered the steal of the draft because he was top 10 talent but it was reported he wanted to go to college. so to get rid of that player is completely ridiculous, and i think Dave Stewart is a total moron.

all that aside, here's a look at something.

2000 Arizona Diamondbacks Top 10 Prospects - Baseball America
John Patterson, RHP "He has as high a ceiling as any young pitcher in baseball. All he needs is to make the mental adjustments in becoming more aggressive." Career 18-25 4.32 ERA 1.3 WHIP
Jack Cust, OF
Byung-Hyun Kim, RHP
Jeremy Ward, RHP
Nick Bierbrodt, LHP
Alex Cintron, SS
Rod Barajas, C
Luis Terrero, OF
Ben Norris, LHP
Geraldo Guzman

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Deal no doubt was approved by LaRussa, Kendricks & Hall. What a joke of an organization.

I hate to say this, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while now... I have the assumption that La Russa sees this gig as a "retirement" he gets to stay relevant in the game, but I'm not sure he's the same guy now that won all those championships as manager. Stewart is his buddy too, probably not totally qualified for his position

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They better see something they really like in Gosselin or have seen something they really didn't like in Touki. On the surface this trade is really hard to swallow.

We have traded away a ton of highly rated pitching prospects in recent years and I don't recall any of those moves having gone in our favor.

Yep... Or, the saved $$ is spent in a surprise move... (Yes, I like to dream)... [emoji106]

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while now... I have the assumption that La Russa sees this gig as a "retirement" he gets to stay relevant in the game, but I'm not sure he's the same guy now that won all those championships as manager. Stewart is his buddy too, probably not totally qualified for his position
I am sorry, but I just can't come to that conclusion. The D-backs are building a good, young starting pitching staff. Perhaps that is why they traded off Toussaint. An overabundance at this time.

And they are developing a young starting lineup as well. As soon as they get rid of Aaron Hill and Addison Reed, and perhaps add another power bat, they will only get better.

I feel a lot better about the D-back future, both short- and long-term, now than I did one year ago. I cringe when I see D-backs fans use words such as "a joke", "moron", "garbage".

I don't even use those words on the ASFN Suns board, and they are the team who keeps rolling along with no hope.

C'mon, D-backs fans! There is reason for hope! :thumbup:

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
I am sorry, but I just can't come to that conclusion. The D-backs are building a good, young starting pitching staff. Perhaps that is why they traded off Toussaint. An overabundance at this time.

And they are developing a young starting lineup as well. As soon as they get rid of Aaron Hill and Addison Reed, and perhaps add another power bat, they will only get better.

I feel a lot better about the D-back future, both short- and long-term, now than I did one year ago. I cringe when I see D-backs fans use words such as "a joke", "moron", "garbage".

I don't even use those words on the ASFN Suns board, and they are the team who keeps rolling along with no hope.

C'mon, D-backs fans! There is reason for hope! :thumbup:

Agree.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is not one baseball expert who thinks the Diamondbacks did well on this trade. Here is a good article about the trade. I with the writer when he says:

It needs to be noted, of course, that Stewart also told reporters they love their young starting pitching depth across the organization. If that's the case and they wanted to deal Toussaint, most scouting outlets have already noted that they surely could've gotten a lot more back than Gosselin/salary relief.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...-scratching-trade-with-braves?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort