Game of Thrones (HBO)

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I prefer the books in this order - 3, 1, 5, 4, 2.

Two is by far the least of the bunch, but it doesn't make it bad, it's still pretty awesome.

Almost agree.

The best is without a doubt 3

The second best is a tie between 1 & 5

But I prefer 2 over 4.

I find the background stories about Dorne and Iron Islands below par. The story about Ayra is the strongest part of 4

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight's episode was the best one since season 1.

of all the new characters coming to the forefront this season, Joffrey's Queen to be is my favorite. I don't know what that chick is planning, but she's awesome.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Best episode of the series so far, I think. But by the time this season is done, we may not even think of it as the best of this year. I am loving this season so far!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight's episode was the best one since season 1.

of all the new characters coming to the forefront this season, Joffrey's Queen to be is my favorite. I don't know what that chick is planning, but she's awesome.

Yeah what a fantastic episode. LOVED it!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Best episode of the series so far, I think. But by the time this season is done, we may not even think of it as the best of this year. I am loving this season so far!

no of course not, I did not find this episode so great after reading the book I thought they spoilered too much what would happen to the slaver. Everyone knew his destiny. The book was more subtile.

WARNING SERIOUS SPOILER ALERT

The death of Robb Stark will trump it.
The death of Tywin even more so.
The death of Shea.
The death of Ygritte.
Joffrey is overdue anyway so nobody will shed a tear.

the differences to the book are piling up though, not that it must be a bad thing, they could never put the book into 10 episodes if they stayed closer to the book

- i don't remember all that Theon storylines in the book at all
- in the book the Dany promised the slaver all the cargo from her ship plus the dragon
- sir barristan only revealed himself way after the astapor
- i dont remember varys suggesting that zanza should marry a tyrell
- thoros the myr did not appear until the caves
- sam didnt flee the battle and escaped on his own, in the book the lord commander with his dying grasp gives him order to take the girl and the obsidian dagger and get to the wall

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
no of course not, I did not find this episode so great after reading the book I thought they spoilered too much what would happen to the slaver. Everyone knew his destiny. The book was more subtile.

WARNING SERIOUS SPOILER ALERT

The death of Robb Stark will trump it.
The death of Tywin even more so.
The death of Shea.
The death of Ygritte.
Joffrey is overdue anyway so nobody will shed a tear.

the differences to the book are piling up though, not that it must be a bad thing, they could never put the book into 10 episodes if they stayed closer to the book

- i don't remember all that Theon storylines in the book at all
- in the book the Dany promised the slaver all the cargo from her ship plus the dragon
- sir barristan only revealed himself way after the astapor
- i dont remember varys suggesting that zanza should marry a tyrell
- thoros the myr did not appear until the caves
- sam didnt flee the battle and escaped on his own, in the book the lord commander with his dying grasp gives him order to take the girl and the obsidian dagger and get to the wall

AAAAHHHHHH! DO NOT READ THE SERIOUS SPOILER ALERT! it is NOT about the last episode! it is forward looking into the upcoming episodes. and now i know something i wish i hadn't! damn you slinslin! damn you straight to hell!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
AAAAHHHHHH! DO NOT READ THE SERIOUS SPOILER ALERT! it is NOT about the last episode! it is forward looking into the upcoming episodes. and now i know something i wish i hadn't! damn you slinslin! damn you straight to hell!

He did kind of put a serious spoiler alert on it. Tsk tsk for reading ahead :D

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well I kind of put it into a spoiler tag, added extra spoiler warnings in red and made the spoiler text hard to read soo...

I hope you can still enjoy it lets just say that almost anyone is bound to die in this series that has been apparent since Ned Stark died in season 1. The more interesting question is how they die and why they die and those will be the best episodes.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I almost feel like we should make a separate thread for people who have read the books to exchange notes on the show.

I am among that crowd and there is so much here I am afraid to opine on because I dont want to even remotely give away something or reveal some bias that the books cause.

And speaking of... SPOILER ALERT!
Slin, about Theon's story. This story breakout of torture story line with does take place in the books but not until book five! So the show is starting to take some serious liberties with the sequence here.

As for the Tyrell marriage, Sansa was maneuvered to marry Margaery's gimpy uncle (at least I think it was an uncle), and for the sake of simplicity its easy to why they switched it to Loras. But you never see Varys himself propose it... but he was not a POV character. Olenna Tyrell via Sansa's POV is the one who presents it to the reader but who knows, Varys has his hands in everything so this TV story does got diverge much, and it fits with Varys long term agenda (which has not been revealed to the TV audience) to pit the great houses against each-other.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I almost feel like we should make a separate thread for people who have read the books to exchange notes on the show.

I am among that crowd and there is so much here I am afraid to opine on because I dont want to even remotely give away something or reveal some bias that the books cause.

And speaking of... SPOILER ALERT!
Slin, about Theon's story. This story breakout of torture story line with does take place in the books but not until book five! So the show is starting to take some serious liberties with the sequence here.

As for the Tyrell marriage, Sansa was maneuvered to marry Margaery's gimpy uncle (at least I think it was an uncle), and for the sake of simplicity its easy to why they switched it to Loras. But you never see Varys himself propose it... but he was not a POV character. Olenna Tyrell via Sansa's POV is the one who presents it to the reader but who knows, Varys has his hands in everything so this TV story does got diverge much, and it fits with Varys long term agenda (which has not been revealed to the TV audience) to pit the great houses against each-other.

I've read that in order to fit the story to the series, they are are more and less going to mix and match three, four and the start of book 5 in the next three seasons. But it makes sense as the 2nd half of book three pretty much throws the entire story up in the air and the pieces are landing left and right into early book 5. So they are going to structure the story more than the books.

Don't know how valid that is though as I haven't seen it comfirmed.
In the books, Olenna hinted a marriage into the Tyrell family and Sansa thought that she was talking about Loras. It was instead the older brother to Loras and Margaery, Willas Tyrell - the heir of Highgarten

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good episode. me thinks Daddy Lannister may have just overplayed his hand. Turning on both Cyrci and Tyrion at once is risky. the enemy of my enemy is my friend... he may have just made for two very strange bedfellows, making them adversaries against him.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
good episode. me thinks Daddy Lannister may have just overplayed his hand. Turning on both Cyrci and Tyrion at once is risky. the enemy of my enemy is my friend... he may have just made for two very strange bedfellows, making them adversaries against him.

:D

I am afraid the series is advancing way too quickly.

Differences to the book again and well book 6 and 7 are not even close to being finished and I highly highly doubt that the storylines can be finished by book 7 considering that at the end of book 5 it still feels that the story is just starting.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Another solid episode. They do seem to be setting major, and I mean MAJOR, plot points in motion really early. The only story that seems to be progressing at a pace similar to the books is Jon Snow's story. Everything else south of the wall seems to be accelerating, but his story is plodding along.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No the Jon Snow story is WAY WAY longer in the books.

In the books...
In the books ygritte and snow get together on the journey they have sex underneath furs while the other wildlings are in the camp with them.
There is also more about Jon Snow's interaction with other wildlings.

When they go to the cavs Ygritte tell's John stories about Grendel and Grendel's children and when she gets naked she puts out the torch and they are making love in the dark etc. When Ygritte tells Jon about staying in that cave forever there is no sense in the series that Jon truly considers it. Before this scene happens in the book I think some of the wildlings already attempted to climb the wall and one of the leaders died.

The series also fails to show the inner conflict of Jon loving Ygritte and plotting his escape to castle black before the wildlings reach it.

I think in the series they should put in some filler material and flashbacks. In this latest episode when the daughter of Stannis reads to Davos for a moment I thought they were going to give a flashback scene to Aegon and his dragons.

Btw I can't remember Stannis' daughter visiting Davos in the books. That's another part that is missing from the books Davos and Porridge.

I am afraid if the series keeps progressing at his pace in 2 years it will run out of material unless book six is released by then. And even then he will never finish book 7 within a year and probably will need 3 or more to somewhat finish the story lines. I mean book 4 and 5 BARELY progress the story from where book 3 stops.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I loved it. I love this show. I don't care about how this is different from the books.

p.s. If someone spoils something without using a spoiler tag they will be instantly dead to me. Do not screw up people..... In fact...... Go make another damn thread for safety reasons!!

The last 5 minutes of that episode were freaking classic!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome Episode!

So many great story lines picking up steam. Plus i'm not usually a big redhead fan but the Scottish chick playing Ygritte ain't too bad.

:devil:

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
p.s. If someone spoils something without using a spoiler tag they will be instantly dead to me. Do not screw up people..... In fact...... Go make another damn thread for safety reasons!!

This already happened to me in a major way. Spoiler tags usually mean important stuff from the most recent episodes but now they seem to just be people who have read the books giving away major future plot points.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON'T read spoilers on this thread. Book readers know a ton more than what's going on. Definitely don't read a Red Serious Spoiler Alert spoiler for sure. WTF, Ouchie? LMAO.

Stout

Reaction score
This already happened to me in a major way. Spoiler tags usually mean important stuff from the most recent episodes but now they seem to just be people who have read the books giving away major future plot points.

If I haven't seen a recent episode of a show, or haven't read a book a show is based on, I simply avoid spoilers like the plague. Why risk it? They are, after all, spoilers, so you can't be upset when you get burned.

Slinslin, even though the show is diverging from the books in certain areas, they're doing it incredibly well. Contrary to what you believe, while some plots are being hastened, others are being slowed. The differences are also ones that in no way take away from the awesomeness of the story.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
If I haven't seen a recent episode of a show, or haven't read a book a show is based on, I simply avoid spoilers like the plague. Why risk it? They are, after all, spoilers, so you can't be upset when you get burned.

Slinslin, even though the show is diverging from the books in certain areas, they're doing it incredibly well. Contrary to what you believe, while some plots are being hastened, others are being slowed. The differences are also ones that in no way take away from the awesomeness of the story.

So true. My only gripe is that the budget can't keep up with my imagination. Some of the epic battles are cut out completely and then discussed as exposition. I understand it, but I wish they had more cash to build those up a little. Other than that, they've done the single greatest adaptation of any written material I have ever seen (so far).

Stout

Reaction score
So true. My only gripe is that the budget can't keep up with my imagination. Some of the epic battles are cut out completely and then discussed as exposition. I understand it, but I wish they had more cash to build those up a little. Other than that, they've done the single greatest adaptation of any written material I have ever seen (so far).

Except most of the epic battles weren't written out in the book anyway, so the show is bang on in that respect.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as exciting as the last few episodes but it's setting up a great season finale in a few weeks.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Not as exciting as the last few episodes but it's setting up a great season finale in a few weeks.

I think it's becoming really interesting. I've read the books, but still looking forward to a new episode every week. I obviously know the overall plot, but the series have changed the timeline a lot.

There are several major events coming up, but I doubt there will be time to fit them all in this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson