ASU and UofA All Time Great Players; Rankings

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Randal McDaniel and Pat Tillman? Everyone knows them.

This thread is so weird.

And I just noticed that TJ tarandfeather just dropped a bleacherreport link.

So great.

So not compelling. Arguably.

chickenhead

Reaction score
My take is that if we're going to talk about the head-to-head record, then it's worth remembering that Arizona piled up a 17-2 record while ASU was still a teacher's college, and the first ten games were in Tucson. I don't know when we'd say the schools reached a level playing field, but they were tied at 6-6 from the time the Board of Regents took over in Tempe until the time it became a full university in 1958. That was also when Kush took over from Dan Devine: he was then 16-5 against Arizona, and the Sun Devils were 22-11 in their post teacher's college era until Kush was dismissed.

That was separation, in my opinion. They had pulled within 4 games after starting 2-20. But after that, even though ASU continued to be the better program for largely the next two decades, the one thing Arizona was able to do was beat ASU. Full credit to them for that: I was at a lot of those games in the 80s as a kid, and the 9 game winless streak for ASU was brutal.

Since then, I'd say that both programs have underachieved. A three game streak for each, and a few back-to-backs for both. But altogether I feel like it's been a pretty chaotic series to cap off a lot of disappointing seasons. Hey, at least they still have great uniforms...oh wait.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If you only follow catscratchfever.com or whatever, I can see how you might come to this conclusion. It's not true, but you're welcome to the delusion.
Agreed with Gadd here, we're doing slightly better than ASU but not like we're bringing in a top 10 class or anything. My guess is both programs end up in the 30-ish range when the final recruiting rankings come out next year.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, the debate for today. Whose #34 is better, ASU's Steve Holden or U of A's Chuck Osborne?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed with Gadd here, we're doing slightly better than ASU but not like we're bringing in a top 10 class or anything. My guess is both programs end up in the 30-ish range when the final recruiting rankings come out next year.

I think both classes will end up hinging on players who may or may not have challenges qualifying. At least at the top end of things.

The ping-pong match going on with Natrell Curtis is a good example of two in-state programs having to decide how badly they want a headache just to say they landed an X-star in-state recruit. I say it's not worth it, but YMMV.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newsflash: Nobody outside of Tempe would recognize the majority of those names for ASU listed so far either.

I was about to say, ASU fans are over valuing their players. In the grand scheme of things.. These names are just local names..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To put in context.. Colleges like Iowa, Syracuse, and New Mexico think they got NFL talent based on the one or two players that went and did it.. But in the big picture, its hit and miss..

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You all have way too much time on your hands!

:D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To put in context.. Colleges like Iowa, Syracuse, and New Mexico think they got NFL talent based on the one or two players that went and did it.. But in the big picture, its hit and miss..

ASU is tied with Florida State at No. 25 all-time for producing NFL players, each producing 225. ASU has 4 players in the HoF. FSU has 2.

FWIW, Iowa is No. 23 with 235 and Syracuse is tied with Auburn for No. 24 with 228. Syracuse has produced 6 HoF members.

Arizona is not on the list.

Big picture, ASU has historically produced quality talent. It's been a dismal last decade, though.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU is tied with Florida State at No. 25 all-time for producing NFL players, each producing 225. ASU has 4 players in the HoF. FSU has 2.

FWIW, Iowa is No. 23 with 235 and Syracuse is tied with Auburn for No. 24 with 228. Syracuse has produced 6 HoF members.

Arizona is not on the list.

Big picture, ASU has historically produced quality talent. It's been a dismal last decade, though.

And I cant name one player from Iowa or Syracuse.. But is this list your talking about from the early times? Say the 60's? or so? Cuz if so then the Arizona Cardinals kick ass with their two championships!!

I am aware that the Cards won their championships in the 20's 40's..

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, the debate for today. Whose #34 is better, ASU's Steve Holden or U of A's Chuck Osborne?

I'd have to say it's Chuck Osborne. He was a big part of the Desert Swarm team that really propelled Arizona football to national attention. I remember Steve Holden, he was a very good wide receiver in the early 70's but Woody Green and Danny White stand out a little more from that era. I don't really remember either of them from the NFL although I'm sure they both played there for awhile. Even if they were a wash, I'd give the edge to Chuck because his team was more relevant.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I cant name one player from Iowa or Syracuse. But is this list your talking about from the early times? Say the 60's? or so? Cuz if so then the Arizona Cardinals kick ass with their two championships!!

I am aware that the Cards won their championships in the 20's 40's..

It covers the Modern Era (Post-WWII) to present. In my opinion:

Iowa's best: Alex Karras, Andre Tippett, Reggie Roby, Bob Sanders

Syracuse: Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Ernie Davis, Larry Csonka, Donovan McNabb

(Syracuse's list is as about as good as anyone's, I don't care that their best days were 40 years ago)

ASU: Terrell Suggs, Randall McDaniel, Eric Allen, Mike Haynes, Darren Woodson

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It covers the Modern Era (Post-WWII) to present. In my opinion:

Iowa's best: Alex Karras, Andre Tippett, Reggie Roby, Bob Sanders

Syracuse: Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Ernie Davis, Larry Csonka, Donovan McNabb

(Syracuse's list is as about as good as anyone's, I don't care that their best days were 40 years ago)

ASU: Terrell Suggs, Randall McDaniel, Eric Allen, Mike Haynes, Darren Woodson

I guess its something.. Just not something Im impressed about.. Im 37 watching modern day football.. So its different.. You know its different too..

And what I mean by that is this.. You weren't able to be in them times.. May have been to watch films.. But be physically in the times, no.. Anyone can read up and see stats.. But things change..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd have to say it's Chuck Osborne. He was a big part of the Desert Swarm team that really propelled Arizona football to national attention. I remember Steve Holden, he was a very good wide receiver in the early 70's but Woody Green and Danny White stand out a little more from that era. I don't really remember either of them from the NFL although I'm sure they both played there for awhile. Even if they were a wash, I'd give the edge to Chuck because his team was more relevant.

Steve

Osborne was a beast. I had to look up Steve Holden to refresh my memory, but his stats are amazing and I think he still holds some records. http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu...ootball-players-of-all-time-steve-holden.html

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was about to say, ASU fans are over valuing their players. In the grand scheme of things.. These names are just local names..

I disagree, many of the names had impacts on NFL teams. So far we've seen Gerald Riggs who was big time with the Atlanta Falcons, Jim Jeffcoat, a starter for many years with the Cowboys, Mark Malone, a starting QB for the Steelers, Darren Woodson, Vernon Maxwell, Saun McDonald, etc.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree, many of the names had impacts on NFL teams. So far we've seen Gerald Riggs who was big time with the Atlanta Falcons, Jim Jeffcoat, a starter for many years with the Cowboys, Mark Malone, a starting QB for the Steelers, Darren Woodson, Vernon Maxwell, Saun McDonald, etc.

And my favorite ASU star of all time, John Jefferson who tore it up in San Diego until his idiot agent got him traded to the frozen tundra. IMO, if he stays in San Diego with Fouts throwing to him, then Jerry Rice knocks him out of the top spot as the greatest receiver ever.

Steve

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And my favorite ASU star of all time, John Jefferson who tore it up in San Diego until his idiot agent got him traded to the frozen tundra. IMO, if he stays in San Diego with Fouts throwing to him, then Jerry Rice knocks him out of the top spot as the greatest receiver ever.

Steve

Great point, he is my favorite too. Best hands of any receiver, ever IMO. But we haven't even got that high on the AZcentral rankings yet. Will see who they put for the same # at U of A once they get that high.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For ASU, John Jefferson or Terrell Suggs? I don't know, it seems like a highly subjective analysis.

I plead a great deal of ignorance on U of A, sorry

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For ASU, John Jefferson or Terrell Suggs? I don't know, it seems like a highly subjective analysis.

I plead a great deal of ignorance on U of A, sorry

For ASU, it's between Randall McDaniel, Curley Culp, Charley Taylor or John Henry Johnson. Those are the 4 NFL HoFamers.

For UA, I'm going to guess Tedy Bruschi, Michael Bates, or Chris McAlister. Bates has been to the most Pro Bowls, Bruschi is the most visible, and McAlister was simply the best, IMO. Wildcard would be Art Lupino. There's no clear set for them. No NFL HoFamers.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would guess McDaniel and Bruschi, but I'm not really sure what criteria the writers are using.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess McDaniel and Bruschi, but I'm not really sure what criteria the writers are using.

You must be registered for see images attach

It doesn't really matter. It's just a thing to get people paying attention and talking about football. Whomever they pick will be met with a certain amount of anger, frustration and/or disgust.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for the number one spot, if it includes NFL success then I think it has to be Curley for ASU. He was easily the most dominant Devil to have ever played in the NFL. He was so dominant that he made the All Century team for two different franchises at a position notorious for shortened careers. The 3-4 defense might not even exist today if it hadn't been for him.

Steve