Fitz restructures contract

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Once they release/cut/re-structure Colledge, cut Brinkley, and make a few more moves they will have all the cap room they need to accomplish teir off season goals.

It's why I rarely worry about cap space. There are always ways to make cap room when needed. Every GM, other than Rod Graves seemed to knowthis.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once they release/cut/re-structure Colledge, cut Brinkley, and make a few more moves they will have all the cap room they need to accomplish teir off season goals.

It's why I rarely worry about cap space. There are always ways to make cap room when needed. Every GM, other than Rod Graves seemed to knowthis.

Graves would have got it done... two weeks before training camp started.

Glad to see Keim was able to hammer this one out so quickly! Now we can concentrate on our other key free agents well before the start of free agency.

seesred

Reaction score
Not only is Larry still a great player, but more importantly he is a great man. I want him retire right here and become an assistant coach if he will. I'm very happy that he made it so we can take cars of he team now and play in next years super bowl at home!

GBR

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Exactly...as Winston Wolf said, let's not start...well, you know. Sounds like almost any way you cut it, we'll either have to deal with the pain now or later.

"his would create nearly $10 million in additional cap room but at a major cost moving forward, with incredibly high dead money charges and salary cap charges. This is for a player who has accounted for just 1,752 yards in the last two seasons combined and will be 31 in August. "

http://overthecap.com/initial-reaction-larry-fitzgeralds-restructured-contract/

Maybe, but isn't the cap supposed to make a big jump over the next 2 years? If so pushing money out to those years where it won't hurt as much is smart. Also if we managed to draft a QBOTF they'll be under a rookie contract which saves money on the front side as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Graves would have got it done... two weeks before training camp started.

Glad to see Keim was able to hammer this one out so quickly! Now we can concentrate on our other key free agents well before the start of free agency.

And Rod would have done it in a way that forced us to abandon FA the next 2 years because he overpaid.

Rod always struck me as the type of guy who pays full price for everything because he can't be bothered to carry coupons. Wait I know I can structure it differently but it's just easy this way who cares if we're at a competitive disadvantage as a result.

you gotta love Twitter though, gives Fitz the perfect platform to declare he's taking one to help the team when he's probably just getting more money up front.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki · 7m
Cards were about 2M under the cap, according to @kentsomers Arizona converted Fitz's salary to bonus, created about around 10M in cap space.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but isn't the cap supposed to make a big jump over the next 2 years? If so pushing money out to those years where it won't hurt as much is smart. Also if we managed to draft a QBOTF they'll be under a rookie contract which saves money on the front side as well.

The part two of the CBA kicks in during the 2017 season I believe. That is when people are projected a large jump in the salary cap.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
At some point, couldn't they do a Bobby Bonilla and just pay him $1mil/year for 20 years? Or, if he retires and they give him a front office job, what happens then?

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jurecki just tweeted out Fitz's 2015 cap details. I believe that is before today's restructuring though. I don't see how we can realistically keep him on the roster at that price and even more so if today's restructuring increases that somehow.

Fitz 2015 Cap number 21.250M
Base salary 8M, Roster bouns 8M, ProRated SB 5M, Workout bonus 250K

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At some point, couldn't they do a Bobby Bonilla and just pay him $1mil/year for 20 years? Or, if he retires and they give him a front office job, what happens then?

That's the most awesome deal in the history of sports.

Listen Larry has made almost 100 million so far in his career, that's guaranteed money. Let's not act like he's taken a vow of poverty here, he's going to get his money its just going to be later. This is not a paycut

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cue Shane meltdown in 5...4...3...2...1...

lol… People can praise LF all they want and I agree its a good ting if it helps the team. But Anyone thinking this doesn't benefit Fitz is kidding themselves. A deal like this usually does benefit the player its not like they are outright taking a pay cut. As it seems he now takes salary as a bonus in an upfront check of almost 10 million?? Poor Fitz for having to restructure. :D

If he did that the I will drop to my knees and praise the guy as though he's a god.

:D

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Diamondbacks did the same thing but not quite the same length. I think they payed Schilling until 2011...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jurecki just tweeted out Fitz's 2015 cap details. I believe that is before today's restructuring though. I don't see how we can realistically keep him on the roster at that price and even more so if today's restructuring increases that somehow.

Yeah no way in hell that happens.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The deal was structured for a re-visit in 2015. Nothing has really changed, if he's simply taking a bonus cheque in 2014 to clear up space. They'll be negotiating before his early bonus in 2015.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news in the short term but he didnt take a pay cut. Those are rare in the NFL. He just restructure his contract. He still getting all the money he was supposed to get. It's just the way they're paying him changed.

Exactly.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't believe people still compare this guy and his overall greatness to that idiot Anquan.

Go Fitz. Best Cardinal Ever.

Have a hard time imagining "Q" turning down a $10m cheque; money now rather than doled out in salary every two weeks during the season.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a hard time imagining "Q" turning down a $10m cheque; money now rather than doled out in salary every two weeks during the season.

Not to mention the $$ became fully guaranteed too. Anyone In here clamorong and praising Fitz for being unselfish and all about the team doesn't understand how this restructure worked. Sure it gave the team relief but it benefitted him 100% as well he did t give up lose or defer anything. He would have been an idiot not accept that restructure.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Florio

Yes, Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald restructured his contract. No, he won’t receive a penny less in 2014 than he was supposed to make.
As expected, it’s a so-called “simple” restructuring, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

It means that Fitzgerald agreed to convert a large chunk of his 2014 base salary to a signing bonus, which then will be spread over the five remaining years of his current contract.

At a base salary of $12.75 million and a league minimum for a veteran of 10 or more years of service at $955,000, the Cardinals were able to convert up to $11.795 million to a bonus. Divided by five, that translates to a per-year charge of $2.359 million. Which bumps $9.436 million to future cap years. Which drops Fitzgerald’s cap number for 2014 from $18 million to under $9 million.

Of course, that drives up the Fitzgerald cap number by $2.359 million in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Which makes 2015 the year of reckoning, when Fitzgerald’s cap number will be $23.6 million.

Which likely means that, come next year, it’ll take more than a simple restructuring to keep Fitzgerald in Arizona.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the $$ became fully guaranteed too. Anyone In here clamorong and praising Fitz for being unselfish and all about the team doesn't understand how this restructure worked. Sure it gave the team relief but it benefitted him 100% as well he did t give up lose or defer anything. He would have been an idiot not accept that restructure.

Nor should he have been unselfish. I don't believe one person here would take a pay cut for the Cards, just to take a pay cut. It's not like a Jerry Porter situation where he would have to take a paycut to stay on the team or be released and then likely out of the league.

If the Cards didn't give him 10 million this year, they could've cut him and he would've still made all that and probably more on the open market.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Shane, if Q was still a Cardinal and would have done what Fitz has done SO QUICKLY, you would be pouting off all kind of praise for him even though he is still getting all of his money :D

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with cutting Fitz at any time in the future will be the enormous amount of dead money the Cards will have to eat.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This is a WIN NOW move and we better enjoy it, because there will be a cap day of rekoning for the Cards. But you've got to pay to play and I am all for it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corkman