Justin Upton is a huge disappointment!

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would we get someone with superstar potential? Has Upton ever put up superstar numbers? Would someone just answer me that? You can't live in a fantasy world where players are what they were supposed to be.

In 2011 he was top 15 in Wins Above Replacement in all of MLB. If say that is superstar level performance.

Voters agreed by making him 4th in MVP race that year.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Justin has 12 homers. Last year it took him until September 1st to hit that many and he ended up with 17 for the season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Justin has 12 homers. Last year it took him until September 1st to hit that many and he ended up with 17 for the season.

Upton was also playing injured last year, and through the constant distraction of trade rumors and a franchise constantly throwing him under the bus. And he still hit .280 and was 2nd in the league in runs scored.

He also had a much lower strikeout rate than Goldy and Montero... but I dont see them getting killed here for their whiffs.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Sorry, Mrs Upton. :>) I was just pointing out how well he is doing.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the short term, Justin is being Justin again. While his OBP and OPS still look good, that's mostly from the first 3 1/2 weeks of the season. He's currently hitting .278, hasn't hit a homer in over 10 days and is on track to strike out about every 4th trip to the plate (120 k's or so).

Time will tell, but in the end I'm thinking he ends up with a better than average, but not great year. IMHO, of course.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the short term, Justin is being Justin again. While his OBP and OPS still look good, that's mostly from the first 3 1/2 weeks of the season. He's currently hitting .278, hasn't hit a homer in over 10 days and is on track to strike out about every 4th trip to the plate (120 k's or so).

Time will tell, but in the end I'm thinking he ends up with a better than average, but not great year. IMHO, of course.

1) Can you define "average" and "great" in numbers?

2) Are you saying the first month was the an anomaly and the last 10 days is the reality? Not sure what "Justin being Justin" is implying.

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
2) Are you saying the first month was the a Anatoly and the last 10 days is the reality? Not sure what "Justin being Justin" is implying.

Are you saying the first month of this season is the reality and his last 7 years in AZ were not?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Even the anti-trade contingency acknowledged that he'd come down a bit. That's called "baseball." Every player goes through ebbs and flows. No one is exempt from this. But at the end of the year, he'll have very impressive numbers.

Also, even when J Up struggled last season, his OBP and run total was still very high.

In addition to which,don't even expect Prado to have a .230 avg all season. He'll find his grove, most likely.

As you said, "time will tell."

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even the anti-trade contingency acknowledged that he'd come down a bit. That's called "baseball." Every player goes through ebbs and flows. No one is exempt from this. But at the end of the year, he'll have very impressive numbers.

Also, even when J Up struggled last season, his OBP and run total was still very high.

In addition to which,don't even expect Prado to have a .230 avg all season. He'll find his grove, most likely.

As you said, "time will tell."

Good post. Once the dust settles in baseball, stats usually tend to find their places. .300 batters will be batting .300 (look at Kemp) and the .230 hitters will be batting .230 (does anyone expect Mark Reynolds to hit .300 all year?)

One thing JUP always had going for him was his OBP. (Which we've seen)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Can you define "average" and "great" in numbers?

2) Are you saying the first month was the an anomaly and the last 10 days is the reality? Not sure what "Justin being Justin" is implying.

1. Average when compared to his history... "great" the same measuring stick.

2. You're correct.... I wasn't very clear about that. I was merely suggesting that JUp's play seems to have an on/off switch instead of an accelerator and brake. (maybe not the best metaphor, but I think you'll get the gist of what I mean... :D ).

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
Upton sucking air right now. Another defensive blunder in right today. Lets hope he doesn't decide to bust out of it starting Monday.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Bump.

Upton has seemed to come back down to earth a little. .261 and he isn't hitting nearly as many HR's.

And fortunately for the Dbacks, Prado is trending upward. IMO the trade is NEVER going to be equal value, but Prado is starting to look like the Prado of old. And we can't deny that the Dbacks are seeing success with this current roster. I'm excited to see what they can do with Eaton, Hill, and even Bloomquist back.

Lights

Reaction score
Upton had 2 HRs while hitting .221 with 30Ks in may. While Prado didn't have a great May either his OBP, SLG, OPS, and AVG were all higher than Uptons.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An OPS of .912, good enough for 10th in all of the NL. Mingling with names like Votto and Harper. Yeah who wants that?

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and sinking faster than a Randy Johnson fastball. The only reason it is that high is because of the way-over-the-top April he had. His OPS for May is 680.

AZ Native

Reaction score
AVG OBP SLG
.258 .369 .538

This is the Upton we traded.

It's more than that. As 82 stated, it is addition by subtraction. I don't think we would be in 1st place right now with Upton and Young in the lineup. It is just a different team without them. I hope Justin has an MVP season, good for him. But it was not working here. It is the whole picture and the climate of the club house, not just one player.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's more than that. As 82 stated, it is addition by subtraction. I don't think we would be in 1st place right now with Upton and Young in the lineup. It is just a different team without them. I hope Justin has an MVP season, good for him. But it was not working here. It is the whole picture and the climate of the club house, not just one player.
You're right! There is no "team" in the way either of them played.

It has certainly changed for the good for the D'backs this season. And it certainly would not have if either or both of them were still regulars in the batting order.

It doesn't bother me to make these comments about either of them because it was about attitude not skill or potential.

No one can expect perfection in performance or breaks or luck. But I expect it in attitude.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An OPS of .912, good enough for 10th in all of the NL. Mingling with names like Votto and Harper. Yeah who wants that?

Down to .847, behind Gerardo Parra.

Last 7 days - hitting .174, only one 2B, no 3B or HR, 4 hits total, no RBI's

Repeat, no RBI's. In fact, no RBI's in JUNE. 1 double. That is it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson