OT - Report concludes Patriots probably cheated, Brady aware

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read all the texts. There is really no Probably about it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
if it were my decision .......

I would take away their first and third round draft picks for the next three years.

Suspend Tom Brady for 10 games

Suspend Bilicheat from and NFL related event or activity for one calendar year (as they did to Payton)
decree that the ever hated "asterisk" must be present anytime that Championship game is mentioned,...even engraved on the trophy..." Won due to Cheating"....... as well as embroidered on the banner......also decree that the Patriots WILL have that trophy and banner on display at EVERY NFL event held at their stadium..... they have been caught cheating several times now...make them own it.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it were my decision .......

I would take away their first and third round draft picks for the next three years.

Suspend Tom Brady for 10 games

Suspend Bilicheat from and NFL related event or activity for one calendar year (as they did to Payton)
decree that the ever hated "asterisk" must be present anytime that Championship game is mentioned,...even engraved on the trophy..." Won due to Cheating"....... as well as embroidered on the banner......also decree that the Patriots WILL have that trophy and banner on display at EVERY NFL event held at their stadium..... they have been caught cheating several times now...make them own it.

I vote Oaken as NFL commish!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive been reading the text messages, it was 100% between Brady and the ball boys and 100% done on purpose. Brady was even hooking the ballboy up with autographed merch and etc for doing it.

Where are you seeing this? I read the ESPN story it's not there, curious I would like to read the texts too. IF they have texts of this why would they say probably and not clearly?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazing that they wait till that draft is over to release this. Kraft will probably tell his golf partner Goodell to fine them for this $500,000; he will go ahead and fire the two equipment employees. Brady will have to sit out the final preseason game.:D

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how the Patriots Dynasty* is viewed in 20 years when people look back on their 3 Super Bowl victories*.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How come everyone is blaming Brady and not Bellichek? Because Wells said he had no knowledge? Remember this?

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
A report that says it's "probable" that NE employees deflated the balls in question and it's "probable" that Brady was "at least generally aware" means to me they could PROVE nothing.

It's "probable" that there are numerous teams cheating to one degree or another. It's "probable" that some players use substances and get away with it too.

After 4 months, all of those pages and money spent they couldn't come up with an honest "I don't have a clue what really happened."

This was another cluster fornication about something they couldn't even prove. But, somebody will be fined, suspended, fired or whatever on "probable" guilt.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I don't think any punishment is merited on a "probable" result. If there was a time to jump on it, it would have been 4 months ago and it would already be over and done with.

Where are you seeing this? I read the ESPN story it's not there, curious I would like to read the texts too. IF they have texts of this why would they say probably and not clearly?
This was being discussed on the radio today. Probable is the language used in the NFL Code of Conduct documentation. Think of the term in the same way as the courts use the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt."

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"This is an unfortunate, unintentional mistake made by Tom Brady who did not understand the rules concerning ball pressure requirements. However, we must hand down a severe punishment for these actions. Tom will face a 2 game suspension, which we have selected randomly from the regular season of 2015. Tom will be ineligible to play September 27, 2015 in Foxboro against the Jacksonville Jaguars and on December 20, 2015 in Foxboro against the Tennessee Titans"
- Roger Goodell

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was being discussed on the radio today. Probable is the language used in the NFL Code of Conduct documentation. Think of the term in the same way as the courts use the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Think of it, I suggest, as the court use of the phrase 'preponderance of evidence', which is the highest threshold for a circumstantial case.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED to find that the report was released AFTER the draft, so that NE wouldn't have to forfeit a pick or two.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Think of it, I suggest, as the court use of the phrase 'preponderence of evidence', which is the highest threshold for a circumstantial case.

That is exactly what the NFL uses it is not a court of law, but uses the same rules as a civil case. That is to say that is more likely than not.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED to find that the report was released AFTER the draft, so that NE wouldn't have to forfeit a pick or two.

The punishment would have been handed down after the draft regardless. If draft picks are going to be forfeited it wouldn't have been in 2015. If anything, it would have been better from the Patriots perspective to lose picks in 2015 when they had the last pick each round vs losing them in a future draft.

The NFL probably waited until after the draft so that the focus would be on the incoming rookies, rather than have most of the discussion during the draft be about the Patriots.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
How come everyone is blaming Brady and not Bellichek? Because Wells said he had no knowledge? Remember this?

You must be registered for see images

Bounties for intentionally injuring opponents or deflated footballs.

I wonder which one is more impactful...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bounties for intentionally injuring opponents or deflated footballs.

I wonder which one is more impactful...

that question is actually very debatable but likely unanswerable... the point however is valid. The league told the saints and sean payton that basically a head coach should be aware and responsible for everything going on with his team, players, and staff..........the league then held sean payton responsible by suspending him from the league for a year....and they should do the exact same thing to Bilicheat

oh,...and it was payton's first offense....billy has been caught cheating before....

redforceone

Veteran
Reaction score
The NFL needs to stop being inconsistent when it comes to cheating or breaking the rules. Regardless of what it is or who it is - if a rule is violated or they are found cheating it needs to be dealt with.

IMO this type of inconsistency from the commissioner is tarnishing the league and it starts to make me wonder why I continue to renew my season tickets. I know if I don't... someone else will take them - it is not like the NFL needs me or cares about my approval of the NFL... but enough of the inconsistent BS.

The Patriots cheated... and have been caught... not just once... yet a "regular" player can be suspended for a year for smoking weed and we will see what/if anything happens to Brady, Coach B. or Kraft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I find it interesting that there are people comparing money being paid for injuring players to letting a portion of air out of a football.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that there are people comparing money being paid for injuring players to letting a portion of air out of a football.

+1 Some are even stating that it is worse.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The comparison is that Sean Peyton was suspended for a year even though he didn't know anything about it. While it is not the same, Belicheat shouldn't get a pass under that same standard.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The NFL needs to stop being inconsistent when it comes to cheating or breaking the rules. Regardless of what it is or who it is - if a rule is violated or they are found cheating it needs to be dealt with.

IMO this type of inconsistency from the commissioner is tarnishing the league and it starts to make me wonder why I continue to renew my season tickets. I know if I don't... someone else will take them - it is not like the NFL needs me or cares about my approval of the NFL... but enough of the inconsistent BS.

The Patriots cheated... and have been caught... not just once... yet a "regular" player can be suspended for a year for smoking weed and we will see what/if anything happens to Brady, Coach B. or Kraft.

If you feel this strongly, and if this is impacting you that much, then don't. Let someone else give the NFL their money. Or, you could just renew your tickets, and admit that it really doesn't impact your or I very much at all.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well I don't think ACT is worse. However, any act that damages the integrity of the game has to be dealt with in a similar fashion. What kind of message does it send to teams that you can do things that can impact the outcome of a game or season but it's no big deal because you can just pay a fine and move on?

If the Patriots get a slap on the wrist, where is the deterrent for the next team to do it knowing the worst they get is a slap?

I think it's oversimplifying to say...well it's just a little air. No, it could impact the outcome of the game. That's why it's not as simple as that IMO. A slap on the wrist tells teams...hey no big deal...if you can figure out a way (regardless of the act) to impact the outcome of the game....don't worry about it. You will only get a slap. Where does it end?

There is a bigger picture at stake IMO.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The comparison is that Sean Peyton was suspended for a year even though he didn't know anything about it. While it is not the same, Belicheat shouldn't get a pass under that same standard.

Knowing that your coordinator is paying players to injure other players should probably be considered different than knowing your QB is telling the ball boy to let some air out of a football.

I don't see how those two things are lumped together...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose