NFL.com Cardinal Draft Grades

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Day 1 grade: A+
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A-
Overall grade: A
The skinny: NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah is one of many who believe Humphries is the best offensive tackle in the draft. At pick No. 24, he's an absolute steal for the Cardinals, especially considering they didn't have to trade up to get him. Humphries will fill an area of need and help the recovering Carson Palmer breathe a bit easier by keeping pass rushers at bay. Golden has great upside and might wind up having a better career than his former teammates at Missouri, such Broncos' first-round pick Shane Ray. Johnson is a perfect fit for Bruce Arians and can fill the big-back role while also being a top-notch threat as a pass catcher. Nelson teams with John Brown to form the fastest tandem in the league. Bottom line: The Cardinals added a lot of high upside players who can contribute in defined roles for a team that is really close to a Super Bowl run.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I liked the draft overall. I think most of the consternation is focused on personal and overall fan expectations.

1. Most fans didnt believe we needed a tackle, but the reality is that the current coaching staff is tired of Massie's mental errors. Improving our offense was a huge need, and Humphries was their BPA.

2. The Cardinals (and other teams if you believe reports) had a higher grade on Markus Golden than draft pundits and fans. I trust them on this: they have much more information. I remember watching a Mizzou game in 2013, and commentators were raving about Golden. I distinctly remember hearing the crew talk about him as a upcoming star and how he was good enough to take snaps from Michael Sam.

3. Gunter is a player they coveted. You take guys like that on day three. Supposedly another team was about to take him. He is an above average athlete for a DT.

4. Arians covets speed. JJ Nelson is fast.

5. Riddick is a nice developmental OLB.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Upon reflection I guess it might not be that bad. The only pick I really don't like is golden.

All the picks from the third on down are potential guys. If that potential is reached it could work out. I just wish we would have taken a corner instead of golden in the second.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you mean NFL.com gave us nothing but A's across the board. According to this board we need to fire Steve Keim

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad the Cards got a good grade, but not sure how they came about it. Outside of Humpheries, every other player was expected to be picked 1-2 rounds later. Markus Golden was going anywhere from the 4th to the 6th in mock drafts earlier. Not sure that reaching for players makes an "A" grade in my opinion.

I would have liked to see ILB Paul Dawson in the third, then the same other picks, just a round lower.

The funny thing is that I like each of the players-- and can see roles for them, just would hope to get them all a bit lower. Kind of like the 2013 grabbing HB, Okafor and Ellington below where they were projected.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I liked the draft overall. I think most of the consternation is focused on personal and overall fan expectations.

1. Most fans didnt believe we needed a tackle, but the reality is that the current coaching staff is tired of Massie's mental errors. Improving our offense was a huge need, and Humphries was their BPA.

2. The Cardinals (and other teams if you believe reports) had a higher grade on Markus Golden than draft pundits and fans. I trust them on this: they have much more information. I remember watching a Mizzou game in 2013, and commentators were raving about Golden. I distinctly remember hearing the crew talk about him as a upcoming star and how he was good enough to take snaps from Michael Sam.

3. Gunter is a player they coveted. You take guys like that on day three. Supposedly another team was about to take him. He is an above average athlete for a DT.

4. Arians covets speed. JJ Nelson is fast.

5. Riddick is a nice developmental OLB.
Keim even said during the day 3 presser that he heard rumblings that a certain team was going to take him and that is why he moved up to get him. He also said that he talked with that team's GM after the pick and it was confirmed that they were going to take him if he was there. He wouldn't say what team it was, but if you are high enough on a guy you have to do what it takes to get him.

frankeegee1

All Star
Reaction score
I very seldom looked at any of the mocks, especially the ones on this board . The only mock draft that counts is SK's ☺

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
There's lots to like about the individual players we drafted.

- Humphries has the makings of a very good OT in the NFL. Superior athelete at the position. Most of his short comings can be corrected.
- Golden is a high motor player. Coaches will love him more than scouts did. Not going to dominate but should be solid at the very least. Not an amazing athlete but not an inferior athlete either.
- Johnson can do anything Ellington can do, so we won't lose half our playbook if Ellington gets hurt like last year. Still getting better as a RB. Can return KOs as well. Worst case scenario you have a versatile player who can be used all over the field. Best case you have a RB who can get 1500+ all purpose yards a year.
- Gunter I can't say much. So little info on him. He's basically the same size as Dockett, so there's that.
- Riddick reportedly has already put on 15 lbs, fixing his weight issue. The right kind of athleticism to be a good pass rusher. Admittedly a project, but a worthwhile gamble at that point.
- Nelson is the fastest player in the draft and maybe the best returner in college last year. Don't expect much as a WR, though at 5'10'' it's possible for him to bulk up and be an effective deep threat.
- Christian actually has a decent shot at making the roster, which is more than you can say for most Mr. Irrelevants.

Not really going to get bent out of shape over "reaches." Outside of the 1st round the Kipers/Mayocks of the world really have no idea how other teams evaluate players. There probably isn't really that big a difference in talent between the 50th rated played and the 150th rated. Fitting the system and the locker room at that point is far more important to success than an extra .1s in the 40 or an extra 5 lbs of muscle.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's lots to like about the individual players we drafted.

- Humphries has the makings of a very good OT in the NFL. Superior athelete at the position. Most of his short comings can be corrected.
- Golden is a high motor player. Coaches will love him more than scouts did. Not going to dominate but should be solid at the very least. Not an amazing athlete but not an inferior athlete either.
- Johnson can do anything Ellington can do, so we won't lose half our playbook if Ellington gets hurt like last year. Still getting better as a RB. Can return KOs as well. Worst case scenario you have a versatile player who can be used all over the field. Best case you have a RB who can get 1500+ all purpose yards a year.
- Gunter I can't say much. So little info on him. He's basically the same size as Dockett, so there's that.
- Riddick reportedly has already put on 15 lbs, fixing his weight issue. The right kind of athleticism to be a good pass rusher. Admittedly a project, but a worthwhile gamble at that point.
- Nelson is the fastest player in the draft and maybe the best returner in college last year. Don't expect much as a WR, though at 5'10'' it's possible for him to bulk up and be an effective deep threat.
- Christian actually has a decent shot at making the roster, which is more than you can say for most Mr. Irrelevants.

Not really going to get bent out of shape over "reaches." Outside of the 1st round the Kipers/Mayocks of the world really have no idea how other teams evaluate players. There probably isn't really that big a difference in talent between the 50th rated played and the 150th rated. Fitting the system and the locker room at that point is far more important to success than an extra .1s in the 40 or an extra 5 lbs of muscle.

Very good post.

DJ and Riddick have me the most excited. I Like the rest of the draft but those two really have me intrigued.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They should do a feature "The Chronicles of Riddick" during training camp :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave