Cooper

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone was talking the other day about not hearing anything about Cooper lately - Just saw something on twitter.

Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki) tweeted at 10:21 AM on Thu, Jun 12, 2014:
BA Jonathan Cooper "still has a ways to go, its obvious he's not the athlete that he was last year at this time, still has plenty of time."

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It seems like the severity of his injury was kept quite. Wasn't the original diagnosis supposed to be a 10-12 week heal time? If so, he should be far ahead of the schedule he seems to be on. I wonder if there was more to it than they let on? I hope not, for the OL sake. Everyone seems to be counting on him to play at a high level.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like the severity of his injury was kept quite. Wasn't the original diagnosis supposed to be a 10-12 week heal time? If so, he should be far ahead of the schedule he seems to be on. I wonder if there was more to it than they let on? I hope not, for the OL sake. Everyone seems to be counting on him to play at a high level.

Any chance you're thinking of someone else? I seem to recall us hearing it was a broken leg shortly after the Chargers preseason game and that he'd be out a full season. I know we put him on the injured reserve list before the first game. Regardless, I wasn't expecting his recovery to still be a concern. That's worrisome.

Steve

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He broke his fibula if I remember right I don't think he tore anything. But he's probably rusty he hasn't played in forever and he was in the best shape of his life and at his peak last year during this time I'm not worried

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Any chance you're thinking of someone else? I seem to recall us hearing it was a broken leg shortly after the Chargers preseason game and that he'd be out a full season. I know we put him on the injured reserve list before the first game. Regardless, I wasn't expecting his recovery to still be a concern. That's worrisome.

Steve
No, I remember it being a fractured/broken leg but they originally talked about putting him on IR with designation to return in +/- 10 weeks. Eventually they put him on season long IR, which took some of us by surprise. I just figured with all that precaution, he would have been way past 100% by now. Unless his original injury was far worse than was reported.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone was talking the other day about not hearing anything about Cooper lately - Just saw something on twitter.

Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki) tweeted at 10:21 AM on Thu, Jun 12, 2014:
BA Jonathan Cooper "still has a ways to go, its obvious he's not the athlete that he was last year at this time, still has plenty of time."

And yet some people expect HB to be ready to go by Game 1 even though his injury was more severe and happened 4 months later.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, I remember it being a fractured/broken leg but they originally talked about putting him on IR with designation to return in +/- 10 weeks. Eventually they put him on season long IR, which took some of us by surprise. I just figured with all that precaution, he would have been way past 100% by now. Unless his original injury was far worse than was reported.

Now that you mention it, I remember this too.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet some people expect HB to be ready to go by Game 1 even though his injury was more severe and happened 4 months later.

It's a huge difference in the amount of strain the two dudes put on their legs. I don't find Cooper's condition surprising and I won't be surprised if HB is back for game 1. But, more than likely, HB will limited when he does come back, whenever that is.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought coopers injury was full blown IR from the get go.

Do people "expect" him back game one? or just positive thinking?

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I recall a discussion regarding the possibility of placing Cooper on the designated to return list when the injury occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought coopers injury was full blown IR from the get go.

Do people "expect" him back game one? or just positive thinking?

Is there a difference? Besides, most people are touting our strength of secondary, prominently highlighting HB as part of that and the reality is even if he can physically get back on the field this year, a guy who suffers his type of injury useually isn't at full strength until the season after they return.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is there a difference? Besides, most people are touting our strength of secondary, prominently highlighting HB as part of that and the reality is even if he can physically get back on the field this year, a guy who suffers his type of injury useually isn't at full strength until the season after they return.

honestly, I have enough faith in Johnson to handle the position anyways. Jefferson looked good in his limited playing time too. I think we're great at that position even without Mathieu. Not to say he isn't a great player either, he's just not the only one

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly, I have enough faith in Johnson to handle the position anyways. Jefferson looked good in his limited playing time too. I think we're great at that position even without Mathieu. Not to say he isn't a great player either, he's just not the only one

Dude, didn't we go to a game together last year? :)

Anyhow, you should've noticed that most of the time, Johnson and the Badger were on the field together. The Badger lined up as a nickel CB more than he did as a FS, I guarantee it.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dude, didn't we go to a game together last year? :)

Anyhow, you should've noticed that most of the time, Johnson and the Badger were on the field together. The Badger lined up as a nickel CB more than he did as a FS, I guarantee it.

nah, it was the year before last. Was a blast though. Sadly, I wasn't able to make it out last year. But you're right, he did often play nickel corner. He excelled wgerever he was on the field, but I have zero doubt that our D backfield will still be dominant without him

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nah, it was the year before last. Was a blast though. Sadly, I wasn't able to make it out last year. But you're right, he did often play nickel corner. He excelled wgerever he was on the field, but I have zero doubt that our D backfield will still be dominant without him

dominant without him? It was the weak link last year and that was WITH him being dominant last year. I think we upgraded the CB spot with Cromartie, but even there, he was pretty subpar last year and we lost our second best playmaker with HB. And Bucannon's a rook and Jefferson and Johnson are average players. nothing more, nothing less, IMO.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall a discussion regarding the possibility of placing Cooper on the designated to return list when the injury occurred.

we discussed it, I dont think the team considered it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes.

I hope he plays in game one, I dont expect him to. When he got injured I expected to see him full speed by october.

expecting him at full speed is positive thinking, IMO as well.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
expecting him at full speed is positive thinking, IMO as well.

True.

At least Arians is thinking the same way. He stated on AZCardinals.com that he has October 1st circled for Mathieu's return.

That's good logical thinking right there.

Right now I am enjoying my unrealistic expectations of Tony Jefferson. :D

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I saw him at the gym the other day and he was walking a little gimpy.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
we discussed it, I dont think the team considered it.

According to this, it was more than an ASFN discussion.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...na-cardinals-jonathan-cooper-surgery/2704615/

Players on the IR/return list must sit out six weeks before being allowed to practice and eight weeks before being allowed to play, although Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday that Cooper might not be ready to return until Week 12.

"The best part is that the operation went great," Arians said, adding Cooper did not require any rods or plates to help heal the leg. "The doctors were very positive about it. Whether he can come back, we'll wait and see for a couple more days. There is a chance he could come back with six games to go."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to this, it was more than an ASFN discussion.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...na-cardinals-jonathan-cooper-surgery/2704615/

Players on the IR/return list must sit out six weeks before being allowed to practice and eight weeks before being allowed to play, although Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday that Cooper might not be ready to return until Week 12.

"The best part is that the operation went great," Arians said, adding Cooper did not require any rods or plates to help heal the leg. "The doctors were very positive about it. Whether he can come back, we'll wait and see for a couple more days. There is a chance he could come back with six games to go."

Good find, I didn't remember that. I remembered us hoping for the possibility but not that the team did too.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort