OT - Report concludes Patriots probably cheated, Brady aware

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is that they cannot prove it. It is why that they said probably. You can't punish someone when you can prove they did anything wrong.

They use the lower threshold of civil cases.

If the 'preponderance of evidence' indicates wrongdoing they can penalize both team and/or individuals.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then, Russo heard Brady Sr.'s "Framegate" quote and went off:

"Oh, shut the hell up! Shut up! Keep your mouth shut! Your son got nailed, keep your friggin' mouth shut. 'Framegate,' my [butt], shut up! Stay low. ... The guy cheated, folks, let's be honest. I gotta listen to Tom Brady's old man now? Who's lived in the bubble and has lived under the scenario where his kid has been a phenomenal player all this time? And now he's trying to disparage the guy who spent 246 pages writing about it?"
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/05/chris_mad_dog_russo_screams_about_tom_brady_sr_aft.html

I can't find the audio....but it was pretty funny listening to it on the radio.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lady just got convicted of murder it with no hard proof all circumstantial evidence so you're way off base here

If you say so.

They use the lower threshold of civil cases.

If the 'preponderance of evidence' indicates wrongdoing they can penalize both team and/or individuals.

If they are going to do that, then why say probably? 'You are probably guilty of murder' now let's hand down your sentence.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you say so.

If they are going to do that, then why say probably? 'You are probably guilty of murder' now let's hand down your sentence.

You are confusing civil and criminal proceedings.

In civil 'probably' is in fact an expression of certainty under the legal construct of preponderance of evidence.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They cheated and they got caught, and they lied. So yes, they need to be punished. I say 2-4 games max. THAT BEING SAID...

Have you guys not heard former GREAT players come out in defense? This kind of stuff happens CONSTANTLY in sports, people do little things here and there to gain an edge. Pitchers in baseball cheat their butts off all the freaking time. Jerry Rice said he used stickum LONG after it was banned. Are we going to take the 49ers rings away from them too? How bout the literally thousands of guys who have taken PED's over the years?

Walter Payton said in his book that everytime he was tackled he would take the ball and place it a yard further upfield than where he was tackled, hoping to affect the spot. He said it may have not been much each time but over the years he probably gained more than a few extra yards that way. Isn't that cheating? Yep it is, but we dont all HATE Walter Peyton like we obviously hate Tom Brady so Brady is the one who needs to be crucified for "ruining the sanctity of the game." what a joke... Aaron Rodgers freely admitted that he likes an over inflated ball. where is the witch hunt for him? Jake Plummer laughed this whole thing off and said that literally EVERY QB IN THE LEAGUE did this when he was playing.

How bout basketball players who travel everytime they touch the ball. Just because they know they can get away with it because the officials wont call it, is it not still cheating?

And people invoking the holier than thou; "This is why I watch COLLEGE football." nonsense. Excuse me while I go throw up. Yeah, colleges definitely all play by the rules when they recruit 5 star guys...

Just saying, YES this is bad and deserves to be punished. But some of ya'll talking about lifetime bans, acting like this is this great travesty, this betrayal of the 'sanctity' of the game that just doesn't exist.

I just laugh at all the Brady hate.... Because that is exactly what this is from some people... You cant be ostriches with your heads in the sand about all other cheating that has always been going on in sports and suddenly pop up just to be affronted, offended and betrayed by this one incident. That is hypocrisy at its best!
Nice post.

Reaction score
And people invoking the holier than thou; "This is why I watch COLLEGE football." nonsense. Excuse me while I go throw up. Yeah, colleges definitely all play by the rules when they recruit 5 star guys...

Just saying, YES this is bad and deserves to be punished. But some of ya'll talking about lifetime bans, acting like this is this great travesty, this betrayal of the 'sanctity' of the game that just doesn't exist.

I just laugh at all the Brady hate.... Because that is exactly what this is from some people... You cant be ostriches with your heads in the sand about all other cheating that has always been going on in sports and suddenly pop up just to be affronted, offended and betrayed by this one incident. That is hypocrisy at its best!

It starts in high school with the colleges. An ASU booster was telling me about a Suggs. They seen him down in Casa Grande & transferred him to Chandler High & then to Hamilton to get him on better teams with better coaches. He said how they started juice him then to add more muscle. He then went on the ASU of course & then the NFL. Don't know how true but the guy was definitely an ASU booster.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They cheated and they got caught, and they lied. So yes, they need to be punished. I say 2-4 games max. THAT BEING SAID...

Have you guys not heard former GREAT players come out in defense? This kind of stuff happens CONSTANTLY in sports, people do little things here and there to gain an edge. Pitchers in baseball cheat their butts off all the freaking time. Jerry Rice said he used stickum LONG after it was banned. Are we going to take the 49ers rings away from them too? How bout the literally thousands of guys who have taken PED's over the years?

Walter Payton said in his book that everytime he was tackled he would take the ball and place it a yard further upfield than where he was tackled, hoping to affect the spot. He said it may have not been much each time but over the years he probably gained more than a few extra yards that way. Isn't that cheating? Yep it is, but we dont all HATE Walter Peyton like we obviously hate Tom Brady so Brady is the one who needs to be crucified for "ruining the sanctity of the game." what a joke... Aaron Rodgers freely admitted that he likes an over inflated ball. where is the witch hunt for him? Jake Plummer laughed this whole thing off and said that literally EVERY QB IN THE LEAGUE did this when he was playing.

How bout basketball players who travel everytime they touch the ball. Just because they know they can get away with it because the officials wont call it, is it not still cheating?

And of course there isn't one Hall of Fame pitcher who used a spit ball, vaseline or an emory board. And not one hitter who ever corked his bat.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
hmmm,.... so,...because others have done it before and got away with it...........we should not bother to punish the ones who get caught?

it truly amazes me how some posters here can appear to be brilliant in one thread and a complete moron in the next.....gotta love topic diversity.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The wells report used the league rule book verbatim when it state more probable than not. They used that wording for a reason. They don't pull that stuff out of thin air. In the NFL it doesn't matter if it's 50.2% or 100% sure both mean guilty. That's all Vincent and roger need to punish and find guilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK why some people are finding this so hard to grasp. You cheat, you have to be punished if you are caught. Let it slide, you set a terrible precedent for your sport. It doesn't matter who it is, or how irrelevant it was to the outcome of a particular game. It doesn't matter what rule you were bending. It has to be called out as unacceptable and then backed up with action.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two thoughts on this. First, it they feel there is enough to say he cheated, then he cheated and should be punished. Seconds, I could really careless about it at this point. It is similar to what Atlanta did with the stadium noise IMHO. It is against thr rules, but not something I care enough about to invest so much emotion.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's dumb AJ. No offense dude, but dumb.

People have cheated in the NFL for decades. For 100 years. Just like every other sport.

Inflategate is stupid and I don't care, at all. I personally think every QB inflates his balls the way they want, I'd do the same thing frankly.

Get every advantage you can. People hate on Brady, which is totally ridic, if you think other QB's don't have their own balls inflated the way they want. Which brings into question, quite honestly, why is there a mandated pressure on balls anyway, by the NFL? Why? Why can't any team play with any pressure they want, who freaking cares? Rodgers has said he likes his over-inflated. Brady maybe likes his under. Who gives a crap?

It's, quite frankly, one of the dumbest arguments ever.

I really mean that.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two thoughts on this. First, it they feel there is enough to say he cheated, then he cheated and should be punished. Seconds, I could really careless about it at this point. It is similar to what Atlanta did with the stadium noise IMHO. It is against thr rules, but not something I care enough about to invest so much emotion.

I agree its kind of dumb to get very emotional over it. Its not like he was point shaving for the mob.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's dumb AJ. No offense dude, but dumb.

People have cheated in the NFL for decades. For 100 years. Just like every other sport.

Inflategate is stupid and I don't care, at all. I personally think every QB inflates his balls the way they want, I'd do the same thing frankly.

Get every advantage you can. People hate on Brady, which is totally ridic, if you think other QB's don't have their own balls inflated the way they want. Which brings into question, quite honestly, why is there a mandated pressure on balls anyway, by the NFL? Why? Why can't any team play with any pressure they want, who freaking cares? Rodgers has said he likes his over-inflated. Brady maybe likes his under. Who gives a crap?

It's, quite frankly, one of the dumbest arguments ever.

I really mean that.

Then why have the rule?

Break a rule, there is a consequence. If inflation of the ball doesn't matter, then dump the rule next chance you get. Until then, enforce the rule.

I'm not saying ban the guy for a season or something like that. I guess if it was up to me, it would be a fine, and not miss any games. Not a huge deal, just follow the damn rules like anyone else.

And the reason why its not "dumb" is there is always this undercurrent about how games are fixed. Every controversial call, every time something isn't called that should've been, you get all this yammering about the fix. Allow cheating to go unpunished, that just gets louder and really, it's kind of ruining post game for me and a lot of others. That's why it would be "dumb" to do nothing when someone breaks a clearly stated rule the whole league knows is there.

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying ban the guy for a season or something like that. I guess if it was up to me, it would be a fine, and not miss any games. Not a huge deal, just follow the damn rules like anyone else.

I think Brady is flat-out lying. All he had to do was say "That never happened."

What he said was "I haven't read the report yet", which I doubt.

But I agree with you. Fine him and the assistants who deflated, but don't suspend him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Brady is flat-out lying. All he had to do was say "That never happened."

What he said was "I haven't read the report yet", which I doubt.

Yeah, and there was that weird comment he made about it during his Super Bowl press conference that also wasn't an outright denial. (I've forgotten what he said exactly.)

Hey, hes not comfortable with lying like Belicheck is. That's a good thing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because it is a joke. Probably doing something isn't the same as doing it.

But frankly, he's a cheater, just like a lot of other HOF players.

Doesn't matter. Lesser players will cheat as well, they just aren't as good at it.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
he got caught. He has to pay the price now. I'm getting tired of people trying to defend him saying well everybody else does it. It sounds like a kid that got caught cheating on their test. The sad thing is Brady doesn't need to cheat to be good in my opinion. That's just the environment bill belechek has created. If bill were a stickler for not accepting that type of behavior it wouldn't happen.

I agree with Troy aikmans comments from January. At the time I thought it was a rush to judgment by Troy but what he said was true. If you are going to suspend a head coach for a year because he turned a blind eye to a bounty then how can you slap Brady on the wrist with only a fine for knowingly breaking nfl rules to gain a competitive advantage? This is where goodell is at his worst. His punishments have no consistency. He hammers some people for some things and then let's others completely off the hook. I think maybe it's an issue of cooperation. When players have cooperated with him he has punished them less but it appears Brady has been defiant as were the saints so how can you let that slide?

Last edited:

chickenhead

Reaction score
This is where goodell is at his worst. His punishments have no consistency. He hammers some people for some things and then let's others completely off the hook.

Agreed, and he deserved the widespread criticism he gets for this. The Saints punishment may have effectively ended their championship window. And I'm not saying it shouldn't have. But the Ravens and Pats scandals really do call into question his priorities among owners. I'm sure the Cards wouldn't get the same benefit--not that I would want them, too, either. Fair is fair.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
up here in NE the speculation is brady will get between 4-8 games and the pats will lose a pick plus a hefty fine. Thats from the local beat guys