Ray Horton out, Todd Bowles in as Cardinals DC

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
According to many here now, Horton was carried by the talent despite having scru....wait elite players like Lenon, Gay, Acho, Groves, Schofield and Johnson starting. :(

Now we want to replace him with a guy who was giving up 30 points weekly despite working with a allstar team.
icon13.gif

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to many here now, Horton was carried by the talent despite having scru....wait elite players like Lenon, Gay, Acho, Groves, Schofield and Johnson starting. :(

Now we want to replace him with a guy who was giving up 30 points weekly despite working with a allstar team.
icon13.gif
lol, lotta truth there. But there's no "want" involved. If he gets replaced, he gets replaced. I wish the guy was our HC, and definitely DEFINITELY our DC. But he's not the HC FOR SURE, and it sounds pretty set that he's no longer the DC. He handled the situation poorly, but **** happens in the heat of the moment. I would love to hear they worked it out and he signed a huge extension to stay, but if not, the show goes on and I will still be cheering for my Cardinals

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I posted awhile back that I thought any new coach, I used Haley as an example, would not keep Horton around. Why would a new coach want a guy most of the fans were clamoring for to be the HC on his staff?

I've always said retaining Horton shouldn't be a factor in who gets hired. That doesn't mean I like the hire. I'll take a wait and see attitude but I don't see how anyone can think Arians is a more qualified or better HC than Whiz. But that doesn't matter now. The Cardinals way, let a guy go and replace him with the same type of guy, only at less money.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If you interview twice for the job and a week going into two weeks later the team is still interviewing candidates doesn't common sense come into play and tell you guess what they are not going to hire me as the HC.

Can Horton really be that stupid?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Man I expected this if Horton wasn't hired HC- it is normal- I mean buddy Ryan with the bears before ditka was a big deal! and so would this be- New HC should get his DC- just is what it is

Horton isn't close to being the defensive Rock Star that Buddy Ryan was in Chicago...oh, and Buddy's defense was the best ever, not just top 10...and they won a Super Bowl.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Horton isn't close to being the defensive Rock Star that Buddy Ryan was in Chicago...oh, and Buddy's defense was the best ever, not just top 10...and they won a Super Bowl.

We hear the same arguments every time the Cardinals do something controversial. The guy leaving goes from hero to bum and the guy coming in becomes the new hero for half the posters and the other half claim it's a bad move.

The only thing we know for sure is that the odds are always good that the Cardinals will finish 5-11.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
We hear the same arguments every time the Cardinals do something controversial. The guy leaving goes from hero to bum and the guy coming in becomes the new hero for half the posters and the other half claim it's a bad move.

The only thing we know for sure is that the odds are always good that the Cardinals will finish 5-11.

As someone posted earlier...5-11 with Horton and 5-11 without.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
If you interview twice for the job and a week going into two weeks later the team is still interviewing candidates doesn't common sense come into play and tell you guess what they are not going to hire me as the HC.

Can Horton really be that stupid?

More likely he felt he was used and disrespected. FWIW

Regardless giving 58 points up to your division rival is not a feather you want in your cap when you seek a promotion with same management

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
More likely he felt he was used and disrespected. FWIW

Regardless giving 58 points up to your division rival is not a feather you want in your cap when you seek a promotion with same management

Easy enough to explain. The offense committed EIGHT turnovers in that game.
When you can show that your defense enabled the Cardinals to win 6 games with John Skelton at QB, JOHN SKELTON!!!, and beat New England in Foxboro that Seattle game shouldn't be a big deal for your employers.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
...and beat New England in Foxboro that Seattle game shouldn't be a big deal for your employers.

Um, yeah it will. You give two prime scenarios that potential employers would ask.

"Can you describe/explain your game plan for the following two games, NE and SEA, and tell us what went right and what went wrong?"

Explaining good and bad situations is common in any interview. If Hortons answer is the same as yours, "The offense commited 8 TO's", he just lost the job.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If there are truth to the rumors about Horton confronting Keim, then Horton is an idiot and hardly a leader of men. I can't blame Horton for being upset that he was not hired as HC, and upset with how the Cardinals went about the process. However, it is foolhardy to then blow up at the GM. You only have one year left on your contract and there is a chance the new head coach will replace you anyway. Horton's blow up does nothing for his situtation other than show he has a poor temperment because their is a good chance he will be released anyway.

Dumb move from what I thought was a smart guy.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I posted awhile back that I thought any new coach, I used Haley as an example, would not keep Horton around. Why would a new coach want a guy most of the fans were clamoring for to be the HC on his staff?

I've always said retaining Horton shouldn't be a factor in who gets hired. That doesn't mean I like the hire. I'll take a wait and see attitude but I don't see how anyone can think Arians is a more qualified or better HC than Whiz. But that doesn't matter now. The Cardinals way, let a guy go and replace him with the same type of guy, only at less money.

+1

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If there are truth to the rumors about Horton confronting Keim, then Horton is an idiot and hardly a leader of men. I can't blame Horton for being upset that he was not hired as HC, and upset with how the Cardinals went about the process. However, it is foolhardy to then blow up at the GM. You only have one year left on your contract and there is a chance the new head coach will replace you anyway. Horton's blow up does nothing for his situtation other than show he has a poor temperment because their is a good chance he will be released anyway.

Agree. I actually think the Bruce Arians hire has the potential to retain a decent defense depending on who he brings in as D.C. I really think the Cardinal offense has no where to go but up from the 32nd ranked 2012 unit. If that happens as I expect, it will take some pressure off our defense to be on the field so much. That alone would be an improvement.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. I actually think the Bruce Arians hire has the potential to retain a decent defense depending on who he brings in as D.C. I really think the Cardinal offense has no where to go but up from the 32nd ranked 2012 unit. If that happens as I expect, it will take some pressure off our defense to be on the field so much. That alone would be an improvement.

I agree. The problem is that even with dramatic improvement from the O & steady play from the D, we may still lose 5 games within our division.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Um, yeah it will. You give two prime scenarios that potential employers would ask.

"Can you describe/explain your game plan for the following two games, NE and SEA, and tell us what went right and what went wrong?"

Explaining good and bad situations is common in any interview. If Hortons answer is the same as yours, "The offense commited 8 TO's", he just lost the job.

If you are so dumb that you don't know the effect that 8 turnovers would have on a defense and place more emphasis on the score of that game ignoring the fact that the D gave up 7 points the week before and 10 points the week after and was the best defense your franchise had in 15 years then I wouldn't want to work for you anyway.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

and more so -- a guy who would likely leave after the 2013 season because he was passed over

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, from the comments here http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_strong_frontr.html Browns fans are just as upset about the possibility of adding Horton as some of you are at losing him.
lol, they're mad about getting a guy that took a defense in shambles and turned it into a top 5 defense in 2 years? They deserve to suck

agreed. So much agreed

More qualified? He gets that designation (for this team only) because Whiz lost the team. I'd rather a fresh face that the players don't know if they'll buy into or not than the guy that the players KNOW they don't trust

plus, you keep that coach because it's the best move for the team. And that's your job, to do what's best for the team. It would probably lead to more players and fans liking him too. Instead of the split attitude we have now

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow.. A couple of weeks ago he seemed to be The Guy. The fans like him. He built a heck of a defense (our only bright spot this year) and he's no longer a Cardinal.

Unbelievable. The bright spot for the team and he's totally out.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn